Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #57
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
I was reading in the local newspaper that if GM takes over Chrysler that they are going to kill everything except the minivans, and the Jeep branch.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #58
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
I was reading in the local newspaper that if GM takes over Chrysler that they are going to kill everything except the minivans, and the Jeep branch.
Don't trust your newspaper unless the author of the article was the CEO of either company. Killing brands takes a lot of effort and money. Apparently, GM is still killing Oldsmobile, according to fbodfather.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #59
OKC08SkyR/L

Drives: 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I am more excited that GM in now offering an LS9 crate engine. How bout dropping that puppy into a Camaro SS?
OKC08SkyR/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #60
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Has anyone seen the pics of the mercades viper? Well it wasnt confirmed but they had a black viper out testing with a mercades front end, and about a month or two later, there was talks of Dodge selling the Viper. It was on Autoblog a while ago, i stored the pics but i just rebooted this computer on sunday, lost all my pics, even all the pics ive been collecting of the camaro since early 05
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #61
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Has anyone seen the pics of the mercades viper? Well it wasnt confirmed but they had a black viper out testing with a mercades front end, and about a month or two later, there was talks of Dodge selling the Viper. It was on Autoblog a while ago, i stored the pics but i just rebooted this computer on sunday, lost all my pics, even all the pics ive been collecting of the camaro since early 05
I thought they said that was a Merc disguised as a Viper?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #62
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
ZR1 Corvette from the muscle car era was probably the epitome of that, it was rated at 430hp it actually produced in the neighbourhood of 570hp. Now that's underated for insurance reasons. Of course it should have been obvious to anyone at the time as the non racing 427 cid put out 435hp.
Are you sure you dont mean ZL-1 Corvette? The ZR-1 corvettes from the early 1970's came with the 350, that being said im assuming u ment ZL-1 in which, you are very much right, both the ZL-1 Corvette and Camaro were both underrated Supercars of there time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm getting further off topic, but my understanding is technically, GM didn't underrate the ZL1 and possibly even the L88 - yeah, they made 430 and 435 horse' respectively, at like 4800 some-old RPMs, not at their actual peak RPMs; didn't these babies like to actualy be revvd' to somewhere around 7000?! Anyhoo, great insite and information.JMVHO
Well, they didn't state its actual potential hp numbers which, IMO, technically is underrating the car because they didnt state its actual figures. Just how i think of it but same with the z28 these babies being the small engines that they are, also redlined in the 7-8000 rpm rang boosting there hp rating of 280 much higher than that. Coupled with the dealer installed cross ram intake and dual 4 bbrl carb set up boosted the numbers past the 400 rang.
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #63
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
ok first off fellas... Chrysler is the company with money in the bank in Cerbeus... so technically they'd be buying GM, but to keep things simple there telling us the stories were hearing...
If the HEMI is such a bad design why did NASCAR try to ban it??? LOL... please... for real?? I think GM has just invested so much more money in the last couple decades that's why you guy's beleive this stuff.
If there isn't a mereger or what-ever this 3rd Gen HEMI has plenty of room for improvement, shoot Dodge just started letting codes come out to re-program the thing even mags like hot-rod had a hard time getting around the computers... DODGE KNOWS SOMETHING!!!
To the fella with the CHARGER, I've been leaning towards the R/T if I go with the Challenger just because that feeling about the "true hp" #'s and the 5.7 seems the easyier one to mod... I don't know still I am going to wait and see if I can find a used SRT though... But the SS Camaro is a good buy too... Thats why im hear... much love guy's and all respect..
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #64
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
ok first off fellas... Chrysler is the company with money in the bank in Cerbeus... so technically they'd be buying GM, but to keep things simple there telling us the stories were hearing...
If the HEMI is such a bad design why did NASCAR try to ban it??? LOL... please... for real?? I think GM has just invested so much more money in the last couple decades that's why you guy's beleive this stuff.
If there isn't a mereger or what-ever this 3rd Gen HEMI has plenty of room for improvement, shoot Dodge just started letting codes come out to re-program the thing even mags like hot-rod had a hard time getting around the computers... DODGE KNOWS SOMETHING!!!
To the fella with the CHARGER, I've been leaning towards the R/T if I go with the Challenger just because that feeling about the "true hp" #'s and the 5.7 seems the easyier one to mod... I don't know still I am going to wait and see if I can find a used SRT though... But the SS Camaro is a good buy too... Thats why im hear... much love guy's and all respect..
From my understanding, the reason why they band the HEMI from NASCAR was because of certain regulations and specifications the engines had to b under. And from my understanding is the HEMI design broke several of those specifications and there for had to be disqualified. Just info that I've gathered about that subject, and no hard feelings at all. Everyone has there different taste in cars. Personally, I love American Muscle in any form. Just love my GM cars alittle more.
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 AM   #65
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
That was Mercedes using a Viper as a base for development on their new car - been done a few times now.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #66
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
that car WILL NEVER make it to production

/thread
That's what they said about the Viper, too.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #67
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
That's what they said about the Viper, too.
yeah well that story ends with Chrysler trying to sell the Viper brand so it doesnt exactly bode well for the challenger if you want to make that comparison
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #68
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Having been a BIG Dodge fan for many years I was so anticipating and looking forward to the Challenger. When I saw it I thought WTF!! It was so dull, uninspiring and dissapointing. And seeing it in the flesh was no better. It was heartbreaking!!!

As soon as I saw the new Camaro, it was love at first sight. I was weak at the knees I tell ya, I KNEW she was my new baby!!!! LOL!!!

Sorry but the Challenger does nothing to get my pulse going. I dont know the stats but I bet you its a big flop. Only TRUE Dodge die hards will fall for this one!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #69
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Having been a BIG Dodge fan for many years I was so anticipating and looking forward to the Challenger. When I saw it I thought WTF!! It was so dull, uninspiring and dissapointing. And seeing it in the flesh was no better. It was heartbreaking!!!

As soon as I saw the new Camaro, it was love at first sight. I was weak at the knees I tell ya, I KNEW she was my new baby!!!! LOL!!!

Sorry but the Challenger does nothing to get my pulse going. I dont know the stats but I bet you its a big flop. Only TRUE Dodge die hards will fall for this one!
I was quite the opposite. I was in love with the Challenger styling. I was turned away when I saw the interior, weight, automatic, price.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #70
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post
I was quite the opposite. I was in love with the Challenger styling. I was turned away when I saw the interior, weight, automatic, price.
I think its just that I'm not an old school kindda guy. I love the Camaro cos it has a slight retro and it has a really mean futuristic look to it. The Challenger just looks like they too some plans off the shelf from 30 years back and starting building. Times have moved on, people want the best of both worlds ie not everyone is caught up in the nostalgia!