Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #351
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Tail lights too big for my liking, too round. More restricted trunk access is not a plus. Sticking with my 5th gen!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #352
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Pretty sure this will not be a hatch but the third gen was and they sold fine. The Corvette is now and people are snatching them up just fine. It's not like we're talking about a Sonic here. Oh and those are selling well too... lol

SS + manual = Love that car and glad it's getting a third pedal.

Overall people are freaking out over nothing. There's so much of this car that hasn't been seen. Like all of it! lol The current car has so many options and variants that between V8's and V6's and possibly turbo 4cyl's and most likely RS and 1LE options and a ton of graphic and color combos you will find a 6th gen to love. With the 5th gen there is still so much love/hate over things that have changed over time. Most of us have been through this before. Sit back. Soak in the spy shots, leaks, and teasers, and wait till the car is unveiled. Then you can freak out... lol
Can't count the Corvette. It has staid a hatch for the last 30 years.

The Gen 3 and 4 cars didn't do all that well ultimately leading to death. Remember when GM had 2, two yes one and then another plant building Camaro and Firebird? Norwood Ohio, where Fenwick's dad worked and Van Nuys California.

80,000 Camaros is not a hot seller historically.

But the biggest reason for a hatch and why they are so popular in Europe is versatility. I don't think people buy Camaros for versatility.

The downfall and biggest reason whey I don't think you'll see a hatch is simply body structure. It will suck for what the Camaro intends to be.

If you look at the numbers, HBs don't sell. The biggest and most recent example was one of the best and hottest performance HB was the Subaru WRX. Sedan only, at least for now.

I'm not saying they wouldn't................just highly unlikely based on poor sales of HBs and Wagons in the US market and the huge loss of structural rigidity that will impact the performance aspects of the car.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #353
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Tail lights too big for my liking, too round. More restricted trunk access is not a plus. Sticking with my 5th gen!
What tail lights are you talking about? You can't even see them in the pics. I would guess that because of this being the very fist pics that it doesn't even have taillights other than something from JC Whitney hidden under the vinyl padding and the mesh that is used to cover head lamps and tail lamps.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #354
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

The Gen 3 and 4 cars didn't do all that well ultimately leading to death. Remember when GM had 2, two yes one and then another plant building Camaro and Firebird? Norwood Ohio, where Fenwick's dad worked and Van Nuys California.

80,000 Camaros is not a hot seller historically.

But the biggest reason for a hatch and why they are so popular in Europe is versatility. I don't think people buy Camaros for versatility.

The downfall and biggest reason whey I don't think you'll see a hatch is simply body structure. It will suck for what the Camaro intends to be.

If you look at the numbers, HBs don't sell. The biggest and most recent example was one of the best and hottest performance HB was the Subaru WRX. Sedan only, at least for now.

I'm not saying they wouldn't................just highly unlikely based on poor sales of HBs and Wagons in the US market and the huge loss of structural rigidity that will impact the performance aspects of the car.
Remember back in the 60's Chevrolet was selling almost as many cars total than the entire GM lineup is today. I remember when just the Impala was selling over a million units a year. No American carmaker is selling as many cars as they did years ago. In today's market the Camaro is selling very well.
http://www.oldride.com/library/1965_...et_impala.html
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #355
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
I am almost positive I'm not asking for a sft fuelneffiiebt Cmaro. Somebody is jumping to a wild conclusion.

Here is what I believe we are getting.

An LT1 ith an 8 speed auto or 7 speed manual for n SS. That I neithervoftbor fuel efficient. I'm pretty sure that will even satisfy them"muscle" crowd.

I think that SS will come in about 200 or so pounds less than the current SS.

I think that makes for a 35 HP increase and a 200 pound decrease which should make most people pretty $&@/:&ing happy.

That, however, only makes a better Camaro. It doesn't make a great car.

What will define the Gen6 as a truly great car will be the Merritt's of the non LT1 variants.

You guys are arguing against me when the very basics that I wn satisfy the "muscle" guys. I just want wayyyyy more than you because I know what they cn do if they choose to and have the courage to.

