Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Toyota, Where's the Warranty?

Where's the Warranty?
Toyota has no plans to extend coverage

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 02/20/07, 2:16 pm et

CHICAGO - Although Toyota has recalled more than 3.4 million vehicles since 2005, its top U.S. boss, Jim Press, says consumer confidence in the company remains strong.

Press, president of Toyota Motor North America, also said the company is not going to follow Ford Motor Co. and General Motors by strengthening new- or used-vehicle warranties.

"It's something you need as a solution to a problem," Press said this month during the Chicago Auto Show. "It's not something you do because other people do it. Our long-term durability has been real good."

But for a company that has built its reputation on high-quality, long-lasting vehicles, Toyota has had problems of late.

Toyota's latest recall, announced in late January, affects 533,000 light trucks that might have a faulty ball joint.

The recall comes on the heels of a class-action settlement, announced in early January, that covers hefty repair bills for Toyota owners whose engines filled with oil sludge.

Also, Toyota recalled 2.2 million vehicles in 2005 to fix various problems.

GM and Ford boosted their new-car powertrain warranties last fall. Ford's warranty increased from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles; GM boosted its powertrain coverage to 5 years/100,000 miles. And this month, GM said that starting March 5 it will extend powertrain coverage of used vehicles to 5 years/100,000 miles.

Press said no discussions have taken place at Toyota about beefing up warranty coverage.

He said: "We don't have reliability issues that go beyond our normal warranty."
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Jim Press seems a little arrogant to me!!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
Jim Press seems a little arrogant to me!!
not really when you have fan boys and naive people still buying toyotas over other makes because of a reputation that was built up a long time ago. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
You can save yourself a lot of money by buying used Ford Mustangs and Rangers and Chevy Aveo's and Cobalts. As a matter of fact you can save so much money as opposed to a comparable Honda or Toyota that you could probably replace the engine twice. We bought our two boys a Mustang and a Ford Ranger and our Daughter a Honda Civic (with my disaproval) and the Honda by far has needed the most work and is the least fun to drive.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Toyota doesn't have recalls. They have "warranty extensions". So they'll keep the same old warranties and when (not "if", definitely "when") the cars break they'll just extend those warranties. They should be concerned, because even import-lovers are beginning to question Toyota's reputation now. Honda is still deservedly the import golden boy. I have to admit, they stuck to what they do well, they resisted the temptation to sacrifice quality for quantity, and now they're reaping the rewards. We'll see if they keep up or go the way of Toyota, but I will say things have changed and quality/reliability is no longer a distinction between Japanese and American.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
not really when you have fan boys and naive people still buying toyotas over other makes because of a reputation that was built up a long time ago. . .
true that toyota is an overhyped company that is "cool" because people don't understand what real power and reliability is thats why for me its
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Dang...suprised I never saw this!

I'm glad Toyota doesn't extend their warranties. People see that and WANT a car that is backed up by a good plan. It says, "We'll guarantee your new GM car will last. And if something does happen, we'll be there to take care of the customer." I guess Toyota doesn't care about taking care fo the customer!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
We'll see if they keep up or go the way of Toyota, but I will say things have changed and quality/reliability is no longer a distinction between Japanese and American.
You're right. Sort of.

Technically, there is no distinction between them for quality/reliablity (in reality, that distinction was never as big as it was made to be either). The problem is the "public perception". As posted earlier in the thread, people still buy Toyotas because of the perceived quality/reliability. These are the same people who grew up with their parents telling them that "American cars are just thrown together cheaply (not inexpesively, cheaply), but Japanese cars are where the quality is."

Sorry, I've always called BS on this. When Japanese cars were far less expensive than their American counterparts, you could forgive a little quality hiccup here and there. But now, now that they are priced the same if not more than their American counterparts, the quality hiccups are a real concern. I've told people for a long time now, if you take care of your vehicle, (meaning, maintain it properly), I don't care if it's American, Japanese, German, or Swedish, it's going to last for a long time.

People should not take lightly, the issues that Toyota has had/is having with the Tundras. They are evidence of possible larger problems for Toyota.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Toyota's latest recall, announced in late January, affects 533,000 light trucks that might have a faulty ball joint.
My dad's 2002 Tundra lost a wheel while driving; it broke off at the faulty ball joint and ended up underneath the truck. Luckily it flopped down flat or else it could have rolled under and really damaged the truck or caused a bad accident.

There recently was a recall for certain years of Tacomas which were rotting and rusting unreasonably. They were buying back those trucks.

I covered the issue pretty well in another thread...
http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...9&postcount=14
http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...2&postcount=27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
I truly believe that how you treat your vehicle is more important that who makes it
Say it over and over again. In this day and age it is true. Now, the usual argument against that is to look at the statistics (generally people refer to surveys by Consumer Reports or JD Power). If you really look at the statistics and combine them with a little more information, they tell the whole story:
- Who buys Toyotas? People who buy into the reputation for longevity. What do those people do? Maintain their car perfectly so it will last long, and drive gently.
- Buick often makes the top of the list. Is the stuff in a Buick any different from the stuff in a Chevy or Pontiac? Mostly, no. Who drives a Buick? People who aren't in a hurry, take good care of their belongings, and drive gently.
- Pontiac probably ranks pretty low. Who drives Pontiac? Kids and excitement-seekers, neither of which are groups known for driving gently or good maintenance.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
But Toyotas are Invincible!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But Toyotas are Invincible!!!
umm... it hard to tell on the internet but... i hope to god you're being sarcastic because if your not you should be b!tch slapped lol j/m
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The day you hear me say that seriously, is the day Hell has officially frozen over.
And not just a magazine report, Satan has to pop up and announce it himself.

I flinch even when just say "Toyota", so I usually stick with "Company T".

(and the rest) forever!