Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #71
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
The S04s just feel like a rear flat tire compared to the Trofenos. The Trofenos are so stiff and fun to drive. The Bridgs are no fun like Trofenos.
This is why I'm trying the Yokohamas. I need something more streetable than the Trofeo, but want it to have more performance than the S-04. Yes, I realize the PSS is the reference tire, but I have had a couple of folks advise me that the Yoko may work better on the Z/28. With this car you quickly feel it when the tire is not up to the level of the car...
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #72
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
rain might change one's opinion on "fun" though
Trofeo Rs in the rain are whole different world of fun -- of the merry go-round variety...
Old 07-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #73
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
The surface of those tires looks like they were melted then cooled off.
Which set of photos? I posted some and backintops posted another set. I think what you're seeing is the clag that David Hobbs likes to talk about. You leave the track with hot tires and, on your way off the track, through the pits, and into the paddock, the tires pick up any little bits of rolled rubber left on the surface...
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #74
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
rain might change one's opinion on "fun" though
I would never dive the Z28 in the rain. I have not washed my ZL1 the whole time I have had it 1 year 8 months and it never been in rain at all. It has not rained much at all here in San Diego. The tires make a BIG difference on the Z28. Now the ZL1 feels stiffer side walls than the Z28. It's like some one let air out of the back tires switching to the Bridg.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #75
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Tires - the BIGGEST compromise on a car.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
I would never dive the Z28 in the rain. I have not washed my ZL1 the whole time I have had it 1 year 8 months and it never been in rain at all. It has not rained much at all here in San Diego. The tires make a BIG difference on the Z28. Now the ZL1 feels stiffer side walls than the Z28. It's like some one let air out of the back tires switching to the Bridg.
Tires make a HUGE difference on any car. You got what you paid for. Not a bad compromise for the street, but there are better choices if cost is no object.

Michelin PSSs, Yokohama AD08Rs, Bridgestone RE-11s. All slightly better performers, at a higher price. Bridgestone S-04s are better for the street than Pirelli Trofeos. Smoother ride, quieter, less tramlining; MUCH better tread life, MUCH lower cost; but less cornering grip, of course. That's what you are feeling.

The whole suspension was optimized for the Pirellis, change tires and there will be some downside... S-04s still seem like reasonable choice for the street.

Oh, and check rear tire pressure; maybe somebody DID let the air out.

Best Regards,
John

Last edited by lostwon; 07-16-2014 at 12:54 AM.
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #76
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
I will be installing a set of Yokohama AD08-R tires onto my street wheels, probably by the end of the week. I'll report back here, but am hoping these work better on the street than the Trofeos, while offering a sportier feel than the S-04s. The Yokos are known for having great grip, so I think they are worth a shot...
I just installed a set of Yokohama AD08-Rs on my OEM wheels. I've only driven them for a few (mostly freeway) miles so far and they're not broken in yet, but at first glance they seem to be a good middle-ground between Trofeos and the S-04 on the street.

1. There is NO tramlining on irregular surfaces, and I drove over quite a variety of not-smooth pavement during my ride home from the shop. In this regard it's as good as the S-04 for street use and very well-behaved.

2. They feel very responsive on the street, and are far better in this regard than the S-04. However, this was a 20-mile drive, and I didn't have a chance to push the tires at all. No high-speed cornering was attempted.

3. They are firmer -- with a slightly harsher ride -- and noisier than the S-04. However, they're nowhere near as harsh and noisy as the Trofeo.

I will report back after trying them under more aggressive cornering conditions, as I think the stickier/more aggressive nature of this tire, compared to the PSS, may make it the ideal street/high performance tire for the Z/28...

Last edited by brt3; 07-16-2014 at 03:51 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #77
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwon View Post
Tires make a HUGE difference on any car. You got what you paid for. Not a bad compromise for the street, but there are better choices if cost is no object.

Michelin PSSs, Yokohama AD08Rs, Bridgestone RE-11s. All slightly better performers, at a higher price. Bridgestone S-04s are better for the street than Pirelli Trofeos. Smoother ride, quieter, less tramlining; MUCH better tread life, MUCH lower cost; but less cornering grip, of course. That's what you are feeling.

The whole suspension was optimized for the Pirellis, change tires and there will be some downside... S-04s still seem like reasonable choice for the street.

Oh, and check rear tire pressure; maybe somebody DID let the air out.

Best Regards,
John
34 lbs front and rear.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #78
brt3
Runs with scissors...

One more point. When I left this morning for the tire shop, I was driving on the Trofeo Rs. About 10 minutes before leaving, I noticed it had started sprinkling. By the time I pulled out of the garage it was a major Texas deluge, complete with areal flood warnings. We live at the bottom of a canyon and the ride out was quite interesting. Let's just say I was extremely careful, with the Trofeos frequently hydroplaning at one (or more) corner(s) of the car; until I got on the main highway I was well under the speed limit.

I know a couple of people in California who use Trofeo Rs on their daily drivers (one actually owns a tire store), but I can't imagine doing that in the parts of the country that get actual rainstorms all year long...

Last edited by brt3; 07-19-2014 at 05:28 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #79
Zenthusiast

Drives: '14 Z/28
Has anyone considered or run a set of Hoosier R6's on track with the Z/28? If so, what were the outcomes? TIA.
Zenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #80
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quick update on the Yokohama AD08-Rs I'm running on my OEM wheels. I did a 500-mile trip last week, on the backroads between Austin and Dallas. The Yokos are great street tires; though not as comfy as the Bridgestone S-04 they are VERY tolerable on the street. On the comfort scale, they are way closer to the S-04 than the Trofeo R. They are noisier and stiffer/harsher (than the S-04), but this is not objectionable. They completely eliminate the tram-lining and nervous behavior with pavement irregularities that you get with the Trofeo R. I have yet to try them in the wet. Also, I still haven't had the chance to truly flog them, so I can't yet report on how well they perform at the limits...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #81
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
hi brt...

why did you get these when you already had the bridgestones? I love the bridgestones and have run them hard in wet, dry, offroad, dirt, mud, grass...great street tire...I went camping with my z last weekend and it fit my tent and cooler in the trunk!!!...try that viper! Never run them on a track but will autox with them soon. Just wondering???

The way I look at it...if I need the difference in performance between the bridgestones and trofeos ON THE STREET there is something wrong...never needed that extra yet and I drive very fast when I'm alone.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #82
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
hi brt...
why did you get these when you already had the bridgestones?
I really wanted to try them, and... [ahem] I have two Z/28s. The Bridgestones are on the CA/28 and the Yokos on the TX/28. So far I don't see much downside to the Yokos, so I'll be interested to see what they do when pushed. I am hoping they might be capable of handling a little AutoX and cool/damp track duty...

Quote:
I love the bridgestones and have run them hard in wet, dry, offroad, dirt, mud, grass...great street tire...I went camping with my z last weekend and it fit my tent and cooler in the trunk!!!...try that viper!
Wow -- kudos for using your car well and often! I'm guessing the Z/28 is one of the faster RVs out there...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #83
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Oops...I must have missed that...that's great...what color?

Considering what gt3s cost its a steal at 75 ...smart move. I had to scratch hard just to get one.

As for tires..I'm going Hoosiers after the trofeos.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #84
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Oops...I must have missed that...that's great...what color?

Considering what gt3s cost its a steal at 75 ...smart move. I had to scratch hard just to get one.

As for tires..I'm going Hoosiers after the trofeos.
#1 Silver, #2 White. I'm sure we'll hear back from you about the Hoosiers; can't wait to hear how that works out...