Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
needmorehp

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS nasty orange
Post 10' camaro diff crapped out after driven for 40 miles after fix from shop

I wanted to ask a general knowledge question about a repair which was done by GM (Chevrolet) certified service shop here in Texas. The vehicle has 115000 miles and the rear driver side axle seal on the differential was leaking, I maintain the leak over the weekend by adding gear oil until I can get it to the shop. The tech of the shop mention some rear axle noise to his service director when he just told me but anyhow; was charge to have both seal replaced and top off with gear oil which they state the noise improved ( these are the words of the director). So I paid my dues and was on my way, on my way about 47 miles of driving I started to hear a knocking/rumble while taking a curve then a loud grind from my rear, and the vehicle came to a screeching stop in the middle of the road. I got out and noticed the rear of my vehicle was cover in gear oil splatter like before from the last seal leak, when I got under the car and took the best video I could which showed both replaced seals were leaking. Now the service shop whom replaced the seals and did the labor is stating I had a preexisting problem which cause the axle gears to be stripped to blow both seals (lol). My question is have you every hear such a thing where this is plausible???? Don't know if anyone with differential knowledge could help but I've ran out of online information about this, and my only thoughts are that the seals were probably replace poorly, incorrectly or technician error resulting in a greater leak cause the differential/ axle gears to become a bigger out of pocket expense. Helpppp
needmorehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
If the bearings in the differential are/were shot, even the new seals wouldn't help since the axle shaft would have enough play to allow oil out or to tear up the new seals again.

It seems they should of caught something like that though when remove and replacing the axle shafts after the new seals got installed.

I'd be surprised if a dealer couldn't properly install axle shaft seals, it's not exactly complicated, but i'm sure it wouldn't have been the first time it happened either. I'm not really sure what recourse you have though being out of warranty.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote