Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
WHAT IS A Z28?

Let's come to a conclusion of what a 2012 Z28 should be. Let the conversation begin...
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
def. a v8. it should be between the ss and zl1. maybe a small FI v8 like a SC 5.3L
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
and should have all upgraded suspension parts that the zL1 or pedders has!
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Hey Z28 Guru's (we know who you are) I put up this thread with the catchy title for those new to this section who have little to no idea what a Z28 was or should be. Please embrace it for that reason...to teach.

Thanks
A Fellow Z28 Lover
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
lots of horsepower is what I care about
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
small cubes with a killer cam and lots of horsepower.that's what a Z28 was.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Let's come to a conclusion of what a 2012 Z28 should be. Let the conversation begin...
Hmmmmm, I'll bite. The Z-28 was the face of the GM Camaro. Who didn't want one back then? If you were lucky enough to buy a Camaro and you had a choice at the time between a SS and a Z-28, well that was a foregone conclusion. F41 suspension, Corvette equivalent Spec HP engine, optional tranmission and rear axle ratios. Ala carte bad ass. If you love small blocks, this was your ride. Sure SS had big block options, but there was a special affinity one could obtain from racing a small block. I did. Affinity to power bands, RPM's, and road racing. What should a 2012 Z-28 be? Hmmmm, let's revisit the past. 302's and 350"s, both small blocks, ruled as King in the Z-28. The LS family is a modern small block, although the CID suggests otherwise to the uninitiated. Better for us. OK, it has to wind up and have a broad and wide power band and torque curve. Check. Rear axle ratio and transmission gearing is needed to meet a close ratio gearing to allow the driver to keep the car within the band under cornering and straight line acceleration. Enhanced FE4 suspension with Pedderized advanced Alien Technology <partnershiped with GM> to tune and tighten up the handeling characteristics and capabilitites. No PTM. Tire and rim de jour from your most favorite Lingenfelter, GM, or other cottage GM supplier to meet the traction and control issues of the car. A low dosage of emblems, monikors, or in one's face announcements. No leather or embroidery. No MRC....just shorthend, tuned coils with adjustable shock valving. 4,200 or 3800 GVW will not make any difference to me. It's a production car. Not a flat out track car. Pedders and Lingenfelter make a L-28 for that. Production cars need some size to handle all the real world street drivability issues. It's a better overall ride having some weight cushion with the varying roadways flucuations we will encounter. Rear special diffuser and front splitter, with ground FX package and rear spolier. Cold air induction. <I think I read 24" vertical above the ground is optimal for air intake?> OnStar yes. Bad ass sterieo Hell Yes!. Other than that, I'm good to go. A loudmouth 3" SLP type low restriction exhaust system, sans the dual mode. Can I order it now????
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Subscribed
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A great handling Camaro with enough power to hold its own in a straight line. Excess weight should be avoided, particularly for the engine.

One way I like to think about it is that if the ZL1 is the Camaro equivalent to the ZR1, then the Z28 should be the Z06 equivalent.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Fully factory body kitted w/ exhaust system.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
A muscle car that emphasizes handndling as much as power.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport
The Z28 should be a car that can blow the doors off a Mustang Boss 302 on the road course. Of course the Boss 302 also beat the GT500 on the road course as well, so I would imagine the Z28 should beat a ZL1 too, but the ZL1 get the win in the straight line quarter mile.
5% tint, AC red interior overhead LED, footwell, grill and engine bay lighting, license plate LEDs, reverse LEDs, painted black badges, bowtie, and tail light bezels, Heritage grill, T3 ports with LEDs, T3 splitter with cooler, carbon fiber vinyl hashmarks, TSW Nurburgring wheels, Nitto Invo tires, Hurst shifter, RX 1LE catch can, Rotofab intake, American Racing headers, Flowmaster exhaust, CMS camshaft, 3.91 rear end, BMR suspension, StopTech rotors, steel brake lines 456RWHP 422Tq on Mustang Dynamometer. Built, tuned by Cunningham Motorsports. SD Region SCCA
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Hmmmmm, I'll bite. The Z-28 was the face of the GM Camaro. Who didn't want one back then? If you were lucky enough to buy a Camaro and you had a choice at the time between a SS and a Z-28, well that was a foregone conclusion. F41 suspension, Corvette equivalent Spec HP engine, optional tranmission and rear axle ratios. Ala carte bad ass. If you love small blocks, this was your ride. Sure SS had big block options, but there was a special affinity one could obtain from racing a small block. I did. Affinity to power bands, RPM's, and road racing. What should a 2012 Z-28 be? Hmmmm, let's revisit the past. 302's and 350"s, both small blocks, ruled as King in the Z-28. The LS family is a modern small block, although the CID suggests otherwise to the uninitiated. Better for us. OK, it has to wind up and have a broad and wide power band and torque curve. Check. Rear axle ratio and transmission gearing is needed to meet a close ratio gearing to allow the driver to keep the car within the band under cornering and straight line acceleration. Enhanced FE4 suspension with Pedderized advanced Alien Technology <partnershiped with GM> to tune and tighten up the handeling characteristics and capabilitites. No PTM. Tire and rim de jour from your most favorite Lingenfelter, GM, or other cottage GM supplier to meet the traction and control issues of the car. A low dosage of emblems, monikors, or in one's face announcements. No leather or embroidery. No MRC....just shorthend, tuned coils with adjustable shock valving. 4,200 or 3800 GVW will not make any difference to me. It's a production car. Not a flat out track car. Pedders and Lingenfelter make a L-28 for that. Production cars need some size to handle all the real world street drivability issues. It's a better overall ride having some weight cushion with the varying roadways flucuations we will encounter. Rear special diffuser and front splitter, with ground FX package and rear spolier. Cold air induction. <I think I read 24" vertical above the ground is optimal for air intake?> OnStar yes. Bad ass sterieo Hell Yes!. Other than that, I'm good to go. A loudmouth 3" SLP type low restriction exhaust system, sans the dual mode. Can I order it now????
JUST tell me how many , colors and where to ship them .

PS . No time to send for XMAS
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
One hyphenated word:

LAP-DANCER
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28