Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
L99 questions

Are the stock mufflers efficient ? I'm not after sound but efficiency. Do any catback systems really add any hp or torque ?
Does a cold air intake add any hp or is it mostly for effects ?
I'm considering an L99, think I will find the power adequate ?
Thanks.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Adding an exhaust won't increase your horsepower, just change the sound - and if you haven't tuned you'll need that or the range device to avoid the sound of the afm in the aftermarket exhaust. If you want efficiency get a cold air intake
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Mufflers muffle...the camaros is wayyyyyy overkill in the muffling dept.....cat back..will sound like its making more horses...cai...will be...somewhat....lets the engine breath better...it's usually the first addition to a stock camaro....and worth the cost
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Lt's and a tune is where the power is especially for L99's. the mufflers are HEAVY so an axle back of cat back will loose lots of pounds making the car more efficient in that dept. stay away from the range stuff just do it the right way and disable AFM in your tune.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i run stock mufflers with a CAI.the stock mufflers are good but they are heavy.the CAI will give you a few more HP.as far as performance,it runs good for what it is,a stock L99.as they say,speed costs money,how fast do you want to go.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Here is the straight and narrow on the L99. 1st it has plenty of power for the average owner and moves when you get into it. Sadly, all 5th gens sound weak from the factory. The L99 suffers even more due to the giant resonators in front of the mufflers for one more added layer of BLEH. The paddle shifters are somewhat awkward in turns and a bit laggy overall. The car has a bit of factory lag built in right from the go.

You can however correct the exhaust tone and loudness factor but, will be faced with a choice of either listening to the horrible tones of AFM noise or getting rid of the AFM.

You can use a range device or better yet, banish that crap to hell forever where it belongs with a tune or LS3 conversion.

If you get a tune then you may as well throw all your chips in the pot and add some LT headers and get the tranny tuned as well.

This will correct your lack of muscle tone exhaust and give you a nice shot of additional power you will feel and give you a 12 second car.

If you care about your warranty than disregard all of this. Skip any significant performance mods and make some extra car payments.

If you don't want a tune then stick to a CAI, maybe a ported Tb and a muffler delete. I'd advise not to delete mufflers without doing something about AFM though.

If you do nothing. You are still getting a very low 13 second car for a nice price.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Here is the straight and narrow on the L99. 1st it has plenty of power for the average owner and moves when you get into it. Sadly, all 5th gens sound weak from the factory. The L99 suffers even more due to the giant resonators in front of the mufflers for one more added layer of BLEH. The paddle shifters are somewhat awkward in turns and a bit laggy overall. The car has a bit of factory lag built in right from the go.

You can however correct the exhaust tone and loudness factor but, will be faced with a choice of either listening to the horrible tones of AFM noise or getting rid of the AFM.

You can use a range device or better yet, banish that crap to hell forever where it belongs with a tune or LS3 conversion.

If you get a tune then you may as well throw all your chips in the pot and add some LT headers and get the tranny tuned as well.

This will correct your lack of muscle tone exhaust and give you a nice shot of additional power you will feel.

If you care about your warranty than disregard all of this. Skip any significant performance mods and make some extra car payments.

If you don't want a tune then stick to a CAI, maybe a ported Tb and a muffler delete. I'd advise not to delete mufflers without doing something about AFM though.

If you do nothing. You are still getting a very low 13 second car for a nice price.
Excellent explanation. The range device or tune is the way to go once u start adding performance mods. Now once u consider which way to go i have yet to see any major issues with the Range device with the exception of the christmas lights. Problem that the personnel at Range are in the works of resolving. And not to mention they have a variety of different version of the device. Now with a tune u wont ever have to worry about AFM but you can kiss your warranty goodbye right off the bat. Just some insight for you to consider and help you on your descision.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
my CAI made a nice difference in sound and performance and the Range V8 helped big time no more afm and it will not void any warranties which is nice, but im doing headers and a tune soon so good bye warranty lol so my range v8 will be for sale soon i paid 200 ill see it for 150. im getting the cat-back soon but its only for sound. the intake, the range v8, and fuse pull should be the first things done to a new L99. the fuse pull is free which is good, just look it up in the search bar for which fuses to pull out over night and to put back in i forgot which ones.
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote