Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Dreaded money shift/over rev

New to the forum, already found a lot of information on this topic but I just want some extra opinions and possible positive reinforcement. I have a 2017 Camaro 1SS Manual.

The other day on the acceleration lane I was gunning it down in 2nd, shifted to 3rd and tried to shift it into 4th but went back into 2nd unfortunately. I looked down as to "wtf just happened" feeling in stomach. I saw the tach at or past redline I think its 7500rpm. From what I've read some people experience a loss of traction, I fortunately just felt a good amount of deceleration but did not break traction. I look down an see my speed at 84 mph'ish while the tach is still pretty much maxed out, I then depressed the clutch, this was all in a span of 2 seconds at most. I proceeded to shift up the gears with no problems or anything felt out of the ordinary. After I got to where I was (the store), I started my car and it fired right up w/ no hesitation, I then went back home taking the highway and heard a little ticking noise but didn't pay no real attention to it. Being that I didn't know what mechanical over-rev was at the time. I went home took a shower and about hour and half later started my car and noticed it idled fine but was experiencing more vibration than normal and then the dreaded check engine light came on along with stabilitrak being deactivated. I was hit with a cylinder 3 misfire. I took it to the mechanic and they confirmed the misfire was due to a broken lifter, they didn't really mention anything else broken like the springs, valves or pushrods being bent.

Like I said I drove it home after my trip to the store and felt pretty normal, I got on the gas and everything and it still felt pretty normal just more noise coming from under the hood and that vibration.

My question is should I be worried about the other 7 cylinders, push rods and valves possible being bent? From what he told me he said everything else seemed fine, just #3 having a broken lifter. I figure they'd do a compression/leak down test but I am not really too sure. Also, I want to believe everything but #3 is probably fine being that it fired up very easily and ran for the most part almost completely fine.

In the meantime, while it still sits in the shop waiting for repairs I bought a compression/leak down tester, and a borescope to inspect the cylinder/pistons/head because I'm pretty paranoid. I just want some peace of mind or advice, should I just take both heads to a machine shop and just install new hardware or should I just take the repaired car and drive it around for a while and see if anything turns up. I did some math based off of speeds in each gear and I estimate I was around 7500-8k rpm (hopefully), I wasn't at redline when I was 3rd since I tend to short shift as I'm still getting familiar with this car

Any information would be helpful.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
ChevyCav

Anyone any input
Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #3
Camarofan93

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
Had the same thing happen to me had to replace the coil packs
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
If 1 lifter failed due to the over rev I would replace the rest while I was at it. At that point the push rods can be checked. May even want to have the rockers checked. Those little needle bearing like to evacuate from their cage and get all over the internals. Not trying to scare you, just what I would do based on experience.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 AM   #5
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Gabhart is right, I'd inspect it well as it is being tore down anyway. Sorry to hear of your experience, it's learning, we all do it.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
First, I wish you the best as that experience would have ruined my day too.

My thoughts - since the heads have to come off to replaced the lifters - I'd go ahead and have the heads rebuilt with all new valve train hardware. Many may say that is overkill but for me I would need the peace of mind if this was a vehicle I intended to keep.

Good luck.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Don't the lt1's have a rev limiter set at 6500 rpm?
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
Not for a mechanical over rev. He accidently jammed it into second gear when at high rpms in third gear. Second gear once engaged locked the engine to the rear wheels which were travelling at a speed high enough to mechanically spin the engine well above its operational red line. That is why it is called a "money shift". It costs you lots of money to fix the damage if you make this mistake.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Dustinmaro

Drives: 99 ws6 trans am, 18 ss 1le, benz sl
Scary to me that one mishap can cause such a serious problem... these guys are right. Either check yourself or make sure they do. How can you trust just cylinder 3 has the only issue.
Dustinmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
If you are near redline and about to shift and you mess that up, the car is accelerating, the engine is screaming, all of that energy has to go somewhere, the rev-limiter will cut fuel, but it won't stop the thing from over-revving if you mechanically force it into a lower gear in this circumstance. You'd have to have some kind of complex engine brake to stop this, not just a fuel cutoff.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
First, I wish you the best as that experience would have ruined my day too.

My thoughts - since the heads have to come off to replaced the lifters - I'd go ahead and have the heads rebuilt with all new valve train hardware. Many may say that is overkill but for me I would need the peace of mind if this was a vehicle I intended to keep.

Good luck.
I figure since it's in the shop they would've of told me if there was any other damage. I'd assume this since if they have to remove the head in order to inspect the lifters they'd notice any other damage. I asked the guy if everything else was tight and claims nothing's else is damage. Idk I'm just paranoid because like someone else said why would only one cylinder be affected. The car didn't throw any other engine code to my knowledge. I think when I get it back I'm going to do a compression and leak down test for some peace of mind and go from there.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #12
ChevyCav

Also being that I drove it for about ~27 miles after the initial incident without any real issues are then the ticking and misfire in #3, could it be possible nothing else is damaged?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
Also being that I drove it for about ~27 miles after the initial incident without any real issues are then the ticking and misfire in #3, could it be possible nothing else is damaged?
Impossible to tell, although the longer you go without a problem, the more likely you are to be ok, since metal imperfections will create cracks that propagate with each cycle.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Impossible to tell, although the longer you go without a problem, the more likely you are to be ok, since metal imperfections will create cracks that propagate with each cycle.
True. Like I said started and for the most part ran fine. I just hope the mechanic picked up on anything else like broken springs or push rods or bent valves. Guess I'll find out when I pick it up...