Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
ZL1 Weight?

Does anyone know the official curb weight of ZL1? No guesses please, official numbers only.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
No official numbers yet. I've been searching for that info since the Chicago autoshow and can't find anything but guesses
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Since they're not finished with it, I don't think you will see any official numbers
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Why so serious? Got something up your sleeve?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
2200lbs...trust me. I know a bird who flew through the factory once

But no official numbers yet, doubt we'll see that for a while. We know GM is going to boost the hp numbers as well. I think the specs will all come at once.
575hp at 3980 is my guesstimate
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Why so serious? Got something up your sleeve?
Just got a ride in the new CTS-V and I tell you it's weight really plays against it. 550 HP against CTS-V weight didn't make that car quick. If the ZL1 is going to be in the same weight range it won't be quick car off start. For $50K I can get a low miles Z06 with a lot less weight. I don't want to wait a year to find out how heavy this car is going to be.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Just got a ride in the new CTS-V and I tell you it's weight really plays against it. 550 HP against CTS-V weight didn't make that car quick. If the ZL1 is going to be in the same weight range it won't be quick car off start. For $50K I can get a low miles Z06 with a lot less weight. I don't want to wait a year to find out how heavy this car is going to be.
heck, if u drive a jet, of course no car is going to be fast enough

Z06 is quick but unless it is a new orfairly new one, I don't think I can deal with the rattles and thunks on the pre-owned ones.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post

Last time I checked, the CTS-V ran low 12's from the factory. I don't know what your definition of "quick" is, but I guess you can't satisfy anyone nowadays.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Last time I checked, the CTS-V ran low 12's from the factory. I don't know what your definition of "quick" is, but I guess you can't satisfy anyone nowadays.
pfft, low 12's, what a grandma car.

Last time I checked, this was kind of quick...

I mean, it's okay... :emoticon7:
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
What's up, Z,

Great thread. I'm really interested in the weight of the ZL1 as well.

When I owned the SS, I could feel the weight. Being that the ZL1 will share the same chasis, it's easy to think that without GM making a concerted effort to keep weight down, the ZL1 may also creep up close to 4000 lbs.

The Mercedes C63 crowd is really taking advantage of weight reduction modifications, from spare tire removal and rear head rests, lighter rotors and batteries, to C/F hoods, trunks, bumpers and even roofs.

And the cars really respond well to lower curb weight.

I would want the ZL1 to weight in the 3700's lbs. That's not a guess.

May I ask what you would like the ZL1 to weigh?

Btw, I'm off the computer till manana, so if you respond I'll see it then.

Have a great night.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
What's up, Z,

When I owned the SS, I could feel the weight. Being that the ZL1 will share the same chasis, it's easy to think that without GM making a concerted effort to keep weight down, the ZL1 may also creep up close to 4000 lbs.

The Mercedes C63 crowd is really taking advantage of weight reduction modifications, from spare tire removal and rear head rests, lighter rotors and batteries, to C/F hoods, trunks, bumpers and even roofs.

Have a great night.
Hey Sonny, how you doing man? Hope you're well!
What do you mean by "When I owned my SS"? Did you sell your Camaro?

To answer your question, I really don't know and I'm not qualified to propose what the weight should be. All I know, today I took a ride and drove a friend's new CTS-V with two adults in the car (me and him) and you can feel the car was not peppy. I used to own a Z06 that was first N/A and then S/C it was light on it's feet. Another friend before buying his Aston Martin, looked at the ZR1 and each one got a ride by the dealer and it was [very] quick. He just hated the interior.
This is the same problem that the SRT8 has, too heavy.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
What's up, Z,

Have a great night.
Adding a supercharger and intercooler, then beefing up the suspension and drivetrain is going to add a fair bit of weight, probably 200 lbs in total. To get the car down to 3700 or so, they'd need to take out ~350 lbs elsewhere ... absolutely positively unequivocally not gunna happen. Look at the Corvette. In going from the base coupe to the Z06 they managed to net only 33 lbs in savings. That includes going from a steel frame to aluminum, splashing some carbon fibre around, even going with balsa wood in the floor. Those measures saved something like 150 lbs but most of that got added right back on when other things were upgraded. Unless its gutted, removing any and all creature comforts there is simply no chance for pulling that much weight out of it. About the best that we can hope for is that the ZL1 stays under 4000 lbs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Why don't they yank the two back passenger seats, and replace them
with some light wieght cross brackets. It's like any normal size adult
couldn't fit back there anyway's, and have a safety net behind it for the
trunk area. Perhaps a light weight trunk hood would help
as well, just my two cents worth on reducing wieght.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Blackdevil77

So how much weight would you say would be saved if they used fiber glass or carbon fiber body panels, magnesium engine cradle, the balsa wood floor, in addition to the weight savings they have already made to the wheels, hood etc. Enough to get it around the SS weight