If they just put anLT1 under the hood of that smaller lighter car most of you will be happy......livery happy. I just have te luxury of mowing what these guys are capable of and I just want that. GMs best effort.
As I've said before....I really really like your enthusiasm and passion for a "great" 6th gen...but I think everyone here including myself are confused about what you are wanting? Could you explain? Your comments are generally well thought out, so that's why I'm asking.

To me....the 6th gen on the Alpha chassis (already great!) combined with the LT1 V8 (another great thing!) in a car the same size or slightly smaller (what we want!) with a vastly improved interior (another great thing!) adds up to one hell of a great car.

What more can we ask for from a low $30,000 Camaro??? It has got to stay affordable.

Are you specifically talking about looks? Are you hoping for a move away from the 5th gen looks, to something completely revolutionary. A design so crazy that nobody would expect it, but yet blow us away??

Or are you talking about the car as a whole (chassis, engine, interior, exterior)?? Because I think what I said above really covers a DAMN good car as a whole....the only remaining question is what it will look like.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #356
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
"What more can we ask for from a low $30,000 Camaro?"

More window viewing, and blind spot alert
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #357
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
"What more can we ask for from a low $30,000 Camaro?"

More window viewing, and blind spot alert
I would prefer more HP and less curb weight
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #358
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
As I've said before....I really really like your enthusiasm and passion for a "great" 6th gen...but I think everyone here including myself are confused about what you are wanting? Could you explain? Your comments are generally well thought out, so that's why I'm asking.

To me....the 6th gen on the Alpha chassis (already great!) combined with the LT1 V8 (another great thing!) in a car the same size or slightly smaller (what we want!) with a vastly improved interior (another great thing!) adds up to one hell of a great car.

What more can we ask for from a low $30,000 Camaro??? It has got to stay affordable.

Are you specifically talking about looks? Are you hoping for a move away from the 5th gen looks, to something completely revolutionary. A design so crazy that nobody would expect it, but yet blow us away??

Or are you talking about the car as a whole (chassis, engine, interior, exterior)?? Because I think what I said above really covers a DAMN good car as a whole....the only remaining question is what it will look like.
First, I'm not even suggesting the Camaro should be over $30,000 for an LT1.

Second, the chassis technology is pretty predictable at this point. If it is off Alpha then the body structure and chassis are pretty much locked within a certain bandwidth. They can tune within that bandwidth, but the car will only deliver on what is in the architecture. I do have some concerns that they will actually decontent the chassis a bit for cost. I hope that doesn't happen but there are some areas of the architecture with premium materials for low weight to compete head on with the BMW 3 and 5 Series.

Third, I agree, it needs to BE a Camaro. That doesn't mean it has to look like any previous generation car. But it has to be one. Now what that means exactly is a hundred different answers on size, styling, "muscle" etc.

Lastly, what I hope we get is a car with no compromises. And by that I don't mean it has a Cadillac interior and fit and finish. It won't simply because that is the reason to buy a Cadillac.

My SS for example has nice materials, alcantera leather for example mixed with perforated leather. But it is simply tacked on in areas so they can say they have it.

Opel in Germany does some pretty nice interiors. Go look at a Buick Verano or Regal. Both Opels by design. I would hope we get an interior that is in that league with soft touch IP and door trim as a starter.

Styling needs to be something special. And doing this will be the hardest thing IMO. Again, putting a 7/8th scale Gen5 car on an Alpha Chassis with an LT1 and an 8 speed would be a GREAT car. But that would just be easy. As I said the Chinese could whip out that car in 6 months.

Also, my fear is that like the Impala is restricted by the Lacrosse and XTS, I don't want GM to have to hold back on the Camaro. The Epsilon Chassis has a hyper strut front and linked h-arm rear that are optional on the Buick, Standard on the Cadillac and NOT AVAILABLE on the Chevy.

I am hoping GM lets this car go beyond those brand boundaries and shackles like they have done with the Corvette. The Corvette is as good as it can be while maintaining a value proposition. But the reason the XLR failed was primarily that the Corvette was so good. It had a cool folding top, but the better powertrain was in the Corvette.

Styling isn't my real beef. I just don't want them holding on to the past with it. It's too easy. But with the Mustang, BMW 4, Audi A5, Hyundai Genesis all having carving out a style in the same segment, GM needs to be great here, not safe.

