Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
AllNaturall

Drives: 1987 IROC
Question FbodFather!!!!!!!!

So I just read the thread stating the last Corvette was made today and they are keeping it in the museum. Made me curious. I should be stoned for thinking this, but my general curiosity got the best of me.

What if GM had gone under via not receiving the bail out and what have you. What would happen to the ungodly awesome collection of cars they have in the museum?
AllNaturall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
They would probably stay in the museum. One of two things would have happened without GM. They all stay put, bought by someone that bought the whole lot. Or they would have been auctioned separately and scattered.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
GM would have just declared bankruptcy and reorganized without the extra cash. It would have been more painful but GM would not have disappeared. That is just what politicians want us to think so they can take credit for something.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
trailerrick

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
GM would have just declared bankruptcy and reorganized without the extra cash. It would have been more painful but GM would not have disappeared. That is just what politicians want us to think so they can take credit for something.
CORRECT

Company's file for bankruptcy every day, and most will be stronger in the long run because they learn from there mistakes.
All GM learned is that the Gov. will be there to bail them out because they "are to big to fail"....

trailerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
GM actually sold some vehicles from their museum during the doom and gloom days. Not everything, obviously, but something you don't normally see everyday.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
yup they would of gone nowhere. the numbers that obummer hit every one with on all the jobs that would be "lost" every manufacturing, parts makers, and supplier job would of had to been eliminated both oem and aftermarket.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partlow View Post
For example they want to make a standard MPG rate in the US industry by a certain year(2014/2015? i believe).
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards have been in place for years. They occasionally increase the target number, but they've been regulating MPG in the US for a long time (since 1975). Heard of the gas guzzler tax? It's been around since 1978.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partlow View Post
Funny fact about MPG... I work with a guy that went to Germany a few years ago, while in Germany he rented a volkswagon passat. Driving in the CITY he was getting 70+mpg. He thought that was incredible and wrote every single option on the passat down, & planned on buying the same one when he came back to the states.

When he arrived at a VW dealer he told them everything on the list, the sales associate said they could do it all but the engine. He said that the US won't allow that engine to be used in the states because it's "Carbon Footprint".

The way the states measure Carbon Footprint is clever. It measures it in a sense that a car getting 70mpg puts out more carbon than a car getting 20mpg BECAUSE it's measuring the carbon output via distance traveled per gallon.

Basically the 70mpg car goes 70 miles on one gallon, therefore it's spreading more carbon on that gallon because it's traveling 70 miles. With the car getting 20mpg it's getting 20 miles on one gallon, therefore it's spreading "less" carbon per gallon because it's only traveling 20 miles.

interesting heh?
The car your friend drove in Europe was probably a turbodiesel. They've become more popular because of their mileage, but in the US, emissions controls were prohibitively expensive because our diesel had high sulfur content before 2006. Now in the last few years they've become increasingly available since the availability of ultra-low sulfur content diesel.

I'm not sure if what you're saying about carbon footprint calculations is what the dealer told your friend or if it's coming from you, but it's complete garbage. The CO2/mile calculation factors in more than just the distance, it also calculates the amount of fuel burned (and therefore CO2 produced) over that distance, so a car that gets 70 MPG will have a dramatically lower CO2/mile rating than one getting 20 MPG. Ever read Motor Trend? They (and probably other car magazines) have started adding CO2/mile calculations to every car they test. Trust me, the ones that get better MPG have lower CO2/mile (aka, "carbon footprint").

OP--sorry for the threadjack...back to your regularly scheduled museum discussion!
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
GM does not own the Corvette museum.

Most of the cars on display are on loan.
It depends on what museum the OP is talking about. If you're talking about the Heritage Center Museum in Sterling Heights, MI, that's GM owned and operated by GM contractors.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Not to jack the thread, but I've never been to any of the GM museums. But growing up as a kid, every year we took a school field trip to Greenfield Village and Henry Ford museum. Those are good memories that will stay with me forever.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Gunslinger09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Yep.

Most of the bailout was a sop to the UAW. Bankruptcy would have voided the union contracts and GM would have been able to negotiate a much lower wage and benefits package after the BK. Lee Iacocca did it with Chrysler back in the early 80s and the UAW could see it happening again and pulled some strings with the people in the Whitehouse.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
LionMaro

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not to jack the thread, but I've never been to any of the GM museums. But growing up as a kid, every year we took a school field trip to Greenfield Village and Henry Ford museum. Those are good memories that will stay with me forever.

Oh the good ole elementary school days...loved that yearly field trip haha. Good call, man, good call ha.
LionMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Why is this thread for FBodfather?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger09 View Post
Yep.

Most of the bailout was a sop to the UAW. Bankruptcy would have voided the union contracts and GM would have been able to negotiate a much lower wage and benefits package after the BK. Lee Iacocca did it with Chrysler back in the early 80s and the UAW could see it happening again and pulled some strings with the people in the Whitehouse.
Agree, it had more to do with that than anything else IMO.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNaturall View Post
So I just read the thread stating the last Corvette was made today and they are keeping it in the museum. Made me curious. I should be stoned for thinking this, but my general curiosity got the best of me.

What if GM had gone under via not receiving the bail out and what have you. What would happen to the ungodly awesome collection of cars they have in the museum?
My guess is Rick Hendrick would have bought them all. He buys all of the other ones.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote