Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Rear mount turbo with LT?

Not that I have plans on doing this anytime soon. I was just wondering if a rear mount turbo setup on an SS could be run with LT's
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
It could be, but you would be better off putting stock manifolds back on.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
It could be, but you would be better off putting stock manifolds back on.
What's the reason for wanting to run stock manifolds over headers? I understand the headers might not help as much, but would it really hurt?
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Heat loss. I thought (and researched) for a long time about doing a remote mount on my 1990 IROC. There are some good discussions on LS1Tech about headers versus long tubes and heat retention.

I'm still thinking about that remote mount. Maybe if I ever finish tinkering with my 2010 SS...
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancherj View Post
Heat loss. I thought (and researched) for a long time about doing a remote mount on my 1990 IROC. There are some good discussions on LS1Tech about headers versus long tubes and heat retention.

I'm still thinking about that remote mount. Maybe if I ever finish tinkering with my 2010 SS...
Since I dont know that much about the setup and how the heat plays a factor for my hypothetical setup. You want the extra heat to stay within the pipes and be fed to the turbo? The restriction of air flow with the stock manifold vs LT's is actually better for the setup?

Really wish I wouldve planned out my tinkering better in the beginning. I could've had a turbo for what all I've spent now and plan on spending when I go cammed.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
YEs, you want to keep heat/energy in the system. The little exhaust housing/turbine are a far greater restriction than the manifolds.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
or you do what we do and run headers and WRAP them with header wrap to keep all the heat in then you don't have the heat leaving and you get the HP from the headers also.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If you look on LS1tech, you will see some tests that guys have done. Wrapping the headers is a good start. I saw where one guy coated and wrapped. In the end, the consensus was shorty headers, coated and wrapped and a much smaller diameter exhaust pipe (wrapped) than you would imagine for cars pushing 4 digit hoprsepower.
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote