Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
Still find it somewhat intimidating though Magnum. Looking at the issues you were working through, constantly regapping plugs, swapping tunes, having the car's AFR walking around... You know? It's good that Lil's car took the stock tune without issue.

What's it like living with an IPF supercharger day-to-day? This is my DD, and will be getting driven 600 km / week, 52 weeks a year, including through cold winters.
No offense and I say this in the nicest way possible but if you're going to be going FI, you're going to have to be ready to keep up with FI. No FI is completely pain free. The IPF kit gets close but you'll still need to do oil changes on the blower. You'll also probably want to have an AFR gauge to make sure everything is running accordingly. You have to realize that when you go FI, things can go wrong and if they do, just be ready to deal with them.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Still find it somewhat intimidating though Magnum. Looking at the issues you were working through, constantly regapping plugs, swapping tunes, having the car's AFR walking around... You know? It's good that Lil's car took the stock tune without issue.

What's it like living with an IPF supercharger day-to-day? This is my DD, and will be getting driven 600 km / week, 52 weeks a year, including through cold winters.
I drive my Camaro every day to work twice since I go home for lunch. I put about 60 miles per day and my MPG is the same as pre-supercharger. As far as the problems, I'm mostly trying to get the most power I can from this setup since I am racing a Mustang all the time and they have lighter weight and better power mode.

My problems all started with the ported intake manifold breaking, something happened to the car that seems to have been fixed finally.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
No offense and I say this in the nicest way possible but if you're going to be going FI, you're going to have to be ready to keep up with FI. No FI is completely pain free. The IPF kit gets close but you'll still need to do oil changes on the blower. You'll also probably want to have an AFR gauge to make sure everything is running accordingly. You have to realize that when you go FI, things can go wrong and if they do, just be ready to deal with them.
No offence taken. I want to know what I'm in for, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to discuss it with me. Oil changes on the blower are no problem. What's the lubricant worth... $30 / change or so? No biggy. I was planning on getting a gauge pod setup on my A-pillar with AFR and boost. AFR because it's useful, boost because it's sexy.

I'm not expecting it to be pain free. I'm just hoping it won't be a never ending hassle that makes me regret the car. What Magnum was going through with the plugs and tunes would be about my limit. Hopefully that was something to do with his other mods.

That fuel economy is similar is good. Has anybody written off any transmissions or motors yet with the IPF kit? I know vader wrote off a driveshaft, but that's not to bad. Wouldn't want to be eating tranny's though.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
lscamaro

Quote:
No offence taken. I want to know what I'm in for, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to discuss it with me. Oil changes on the blower are no problem. What's the lubricant worth... $30 / change or so? No biggy. I was planning on getting a gauge pod setup on my A-pillar with AFR and boost. AFR because it's useful, boost because it's sexy.

I'm not expecting it to be pain free. I'm just hoping it won't be a never ending hassle that makes me regret the car. What Magnum was going through with the plugs and tunes would be about my limit. Hopefully that was something to do with his other mods.

That fuel economy is similar is good. Has anybody written off any transmissions or motors yet with the IPF kit? I know vader wrote off a driveshaft, but that's not to bad. Wouldn't want to be eating tranny's though.
Are you auto or manual? Are your only mods MRT v2? If your only mod is the MRT, and you bolt on the IPF kit, you won't go through any tranny's or engines. These engines can take more than you think.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
stevey_frac

I'm a manual. For right now, My only mod is the MRTv2. Love the sound. I'm planning a bunch of brake, and suspension work next, then I want to go for FI. I was debating doing long tube headers... They should complement the IPF kit nicely, if they have their tune for them figured out.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
lscamaro

Quote:
I'm a manual. For right now, My only mod is the MRTv2. Love the sound. I'm planning a bunch of brake, and suspension work next, then I want to go for FI. I was debating doing long tube headers... They should complement the IPF kit nicely, if they have their tune for them figured out.
They do. I would save a bit of money for a clutch upgrade in case it's needed. Some people needed it while others didn't. I'd still be prepared for it just in case. If you don't need the upgrade, then no harm and you have mod money. Brake and suspension work would be great. And yes they have the tune for headers figured out

Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #21
Vader2011v6

Drives: 2014 custom blue ZL1
Once everything is all tuned the car runs great. As for reliability I've driven my car everyday and extremely long road trips. Longest straight road trip was 8 hours. Just make sure to follow up with your oil and check out the catch can often.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'd do the IPF kit again. Everyday driving is no problem; you hardly even know it's there until you ask it to wake up, as in rev it over 4K RPM. Oil changes are about $15 and after the initial 2500 mile change, you need to do it every 7500 miles. If you're worried about the belt, keep the stock belt in the trunk, along with an 8mm hex wrench, 1/2" breaker bar and an extension and you can drive it home after putting the original belt on.

I've also taken mine on long trips with no problems; mileage on the highway is actually slightly better with the system than without it, but maybe that's just because I've got more miles on the car now.

My car is all stock, except for the mods in my signature. Stock clutch, driveline, catalysts, tires, etc. No problems.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
stevey_frac

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I would tend to want to do my S/C changes at the same time I do my regular changes, which is somewhat less than 7500 miles.

My eventual goal is road racing at the local track, which is why the S/C is a bit down on my list. I also want my warranty to run out a little bit more before I go bolting one of these bad boys on.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Last edited by stevey_frac; 10-28-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wrong units
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I have the IPF SC kit and my car is a daily driver. I have 22k on the system and so far the only issue was the idler pulley bearing seized. I caught it quickly and made it home 20 miles without shredding the belt. Withe the new bearings that IPF has upgraded to there shouldn't be this issue again.
I had an issue with the tune at first but it turned out to be MAF and MAF wiring issues.
I am very satisfied with the system and support from IPF. It was the maturity and quality of the system that made me go with it.
As far as changing blower lube I just do it when I change my oil. Extra 5 min. is all it takes.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'd just like to say that while it seems most IPF kits might have their quirks and what not, I don't think that what Magnum is going through is common...in fact I highly doubt it is common.

IPF has sold 100+ of these kits from what I understand, and if they were all trash we'd know about it. But as you seem to understand....ANYTHING can happen and it is an additional risk and additional headache that you must be willing to deal with.

You having an LLT I feel makes it a bit worse. Even though I feel IPF is easily the best equipped at tuning FI applications for the LLT, it seems like in most cases there are always small tweaks to be made. Of course, tuning without a dyno (which is how most of these are done) makes it MUCH harder to dial in a perfect tune in my opinion. Also, I feel the LLT is a less mature engine than the newer LFX, and just seems to be a bit more prone to problems.

If you had an LFX...I'd say go for it and don't look back.

I love my car so much, but at the same time I hate the fact that it is an LLT. I should not have to be fearful of throwing this well developed FI application on my car, but yet I am...just worried I'll throw a timing chain or worse I'll get the magical dissapearing oil and I'll be out big time in repair bills.

In a nutshell....IPF is the best option. Most likely you won't have big issues, but nobody can tell you for sure. They do offer a warranty as well so that is something.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
stevey_frac

That's kind of why I want to hold off a little longer on the install. As I said, my application is road racing, so I have a lot of other work I want to do first. But I can't help but thing that at some point, having 400 RWHP is going to be a hell of an asset down the back straight.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
what about the ips tt's?
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvyf22 View Post
what about the ips tt's?
You have an LFX V6 engine...not the LLT which is in the 2010s and 2011s. So you have more options. Yes the IPS TT seems to be a good option for the LFX, although more expensive than the IPF SC...its also more powerful (make the car a beast!). More power is good, but probably means you'd need to spend more money on support mods.