Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
New Supercharger install

Hi guys, new to the supercharger world. I have a few questions. I just ordered a 2.9 whipple supercharger from JRE and will be installing this myself. I am shooting for between 550 to 600 RWHP. This is on a six speed M6 convertible. I wont be doing any racing this is just for cruising. I have CAI intake and 2" ARH headers with cats and a JRE tune. Should I drill out the cats, or leave them as is? I heard that with the supercharger, they like to blow out. Also, do you think it's necessary to have a boost gauge and an air fuel gauge? I already did suspension upgrades. Also, do you have any tips that you would like to give me to help with my install? Thank you, Todd B
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
EncoreCamaros

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro SS/RS LS3
Congrats on the whipple! Best thing to do is to gut the cats completely because of the heat that the blower produces the cats will melt. With a professional tune youll reach 550rwhp with no problem with good fuel. If you have the car dyno tuned properly you wont really need a boost gauge because it will remain constant. Ted jannetty tuned my car and trust me when i say, i wouldnt have anyone else do it! I would definately get a A/F wideband gauge to keep an eye on the ratio, thats important. I did my own whipple install also and it took me and a buddy about 12 hrs. Just take your time and read the install packet cover to cover before touching the car. Take your time and enjoy!!
ARH 1 7/8 headers catless 3'' long system, Whipple sc 4.00 pulley 9 lbs boost, msd boost-a-pump, CAI intake, Pfadt coilovers, toe links, trailing arms, solid cradle bushings, sway bars, Forgestar CF5 19x9.5/19x11, M/T et street II radials
EncoreCamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
ToddB

Hey thanks for the reply. I will get a A/F gauge then. Just wish they made a gauge pod for the convertible. My wife if going to help with my install it should be fun.lol
Old 08-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
EncoreCamaros

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro SS/RS LS3
why wouldnt the coupe gauge pod work?
ARH 1 7/8 headers catless 3'' long system, Whipple sc 4.00 pulley 9 lbs boost, msd boost-a-pump, CAI intake, Pfadt coilovers, toe links, trailing arms, solid cradle bushings, sway bars, Forgestar CF5 19x9.5/19x11, M/T et street II radials
EncoreCamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
ToddB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreCamaros View Post
why wouldnt the coupe gauge pod work?
The piller is different on the convertible. It says not made for a convertible.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
bikerdan
BLOWNSS

Drives: 2011 SUPERCHARGED Camero SS
SLP make a single gage pod that goes on steering wheel stem.
2011 LS3 SS/RS, M6, Maggie TVS2300 - cog drive, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, Autometer gages, BEHE Performance tune , boost and AFR gages, MGW shifter, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, Flowmaster Pro ex., Pfadt trailing arms, toe rods & bushings, G-Force axles, American Racing wheels, 305 mm P zero on rear, Elite catch can, SLP hood, amp & sub.
bikerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
ToddB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdan View Post
SLP make a single gage pod that goes on steering wheel stem.
Cool i will check it out. Thanks for all the info so far. I am learning alot on these forums.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
ADM makes a panel that fits below and between the tach and speedo. It flush fits and replaces the factory plastic filler. Check it out. You can have both, a boost gauge and fuel/air. Just be sure to install the AF control unit inside the car, not under hood, as it is not weather resistant.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Check out the ADM gauges, they have a AFR and boost gauge that fits right above the steering wheel and looks factory!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
ToddB

Hey thanks guys i will check them out. 10aSSee d how long have you had your whipple and how do you like it? I have ARH 2" headers and CAI intact but no cam what do you think my car will do with 9 psi of boost. Your car lays down some good numbers.