Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
11 LT/RS vs. 08-09 impala SS

Just hypothetical. What would be the outcome between these? My mods are in my sig, assuming impala is stock. Have seen a few around and just wondering how quick they really are. I'm sure they torque steer like a mother with the FWD V8.
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I was at the track last weekend and there was an impala that would run mid to low 16s. Highly doubt it was the ss though and not sure if it was stock or not
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
I was at the track last weekend and there was an impala that would run mid to low 16s. Highly doubt it was the ss though and not sure if it was stock or not
That doesn't sound like an Impala SS, they've been tested running low 14s. I had one before I traded for my Camaro (I've also driven a 2011 V6 Camaro). The Impala did feel faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
Just hypothetical. What would be the outcome between these? My mods are in my sig, assuming impala is stock. Have seen a few around and just wondering how quick they really are. I'm sure they torque steer like a mother with the FWD V8.
From what I can gather, the gear ratios are very close (unless yours is a manual). Curb weight is a wash (16 lb difference). The real advantage an Impala would have is torque and two fewer gears. Stock for stock, I'd say it's really a drivers race. With your mods, though.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
evilstevie

Drives: 2022 RBM 2SS 1le
That'd be a good race. They've got around 45 lb/ft more torque, and weigh around 150 lbs less. But they've got wrong wheel drive, and an old 4 speed tranny. I think they were good for just under 6 second 0-60, and low 14's in the 1/4.

There's a few videos on youtube of Grand Prix GXP's (same car) vs v6 Camaro's....all look to be pretty close races.

Edit: I was using 3600 lbs for the Impala, and 3900 lbs for the Camaro. I guess the v6's Camaros are closer to 3800 lbs?
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstevie View Post

Edit: I was using 3600 lbs for the Impala, and 3900 lbs for the Camaro. I guess the v6's Camaros are closer to 3800 lbs?
I think 3750 is the going number.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
tavo431

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
At a local meet, my friends impala ss (stock) would destroy stock and some moded camaro v6's all day from a roll. I'm not sure about the 1/4...
tavo431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstevie View Post
That'd be a good race. They've got around 45 lb/ft more torque, and weigh around 150 lbs less. But they've got wrong wheel drive, and an old 4 speed tranny. I think they were good for just under 6 second 0-60, and low 14's in the 1/4.
I would think with the ported IM/25mm spacer/CAI combo, the peak torque would be roughly the same or a little more than the 5.3 L Impala. The increase in power, or more importantly peak torque (30+ rwtq) comes in on the dyno at roughly the same RPM as torque peaks stock. It should be a close race, but I would think the OP would have the lead early and keep it there, gradually pulling away. Especially from a dead stop.
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I had a mildly modded 05 Imp SS for a few years. That factory supercharged 3.8L FWD car was pretty damn quick and went 13.7 in the 1/4. I almost traded it in for and 08 Imp SS before the new gen Camaro's came out. I had one mess with me on the highway a few months back (straight'ish stretch with no other cars in sight) when we were already both doing about 75 and it was a little harder to shake him than I would have thought. They're faster than you may think but I don't know if one will beat a Camaro V6 or not in the 1/4.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote