Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I've run the mild to wild for 8,000 miles with no CEL
That's because it doesn't cause one...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #30
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That's because it doesn't cause one...
Haha - very true!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Don't understand the need for putting a toggle switch under the seat? Already has a wireless remote.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
I have had a home made switch for months now. I run it closed more than open. I have never had any codes or issues with it so far. I do know that the car does not like going to to high rpm with the exhaust closed. and still no codes. my set up directly controls the valve. I think the wtom uses th fuse panel at the rear. could be an issue there?
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Don't understand the need for putting a toggle switch under the seat? Already has a wireless remote.
He didn't say anywhere that he had M2W (so no remote). Just a hard wired switch.

I took my remote and learned it to the Homelink buttons and use those. Entire setup off of Amazon was 20 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
I have had a home made switch for months now. I run it closed more than open. I have never had any codes or issues with it so far. I do know that the car does not like going to to high rpm with the exhaust closed. and still no codes. my set up directly controls the valve. I think the wtom uses th fuse panel at the rear. could be an issue there?
...and you will continue to have no problems.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #34
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
The switch is brand new. As I said I don't think it'll give problems if left off for a long time. I would be curious if some of you tried turning it off and on over the course of 50-100 miles (like 20 miles with it on, 30 miles withit over, repeat) if you would throw a code AND very important you still have the stock ZL1 exhaust system.

And not that I hold the dealership as the almighty but they specifically noted on my paperwork that back pressure can effect the O2 sensors. I'm just going to leave it off and run loud always. I like it that way. Not sure why anyone would buy a car like this and not want it loud. Go by a BMW or a lexus if you want quiet and zippy, seriously.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #35
evonschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I ran my own toggle switch with wires similar to another DIY on here I saw. Didn't need to spend $20 on something I have for free laying my garage.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #36
evonschu

Well regardless I have all you guys saying no way this could occur and the dealership saying the opposite. I'm going to run it in the off position for a while (wild). No codes, then I'm considering it problem solved. If I do get a code I'm going to reset it, put the fuse back in so its stock and run it until the code comes back, which most likely it will since it sounds like something else might be wrong here. Then I'll bring it in to the dealership and be like wtf, its not my toggle switch. The original post on here the guy was having the same issues after putting this in so... just some food for thought.

Is it possible that since this vehicle is a rarity that there are some variations in tune from the factory and hence why some people might throw a code and others are not?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #37
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
The switch is brand new. As I said I don't think it'll give problems if left off for a long time. I would be curious if some of you tried turning it off and on over the course of 50-100 miles (like 20 miles with it on, 30 miles withit over, repeat) if you would throw a code AND very important you still have the stock ZL1 exhaust system.

And not that I hold the dealership as the almighty but they specifically noted on my paperwork that back pressure can effect the O2 sensors. I'm just going to leave it off and run loud always. I like it that way. Not sure why anyone would buy a car like this and not want it loud. Go by a BMW or a lexus if you want quiet and zippy, seriously.
I switch mine on and off during a 20 mile drive daily.....love to play with folks, but never any codes!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
we are not trying to beat you up, just think about this.....the exhaust flappers have a fuse (electrical motor) and if that fuse blows, does it throw any codes? No. because it doesn't throw a code, you would not really know if you blew the fuse unless you know the exhaust tone....well some folks are oblivious to this fact (blown fuse) and will run this way until wheels fall off.......because of this the car electronics (O2s before flapper) will not cause codes....Vettes have had this type of exhaust for years....

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
no issues here had the M2W going for couple k miles.. and open/close it all the time.
and before that had 4k miles with the fuse pulled.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #40
evonschu

Wanted to let you all know that I still will throw O2 sensor codes if I flip the switch on and off while driving. If I leave it off or on all the time I have no CELs. I know its related to this though (despite my own logic and everyone's 2 cents on here). I think the odds are pretty slim that minutes after I flip the switch of it being off back to on that the CEL comes on for the O2 sensors. Maybe its cuz I'm using a regular toggle switch rather than the mild to wild kits you all bought.

Weird thing is that fuel trims are not effected in the slightest by this. I have a scan gauge II hooked up and monitor all the sensors regularly. Its almost like the O2 sensor itself is so sensitive it picks up the change in flow suddenly and thinks theres something a miss
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #41
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Wanted to let you all know that I still will throw O2 sensor codes if I flip the switch on and off while driving. If I leave it off or on all the time I have no CELs. I know its related to this though (despite my own logic and everyone's 2 cents on here). I think the odds are pretty slim that minutes after I flip the switch of it being off back to on that the CEL comes on for the O2 sensors. Maybe its cuz I'm using a regular toggle switch rather than the mild to wild kits you all bought.

Weird thing is that fuel trims are not effected in the slightest by this. I have a scan gauge II hooked up and monitor all the sensors regularly. Its almost like the O2 sensor itself is so sensitive it picks up the change in flow suddenly and thinks theres something a miss
I agree with you and the dealership, it is the cause of throwing a code. That being said; its not a big deal, you know the cause and like you said the 02 sensor is super sensitive. It's never happened to mine, although I must admit I think I've actually used the remote maybe twice while in motion. I coulda saved $90 w/just pulling the fuse since I always leave it open. I'm taking mine out as soon as I receive/install my Noweeds!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #42
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I've never had any code issues. After all M2W is FCC approved and endorsed by Jay Leno. Enough said..... Lol. Seriously though. GM engineers helped in the development of the product and it was approved by my dealer to install. I could have bought it from them if I wanted. But I chose to do it myself.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote