Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
MarouG6327

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS with RS package
Rough estimate on Ac belt replacement & installation?

Ac belt was making noise and I took it in and they moved it back on and they said if it starts acting up again they would need to replace. Any idea on the cost for replacement with installation? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Minimal time to change so shouldn't be too much. Just need the little tool that comes with the belt otherwise it's a bitch to get on.

When you say "moved it back on". That's not good and your belt is probably damaged already. I would get a new one, but then it's not something that's too critical as all it drives is A/C and it's winter now.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
15 minutes in your driveway with the right tools.

$500 and 2 days @ a dealer..
Old 12-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

$500 and 2 days @ a dealer..
wait you forgot about the touch up paint thats a extra week and 3 trips back.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarouG6327 View Post
Ac belt was making noise and I took it in and they moved it back on and they said if it starts acting up again they would need to replace. Any idea on the cost for replacement with installation? Thanks!
That belt is like $40 bucks tops , just remove the intake tube install in the right order. I replace mine every 20,000 miles because mine sees track and is not electric assist. Replacing them at short intervals keeps them feeling sharp in the steering response dept. Maybe your tensioner is weak. Get the JRE supertensioner.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
That belt is like $40 bucks tops , just remove the intake tube install in the right order. I replace mine every 20,000 miles because mine sees track and is not electric assist. Replacing them at short intervals keeps them feeling sharp in the steering response dept. Maybe your tensioner is weak. Get the JRE supertensioner.
^^^^That is not the A/C belt you're describing.

This is the A/C Belt
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  86.4 KB
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Minimal time to change so shouldn't be too much. Just need the little tool that comes with the belt otherwise it's a bitch to get on.

When you say "moved it back on". That's not good and your belt is probably damaged already. I would get a new one, but then it's not something that's too critical as all it drives is A/C and it's winter now.
For me it is more critacal having A/C in the winter time than the summer time. You can always roll down the windows in the summer time when it gets hot. In the winter time windows get fogged up, you turn on your front windshield defrost. Your A/C automaticaly comes on. All of the dampness, humidity inside your car makes it very dangerous to drive, not being able to look out. A/C comes on so the evaporator captures this moisture. Clears the windows in no time, making your drive safer.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote