Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Cruise accross country from VA to NM. Any interesting stops along 40?

On July 29th we leave Fredericksburg Va on our way to Albequerque NM for a two week vacation. We will be on the south side of town. We are taking 81s to 40w and reverse on the way back. It will be casual on the way out and a direct shot on the way back.

Does anyone know of any good stops along the way? We will have plenty of time to sight see.

We are taking the Camaro on this trip.

I will get my fill of drive time. November is rapidly approaching, and if the winter is anything like this past winter, it will be parked 95% from November til April.
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Damn thats a helluva hump.... be safe and I with I could help you with the stopping points there.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Hope the cops are better to you out there than they are here in Va...lol. Drive safe!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
edog

Mark, cops are good to me everywhere. My wife will be with me. I am kept in check by her more than any cop.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
thesnoopster

So she is like your cruise control monitor LOL !!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
edog

Yea, that's about right. "No fun driving allowed" is a good tshirt logo for her. LOL

You ought to see how she gets when I puch it. I swear I could heat a water kettle on her.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
spawny

Drives: Black 2SS/RS L99
I don't know about 40 the whole way, but From Dallas to the Virginia line.. I believe I took 30 to 40 it was 70mph the whole way anyhow... so averaging 75mph or so I made the 1300+ mile trip with gas stops and a 2 hour "tried like hell to sleep in a nasty Lebanon Tennessee motel" stop. From Dallas to Loudoun County in 22 hours.
spawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
edog

It should take us around 26 to 28 hours. 13 hours a day, and a couple hours if needed the third day. Start the day at 5am, and end at 6pm. My foot might be a little heavier than 75, so who knows how much time I could make up. Time goes backwards at times also. hopefully that will factor in for a good night sleep.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Edog,

Good opportunity to scope out the lay of the land as it appears Camaro5 II will be in the Midwest/West. Hopefully we can count on you to be the Lead Dog on the next Festival Adventure. Should be quite a ride. Enjoy your vacation.

Larry
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
I have been to that area many times. Santa fe has more to do IMO. If you head due south there is a large wildlife reserve. If you add another day or two travel, durango Colorado is cool with a nice train to silverton. The views are amazing. Teluride is awesome, ski lift is free and breathe taking.

But Santa fe is awesome. Good food, shopping, sights, architecture.

Wanna risk never coming home? Go to Sedona, AZ. Now that is a piece of heaven!

Have fun!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Amarillo Tx, Big Texan on Route 66. 4.5lb steak dinner, eat it all in an hour and its free.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
thesnoopster

Hell Ernie, I am seriously thinking about a cruise in the SS to New Orleans to see my family probably late August. Im seriously thinking about it ....lemme know how it is on that LONG journey (with no AFM ).
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
spawny

Drives: Black 2SS/RS L99
Forgot to mention Cadillac Ranch. I believe it's just west of Amarillo along I-40. Google it for more info. It's a dozen or so cadillacs buried nose-first in the ground.
spawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
edog

:5thgenvert:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWM View Post
Edog,

Good opportunity to scope out the lay of the land as it appears Camaro5 II will be in the Midwest/West. Hopefully we can count on you to be the Lead Dog on the next Festival Adventure. Should be quite a ride. Enjoy your vacation.

Larry
I was thinking the same thing Larry. If and when they announce the C5FII I will definitely be going. I might not make California, but the mid west, I will be there. As on this last one...I welcome anyone who would like to cruise with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafsanjani View Post
I have been to that area many times. Santa fe has more to do IMO. If you head due south there is a large wildlife reserve. If you add another day or two travel, durango Colorado is cool with a nice train to silverton. The views are amazing. Teluride is awesome, ski lift is free and breathe taking.

But Santa fe is awesome. Good food, shopping, sights, architecture.

Wanna risk never coming home? Go to Sedona, AZ. Now that is a piece of heaven!

Have fun!
I have not made it to Sedona. I went to santaFe three years ago. I agree with you. It was beautiful. We will spend more time there this time. I think we are going to white sands, Hatch, and I know we will go to Carlsbad. Maybe El Paso as well. The odometer will be spinning like a slot machine. :5thgenvert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
Amarillo Tx, Big Texan on Route 66. 4.5lb steak dinner, eat it all in an hour and its free.
We are stopping here on the second night. We will get a hotel and hit this steak house. I am sure I will not be trying the 4.5lb steak, but I hope someone does. I will be looking for the hottest chile pepper they have to go along with my meal and beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnoopster View Post
Hell Ernie, I am seriously thinking about a cruise in the SS to New Orleans to see my family probably late August. Im seriously thinking about it ....lemme know how it is on that LONG journey (with no AFM ).
As you know, the Camaro is comfortable. I bet that would be a great drive, and when you get there, I bet the area would be awesome. The photo ops you could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawny View Post
Forgot to mention Cadillac Ranch. I believe it's just west of Amarillo along I-40. Google it for more info. It's a dozen or so cadillacs buried nose-first in the ground.
I saw that on rt66 travel info. You know we will be going off the beaten path to drive on it. Thats how we found the steak house. If you think of anything else let me know. These are all great ideas.