Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
drunKenobi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Krypton Green
Thinkware F770 dashcam installed

This week I installed the Thinkware F770 and have a few things that I'd like to pass on to anyone considering this dashcam. On my previous car I had the Blackvue DR650-2CH and sold it with the car (2013 SS 1LE). I figured I'd try a new dashcam with the new car.

Currently I have a 2017 SS 1LE with PDR. The PDR acts as a great dash cam and if all you are looking for is a forward view during driving. I wanted front/rear view and parking mode so I went with a dedicated dashcam.

First, the PDR takes up a bit of good real estate on the windshield. The Thinkware is not very big but attaching to the windshield anywhere around the PDR felt out of place or blocked too much forward visibility (imo). I ended up mounting it to the PDR directly which kept it centered and snugged up behind the rear view mirror. I couldn't use the mounting bracket that came with the dashcam because it's concave(convex?) to fit the shape of a windshield. It would not sit flush on the PDR so I ended up using a small piece of velcro which worked like a charm.

Second, the hardwire kit that comes with the F770 is too short to reach either fuse panel (trunk or engine bay). Most cars have fuses under the dash but the 6th Gen does not. I wrestled with several options - simply splicing in longer leads and using fuse taps would have worked but I went a different route. I added a longer wire to the constant PWR and ran it to the battery then used the mirror method for the ACC/GND.

Mirror Method

I bought the harness with the extra leads from Gen5DIY to make things easier.
Mirror Harness

Lastly, just a few thoughts on both the Thinkware and Blackvue.

I like that the Thinkware has a built in voltage cut-off and timer (configurable via phone App). I didn't have to add something like a Power Magic Pro to protect the battery. It also had more options on parking mode like time lapse and night vision and tells me how many events it recorded during parking mode after starting the car. The road safety warning system isn't on the Blackvue (lane departure, collision warning, speed cameras, etc) but I ended up turning that stuff off anyway.

One thing I miss from the Blackvue was being able to connect to the device without the hassle. You have to press a button on the Thinkware to connect via wireless and it stops recording when connected. The Blackvue I could sit in my living room and connect to browse recordings. Blackvue also has a cloud option that lets you connect from anywhere which is not on the Thinkware.

Overall I'm OK with the Thinkware F770 and will settle for it. I'm not going to recommend it over the Blackvue or vice versa - you can't go wrong with either. Both are nice systems if you are into this sort of thing.
drunKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
drunKenobi

Pics

Here are a few pictures of the install. I'll probably re-do the velcro so the camera is centered better. This will also leave room to put a radar detector now that I have the proper hookup already installed.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
drunKenobi

F770 vs PDR

Here is a comparison of the image quality between the Thinkware and PDR.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunKenob
Overall I'm OK with the Thinkware F770 and will settle for it. I'm not going to recommend it over the Blackvue or vice versa - you can't go wrong with either. Both are nice systems if you are into this sort of thing.
The Thinkware has better video quality vs the BlackVue. The bitrate is too low on the BlackVue and hence the lower quality. Also the Park mode is better on the Thinkware, it is actually one of the best on the market.

Be careful about the battery voltage setting though, the default setting will drain the battery too much, you need to bump up the cutoff voltage.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
FirstCam17

Drives: '17, 2SS, vert, V8, M6, NF Gray
Good install. How well does the velcro hold? I bought a BlackSys CH-100B 2 CH and have been having a time getting it mounted. I tried the adhesive strips that came with it and that lasted only 5 days. So, I 3D printed a mount I designed and it melted after a couple days! Guess I should have used ABS instead of PLA - lol.
Anyway, I'm still trying to find the best way to mount the front camera, then I have to figure out where to put the rear facing camera (it's a vert, so this is not going to be easy).

Has anyone else made a mount or purchased something else to hold a dash cam besides using the adhesive?
FirstCam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have the Thinkware x500 in all 3 of my cars. It is one of the best units on the market hands down. I mounted the one in the Camaro in the same place as you, on the PDR housing.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Thompyt

Drives: 16 2SS / 15 Mustang GT
Can you verify the Thinkware has a built in voltage cut-off and time. I'd rather hook straight to constant power and not have to install an additional power box. It was a real PITA when I put a BlackVue in my F15.
Thanks
Thompyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Interested in installing one of these. Might have helped when the a$$hole hit my car, ran, and then lied about it.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The Thinkware all have voltage cut off in them. You can adjust it from 11.7v to around the high 12v range.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
drunKenobi

Voltage cutoff and timer

Logging into the device via phone app you can adjust the settings. Here are the menu options I have set.
Attached Images