I am sure if we put a modern powertrain and safety systems in a 57 Belaire it would sell. That isn't the point.

So the easy part is the architecture, chassis tuning and powertrain choice. Those are simple decisions that I expect are already made. Alpha chassis, great tuning for ride and handling which Alpha can deliver, and an LT1. Forget the 3.6 TT. unless you want FE that shouldn't even be in the mix.

So to me the win, the stretch, delivering the unexpected will be the styling, materials and features. And that's where I hope this car score huge on the value proposition and destroys the competition at the same time.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #359
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice

Gens 1, 2, 3 & 5 had distinct new looks compared to previous models. Gen 4 was more evolutionary. I want a fresh new Camaro design, as new as were Gens 1, 2, 3 & 5.

The interior has to step up from the Corvette. The C7 is a huge leap forward for Chevrolet sports / muscle car design. Spend some time in it and enjoy it. Then go sit in a BMW 6 series. There is a big difference in base price, about $15k, but the interior quality of the BMW makes the new C7 feel like double the difference.

Back in 2009, I knew how capable the 5th Gen chassis was when up fit to 305/30/19s, better brakes, more power and suspension. The factory built Z/28 is proof to everyone that the Camaro TEAM can build a Camaro that commands the respect of all enthusiasts.

The new generation of GM engines can make power. That is a given.

We come back to exterior and interior design and execution with price point constraints. I want TEAM Camaro to blow me away with a new exciting design that will be fresh in 2020 with an interior that makes me ask how did they do this!?!?!

TEAM Camaro -- Find new roads, don't take me down memory lane.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #360
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
TEAM Camaro -- Find new roads, don't take me down memory lane.

...and somehow, under all that LuluLemon-meets-Spanx-meets-Batman costume the mule is wearing, I think that's what we'll find!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #361
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Styling needs to be something special. And doing this will be the hardest thing IMO. Again, putting a 7/8th scale Gen5 car on an Alpha Chassis with an LT1 and an 8 speed would be a GREAT car. But that would just be easy. As I said the Chinese could whip out that car in 6 months.
You know, 9/10th scale would make a lot more sense. I like smaller cars but 7/8 would be tiny (i.e., the size of the Scion/Subaru twins).

With that said, if a Chinese-built knockoff 7/8 Camaro with a knockoff LT1 on a knockoff Alpha platform actually existed, that'd likely be a hell of a fun little car!
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #362
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Not only the hood vents and large front fascia that some have mentioned. It appears there could be some C7 corvette style quarter panel vents in front of and above the rear tires

This is all reminiscent of time before I ordered my car in 2008. All the crazy speculation and complaining

Last edited by TLSTWIN; 07-19-2014 at 02:43 PM.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #363
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Not only the hood vents and large front fascia that some have mentioned. It appears there could be some C7 corvette style quarter panel vents in front of and above the rear tires

This is all reminiscent of time before I ordered my car in 2008. All the crazy speculation and complaining
There is so much shaped foam stuffing underneath all the black bra's I think were going to be in for a shock what this car really looks like. It looks like they're intentionally at this point trying to make it look like a 5th gen. Knowing what the car really looks like, Im sure the Camaro team are getting a good laugh at all the comments all over the internet about these images.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #364
alan91z28

Drives: 82,85,88,88,89,91 Camaro,88TA,87GN
Quote:

personally i like all generations of Camaros and Firebirds and even though i like the 3rd gens by far the best and collect them, i appreciate all of them

also no intent to get into any back and forth, but not sure why you make a comment like the above. if you look at the sales of 3rd gens, they ended up selling way more Camaros in that generation than in the present 5th gen (in '82 there were ~190K camaros made and while in '92 it was down to ~70K camaros that was after 11 years with that body style... also those numbers don't include the pontiacs)... GM made their money off that generation for sure

again i appreciate the 5th gen, but those are now also only made in one plant as well and even though it doesn't match the sales records of earlier years we would all say 5th gen has been a success and looking forward to the 6th gen.

obviously for myself i wouldn't mind at all 3rd gen ques in the 6th gen as that would probably make me buy one or more of them for sure, but i am sure whatever GM comes up with they will keep Camaro being the pony car leader
alan91z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation