Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Bad news for anyone thinking of installing an aftermarket head unit

I just got done watching the Chevy dealer training video on DIC functions, and if you were thinking of replacing your headunit, you will be dissappointed to find out that would be a very bad thing to do.

Vehicle operations are controled through the DIC, and since there are so many, sub menus are controled through the head unit. So, for changing the lighting sequence when you operate the remote locks, if one door or both doors unlock when you hit the unlock button, if you want auto locking and/or unlocking, and other vehicle operations are performed through the factory headunit.

You adjust the length of your headlamp delay through it, if you have remote start, you adjust how long you want the engine to run in the head unit (up to 10 minutes).

You select the main menu in the DIC, and then it transfers the sub menu into the head unit, and from there you make your adjustments.

All of this would not only be lost if you removed the head unit (which, since it's integrated into the climate control functions I don't know if you could do anyway), but could cause computer and DIC malfunctions if you go into the DIC and it's missing a few parts.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
I'm sure there will be a way... I've heard of install shops relocating the factory head unit to the trunk and running aftermarket up front. If there's a will there's a way.

Last edited by LS3SSRS; 03-27-2009 at 01:03 AM.
LS3SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Sctrjn21

Drives: 11 Ford Edge, 09 Lexus
do you have a link to the video? I would like to see. I am sure someone will find a hack some time or another.
Sctrjn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I'm sure someone will figure it out....but at least its a capable unit in the area of connectivity. ie...bluetooth, ipod, usb.

Cadillac's CTS still has the coolest feature I think for a factory unit...."Pause"

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

MOST if not all OEM radios in GM cars/trucks are so integrated into the car's systems its not funny. in Monty I have to change settings like how long the lights stay on when i hit the unlock on the keyfob or if i want to disable the 'chirp' from the lock/unlock etc using the radio buttons. I am glad my head unit has AM/FM CD built in and the speakers sound so good i have been holding off on putting in my 6.5" and 6x9" Pioneer speakers I pulled out of my Dodge Stratus.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctrjn21 View Post
do you have a link to the video? I would like to see. I am sure someone will find a hack some time or another.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SSRS View Post
I'm sure there will be a way... I've heard of install shops relocating the factory head unit to the trunk and running aftermarket up front. If there's a will there's a way.
people have done the exact same thing with their E39s, just extending the wiring of the head unit to the glove box and wiring the new head unit through an input in the original

everything is possible.

(anyone know how to get a hold of the wiring diagrams?)
Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
When I worked in Car Stereo shops in the late 90's early 00's I believe it was the Honda Civic we first had to do this with, the door locks wouldn't work if you disconnected the factory stereo or something like that. So we would splice the new HU into the wiring but leave the factory unit in there and powered up hidden in the bottom part of the dash or console ( I dont even remember...)
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
When I worked in Car Stereo shops in the late 90's early 00's I believe it was the Honda Civic we first had to do this with, the door locks wouldn't work if you disconnected the factory stereo or something like that. So we would splice the new HU into the wiring but leave the factory unit in there and powered up hidden in the bottom part of the dash or console ( I dont even remember...)

Yeah, they put the remote lock receiver in the head unit. Taking out the factory head unit dissabled the power door locks completely.

The way things work in the Camaro is a little more complicated - the head unit is now integrated with the car's body control module computer. Besides important vehicle operation controls, there's no telling what else you might loose if you remove it.

If someone is going to come up with a "hack", it's going to me more than jumping a few wires - it will have to have some software codes and menu operations.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
wern't the H2's like this when they first came out, and stereo guys figured out a way araound it then. i think its nice that they tried to incorporate so many cool featured into the car, but why design it in ta way to prevent easy customization ??? the dash layout is so odd that i dont even know if you could easily put a nice unit in there (like my Alpine w205 double did dvd screen that fits so awesomely in my jeep now and when it goes back won;t have a new home) haha

Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
num1panthersfan

Drives: Mazda Rx-8
Damn!! Thats pretty disappointing cuz they don't even provide a navi system in the deck. I want something aftermarket cuz they provide more power to the amps and I don't plan on buying the boston acoustic setup they offer.
num1panthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Yep, I had a 98 Honda Civic, I had to tie the factory head unit off behind the dash, fortunately there was room.

Personally I am getting to the age... or desire to no longer install aftermarket stereos anymore, I have done it with every vehicle I have owned... the last being the FJ of course... ugh it took forever (to do it right) I think if I do anything to my CAMARO I will maybe replace the factory paper cone speakers and maybe add an aftermarket sub box. Nothing outlandish... I'm already losing my hear... LOL Maybe a solid sounding 8 or 10" in a box, just enough to get a decent thump, nothing to set off alarms... been there done that...

But as Nexus states add to it not replace (except the paper cones if that's what they end up being)

Last edited by SummoneR; 03-28-2009 at 03:59 PM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I only plan on adding to it,not replacing it

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Jeep View Post
wern't the H2's like this when they first came out, and stereo guys figured out a way araound it then. i think its nice that they tried to incorporate so many cool featured into the car, but why design it in ta way to prevent easy customization ??? the dash layout is so odd that i dont even know if you could easily put a nice unit in there (like my Alpine w205 double did dvd screen that fits so awesomely in my jeep now and when it goes back won;t have a new home) haha
More and more cars are integrating the factory stereo with the rest of the car as a cost cutting measure. It allows for some nice things, until it comes to upgrading the head unit.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote