Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #29
MarouG6327

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
You do realize the M-D Line is just north of you, right? You have no issues with winter?
I'm not sure if you asking me or not but we just had one of the worst winters in Chicago. So the winter does play a big factor. It's just my dad makes the audi seem like its amazing in the snow.
MarouG6327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Maybe you can meet your dad in the middle and get a V6, it's no slouch when it comes to power. Ordinarily I'd say respect your old man but talk to him about a V6. He might be more willing to try the Camaro then. Pay it off and grab a V8 in a couple of years, you got time and Gen 6 is right around the corner. That'll give you time to get used to the car anyway.

The Camaro is just fine in the snow. Just drove it through a winter in Chi-town. Throw some winters on and don't drive crazy and you'll pass many an AWD on the side of the road.

There's a gang load of threads on here about SSes and their mileage. It's not horrible. Again, I'd consider a V6, this addresses this issue right away. It's one of the talking points for it.

EDIT: If the A4 is paid off, I'd say that's a hell of a deal you're passing up. Might want to keep that in mind.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #31
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
What kind of an 18 year old drives an SS while paying rent? Not to mention that he also needs to eat and pay other bills.
one that's managed to save 25 grand by 17 I imagine. Seems to have a pretty good handle on money management.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Well, I would have to disagree with this part of your post. Fathers have every "right" to tell their 17 year-old children what to do.

OP: I think your father is correct that the Audi is a "more practical" car for you at this time. Take the Audi and take good care of it. Meanwhile, keep saving your money and once you are on your own you will have a decent trade-in and can get whatever you want and can afford. Patience, young man.
My bad I thought he was 18 . How the heck do you save $25 K that quick?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #33
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
I have had two AWD Infiniti's for the last 8 years. Hit the SNOW button and the AWD system is great, never had even a slip in Massachusetts winters, unless I wanted to

Now a 3800 pound plus car (Camaro) outfitted with correct snow tires and RWD? Should be ZERO issue. The problem is inexperienced drivers and/or idiots get in a car in snow and mash the gas just like in summer and are surprised things go bad. I would assume anyone looking into a Camaro wants feedback from the car and understands car handling dynamics.

Don't rely on systems and AWD promises, you need to know how to drive in bad conditions.

Sorry to ramble on. If it is really YOUR money then buy what you want. No offense but this kind of car at your age seems a bit much. Some things need to be aspired to and grown into. Better to graduate from crap box, to bad car, to not bad, then I love this car. THEN dream car.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #34
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
one that's managed to save 25 grand by 17 I imagine. Seems to have a pretty good handle on money management.
He rode the IBB biotech bubble probably. Hope he cashes out
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #35
bluels3

Drives: 2013 2ss blue
My dad told me when I was your age that as long as I live under his roof no sports cars or motor cycles. It was the first two things I bought when I moved out. I'm 39 now and I sold the bike but still have the 1989 firebird formula.
bluels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #36
MarouG6327

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluels3 View Post
My dad told me when I was your age that as long as I live under his roof no sports cars or motor cycles. It was the first two things I bought when I moved out. I'm 39 now and I sold the bike but still have the 1989 firebird formula.
funny you say that. My dad owned a firebird in highschool and he says the car was horrible in the winter and believes the Camaro would be just as bad.
MarouG6327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #37
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluels3 View Post

Thats what you might call Incentive to move out.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #38
lynxone

Drives: 2012 2ss 45th anniversary edition
If your choices on a car at 17 are between an Audi and a Camaro, consider yourself one lucky young man. I love my camaro but I'd have to agree with your Dad that the Audi would be more practical especially for winter driving. That being said, ultimately it's your money so it's your decision. As some have said, you can get by in the camaro but to say its just as safe to drive on snow as an awd Audi is a silly argument. I've owned both and my camaro doesn't touch any road with snow and ice on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #39
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Some people have the fanboy blinders on and seem to forget the realities of owning a car at 17. I doubt many of you told your old man to shove it while living under his roof and being supported. How many of you sported your own insurance policy at 17? I rode on my parents policy at that age with a 4cyl camry and good grade discounts and still shelled 110 a month on liability.

A Camaro is not in the least a practical car for a budding teen about to take on the world. Yeah it's a hot car and we all had those dreams in school but be realistic - I doubt the OP is going to spring for a Camaro and an SUV to ensure transportation year-round. I hate to be a buzzkill, but as a father now myself, there's no freaking way my kids would own a Camaro as their only ride in Colorado, nor would I carry that risk of my kids starting in a high HP RWD. I won't be shuttling them every time it rains or snows and they have to get to work or practice or whatever. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think is ideal for a teen. OP may have the cash to buy a Camaro but buying and supporting one (against dad's wishes) is very different. To each their own, but IMO this is a bad move. No one said get the audi either though. LOTS of options at $15K that will make dad happy, keep teen safe, and keep operational costs low.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #40
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
OP - you have your whole life ahead of you to get situated, gain some years of wisdom, and buy that dream car. Weigh the pros and cons thoroughly. Awesome cars will still be around in a few years, I promise.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 PM   #41
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Being a father of 2 I understand where your father is coming from. I drive in light snow with all season tires. No problem but I have driven rear wheel drive cars in mid west winters for 35 years.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #42
bluels3

Drives: 2013 2ss blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarouG6327 View Post
funny you say that. My dad owned a firebird in highschool and he says the car was horrible in the winter and believes the Camaro would be just as bad.
He is right those cars sucked in the snow but with traction control and stabil-track they have on these new cars it not even close to the same thing.
bluels3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, audi, camaro, help me, winter