Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Questions on Adams Fine Machine Polish

On the Adams Fine Machine Polish, if using it with a Porter Cable after a few passes - the panel looks perfect under a bright shop light, is it pretty much then ready for wax? Or is there much filling properties to the FMP, and I should make sure all the scratches and swirls are really gone?

Reason I ask - I had some minor scratches/swirls in a spot on the front fascia. Dark Blue, so every little thing shows. Before trying the Porter Cable, I tried the Swirl and Haze Remover by hand with the matching orange hand hex pad. It really seemed to scratch and haze up that area. Even sounded like it was grinding in. So I had a small section that was pretty scratched and hazed. Then I took the PC and the Fine Machine Polish, and it all looks fine now after a few passes.

Did that FMP used with the PC really take out all the scratches and haze from trying the Swirl and Haze Remover by hand? Or is a lot of it just filled in and I need to do another step with the PC before going to FMP.

I'm hesitant to use the Swirl and Haze with the PC now, as by hand it really scuffed up the panel. Is it better to use that just with the PC?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
After a pass of SHR a panel will look somewhat dull... it requires the pass of FMP to complete the job. There are some oils left behind on the surface after a polishing, but nothing thats going to mask major imperfections. If you want to be totally sure then a wipe down with IPA and a microfiber towel will do the job.

Think of polishes the same way you do sandpaper, just on a much smaller scale. If you're going to sand something you start with a large grit and work your way towards a finer grit to finish... polishing is the same way... SHR will remove more substantial defects, but leaves behind artifacts, the FMP then cleans up whats left behind by the SHR.

Sounds like the products are working EXACTLY as they're designed to... SHR isn't a stand alone product.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Ok thanks. Looks to be good, just wiped it with rubbing alcohol and it is still perfectly shiny with no swirls. So looks like the FMP really worked great.

Maybe it's just the name of the SHR that had me concerned, called a swirl remover I thought that would be really mild/fine by hand. But it seemed to act more like a fine/medium cut compound. But the FMP perfected it with the PC, so looks like all is good. I probably should have just started with the FMP for some very minor blemishes.

Thanks again!
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I probably should have just started with the FMP for some very minor blemishes.
Bingo! Always start with the least aggressive method to get the job done, unless you're certain you need something more aggressive.

Glad it all worked out! Have a great weekend.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Dylan nailed it as usual. I always recommend an IPA wipe just to be sure, but it's not strictly necessary.