Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
marksono
teresa 's camaro

Drives: 20102ss/04gmcsprchrd.02camaro
aftermarket cai will void your warranty!!ask any dealer.and i dont think there is a federal law that overrides any thing,if there is please post it with a government website for all to see.our dealer as well as others we have called said anything other than a GM part,except a filter and cat back exhaust will void your warranty!!
marksono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
SikMaro

Drives: 2004 CTS, Arrived! 2ss/rs ABM!
alright, my mistake, thank you
SikMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksono View Post
aftermarket cai will void your warranty!!ask any dealer.and i dont think there is a federal law that overrides any thing,if there is please post it with a government website for all to see.our dealer as well as others we have called said anything other than a GM part,except a filter and cat back exhaust will void your warranty!!
Hello marksono,

Again here is the link for you.

If you would like any other details, you are welcome to give me a call and I will be happy to explain the federal law to you.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...#Magnuson-Moss

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Ordered mine already. Can't wait until it gets here. Long time coming, but they say will be worth the wait.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
bad2000z

Drives: 2015 Audi S6
This is good news for you guys! I have an Airaid setup on my C6 and I love it!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
bloomfu
My new security system

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS -Jewel Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello SikMaro,

The Dyno sheet is from our 2010 6.2L L99 that we tested on our in house Mustang Dyno.

Keep in mind, these are rear wheel numbers, not fly wheel numbers.

Thanks,
David
Dave,

What kind of numbers would you expect on the V6 ?

Thank you
bloomfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks awesome, but I'm still not sure which one to get, I am still leaning towards the hennessey.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomfu View Post
Dave,

What kind of numbers would you expect on the V6 ?

Thank you
Hello bloomfu,

Here is a post with all the 3.6L Information

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=airaid

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Hello marksono,

Again here is the link for you.

If you would like any other details, you are welcome to give me a call and I will be happy to explain the federal law to you.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...#Magnuson-Moss

Thanks,
David
Although you are right. If the dealer says nope your warranty is voided, then what are you going to do? You have to pay a lawyer. It's all on you to prove that what happened was not due to the aftermarket part. It's gonna cost you some bucks to take them to court.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Looks awesome, but I'm still not sure which one to get, I am still leaning towards the hennessey.
if you chose the hennessey over that youre a crazy guy...nuff said
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Quote:
Hello bloomfu,

Here is a post with all the 3.6L Information

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=airaid

Thanks,
David
david are the dynos done with the hood open or closed?
Thanks
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #26
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Although you are right. If the dealer says nope your warranty is voided, then what are you going to do? You have to pay a lawyer. It's all on you to prove that what happened was not due to the aftermarket part. It's gonna cost you some bucks to take them to court.
Keep your stock CAI, put it on for warrenty work, is that too hard?????
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
marksono
teresa 's camaro

Drives: 20102ss/04gmcsprchrd.02camaro
hi david @airaid i looked at the site on your post,all it really talks about is warrantys on any product you buy,but nothing about overiding a factory warranty,if it does please tell my dealer and tell them this,and if they agree,i will buy one from airaid!!thanks alot
marksono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksono View Post
Dealers allege that oiled filters foul Mass Air Flow sensors. Ask them to prove it. Ask them if they can test a MAF? They can't, their service info tells them to install the MAF on a like car and see if it works. They are told this by people who don't want to replace MAF's or don't know how to fix the real underlying problems. I know lots of dealerships who sell and install Airaid kits. One Chevy dealer I was at last week has 10 of these Camaro kits on order.

Here is a re-post of a response I did regarding oiled filters. Check out the K&N link for the independent testing they had done. 256 "fouled" MAF's tested. Check out the results.

Sorry for the rant, but mis-information just pisses me off.

"First. All cotton gauze filters are not the same. Sounds simple but the term "K&N" is like "Kleenex", and gets applied to the category. There are cheaper versions and more modern versions (the basic K&N filter dates back to the early 70"s). Very cheap & offshore versions are easy to identify. Hold them up to a light. If you can see pinpoints of light then dirt will get thru those holes. Any filter is a compromise of Flow vs Filtration. A normally aspirated engine (air pump effect) has a set demand it needs. Lets say 300 cfm. If a filter has a higher airflow rating of 350 cfm, than you are giving up filtration. The motor will pull no more than 300 cfm. If a filter allows less than the 300 cfm, then it would be considered "restrictive" but probably "filters' better. OE's want to make power, long life (100,000 warranty) and keep noise down. They spend lots of engineering money to get an acceptable (in their eyes) balance.

"Wet vs Dry"
The dirt released from the filter comes from cleaning the oil off, which the dust clings to. It's the "release agent". A dry filter is put in a bucket and agitated. You will get the surface dirt out but not the deep dirt. So each washing leaves the filter less efficient that it was new. Think vacuum cleaner filters. It will never be 100% efficient again, a oiled gauze filter is. Again it's Flow vs Filtration. Dry filters have come into vogue due to the great "Oil on Mass AF sensor" debate. Foam filters are synthetic not natural fiber. Oil will not penetrate the foam, it sticks to it. Foam filter manf use a thicker sticky oil to cling, but it WILL shed off. Did we use foam for years on powersports and trucks? Yes, when they were carburated and the motor wasn't affected by ingesting a little oil.

MAF Fouling.
Oiled Mass Air sensors is pretty much an urban myth. Check out the K&N website for the actual scientific testing they had done.
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm
A lot of dealers make a big deal about this because they've been scared into it by the warranty techs. Keep this in mind. A GM dealership has NO way to test a mass air flow sensor. The book tells them to put the MAF on a same year vehicle to see if it's bad. !!
Can it happen? Sure. From over oiling. If a cheap offshore filter has oil on the inside of the bag wrapping the filter than it's over oiled. Don't use it. The biggest culprit is the owner reoiling the filter after cleaning. Ever read the instructions before doing it? You oil a small area and let it wick thru the filter for 30 min. You DO NOT try to get the cotton all red in 30 seconds
Several manufacturers now list the amount of oil they put on their filters from the factory. It's done by a computerized sprayer. The amount averages 0.6 oz. Very little.

Current manufacturers of filter (vs re-packers) spent a lot of time and engineering to get the correct configuration to achieve the best Flow vs Filtration AND correct MAF air signal. Number of pleats per inch, pleat depth, all play apart in "straightening the air" as well as filtration. This is an area that very few kit builders (vs filter manf) spend any time. It's usually what fits in the space. IMO it's very important to know who's filter a kit has in it. Did they cut corners there?

Regarding the post about diesel filters. Different animal. A turbo diesel requires 10 times the air as a gas motor. Yet some OE's use the same air box as the gas trucks due to cost and room constraints. The issue of replacement filters collapsing in air boxes is due to using old gas filter manufaturing materials. The turbo diesel was a new animal. Some manufacturers now cover the filter in expanded metal screens (chicken wire I call it) to give it rigidity. This can result in a 30% drop in flow. Doesn't make sense. Some manufactures have switched from the aluminum wire that hold the gauze together to stainless steel and put reinforcing bars in the side urethane panels. This is the difference between "good enough & doing it right."

There are lots of hype, myths and legends out there on the errornet. Also some facts. Do your research from multiple sources."

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote