Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
BoomBoomKid

Drives: Gen 1 Gen 3 soon Gen 5
Beware going to CAI

Took the car to dealer and learned why the cel was on. Three codes were flagged, low mass air flow readings and lean fuel air. Do not put any oil on your cai filter, I have one that uses a K&N filter, these filters have oil in the cloth, over time the oil bleeds onto the mass air flow. This can cause the mass air flow to fail. The cai also passes much more air to th engine (the good ones) causing the lean condition. Either symptom will cause mass air flow low readings. After 3 hrs and some heated discussions the dealer gave me the repair statement indicating cannot fix not under warranty. They even would not clear the cel which I asked to be done. No charge and I went my way.

Called ST Motorsports and given a tip if oil is on the mass air flow, get some electrical spray cleaner take it out and spray.
BoomBoomKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Volant makes some filters that are dry, I also think AEM makes dry filters
Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
heres a link to amsoil air filters just pick the right size, its what i have and works great.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomKid View Post
Took the car to dealer and learned why the cel was on. Three codes were flagged, low mass air flow readings and lean fuel air. Do not put any oil on your cai filter, I have one that uses a K&N filter, these filters have oil in the cloth, over time the oil bleeds onto the mass air flow. This can cause the mass air flow to fail. The cai also passes much more air to th engine (the good ones) causing the lean condition. Either symptom will cause mass air flow low readings. After 3 hrs and some heated discussions the dealer gave me the repair statement indicating cannot fix not under warranty. They even would not clear the cel which I asked to be done. No charge and I went my way.

Called ST Motorsports and given a tip if oil is on the mass air flow, get some electrical spray cleaner take it out and spray.
The issue is not so much the oil on the maf..... But the fact the maf housings is larger therefore slowing airflow down over the sensor which in return will result in low output frequency from the maf.. Tuning will take care of this issue
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
6DEAN9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Injen has a dryless filter as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DEAN9 View Post
Injen has a dryless filter as well.
That's the opposite of what he wants.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
INJEN has no oil filters
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
BoomBoomKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
The issue is not so much the oil on the maf..... But the fact the maf housings is larger therefore slowing airflow down over the sensor which in return will result in low output frequency from the maf.. Tuning will take care of this issue
Thanks for the info this is good to know.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
BoomBoomKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
heres a link to amsoil air filters just pick the right size, its what i have and works great.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx
Thanks, I'll switch, like the blue color.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
MIKES RS
MIKES RS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS CGM
Does anyone know if I will have any problems like this with a CAI unit? I just ordered mine
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES RS View Post
Does anyone know if I will have any problems like this with a CAI unit? I just ordered mine
I put the CAI brand on and no problems ever...

To the OP, you might want to check to make sure you don't have a "weak" MAF.

Pull it out and check the code on it. If it is a single letter & numver like K8 then it is a weak unit. You want one like K19 or the like (one letter, two numbers)...

Apex has them for $89 IIRC and they are verified as the strong ones...
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I put the CAI brand on and no problems ever...

To the OP, you might want to check to make sure you don't have a "weak" MAF.

Pull it out and check the code on it. If it is a single letter & numver like K8 then it is a weak unit. You want one like K19 or the like (one letter, two numbers)...

Apex has them for $89 IIRC and they are verified as the strong ones...
I doubt it's a weak maf..... Never even heard of the term weak maf. There were cars that supposedly had a not so good maf in them but I have tuned them with no issues.... If the CAI company maintains oem diameter of the maf housing then you'll likely be fine, but alot of them do not , believe me I tune these cars for a living.. Even on your intake on your personally car, I am willing to bet your fuel trims are skewed, and likely positive fuel trims
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
brianko
Never enough time

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomKid View Post
Took the car to dealer and learned why the cel was on. Three codes were flagged, low mass air flow readings and lean fuel air. Do not put any oil on your cai filter,
If you have an oiled filter, you should be cleaning your MAF every 6 months. As you indicate, the oil from the filter will end up coating the small platinum wires that are used to detect airflow (they heat up, and the air passing over them changes their resistance). Coated wires lead to reduced airflow measurements, causing the ECM to cut fuel.

The problem here is that the effects are usually gradual, and you won't even notice them until they bite you (as you have been). Usually the first indication of an oil-fouled MAF is a reduction in gas mileage and/or stumbling when accelerating from idle. When vehicles come into my shop for tuning, the first thing I check for is an oiled filter, and if there is one, off comes the MAF to be cleaned.

Use a quality contact cleaner that leaves no residue and is safe for plastic. I personally use QD Contact Cleaner when I need to clean a MAF. Whatever you do, don't use gasoline, Varsol, paint thinner, or anything else! You'll only make the problem worse.
brianko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
I doubt it's a weak maf..... Never even heard of the term weak maf. There were cars that supposedly had a not so good maf in them but I have tuned them with no issues.... If the CAI company maintains oem diameter of the maf housing then you'll likely be fine, but alot of them do not , believe me I tune these cars for a living.. Even on your intake on your personally car, I am willing to bet your fuel trims are skewed, and likely positive fuel trims
Weak maf's are a known issue and can cause problems. If you have one, I would for sure get rid of it. They all have a single letter on the maf rather than a letter and a number. Letter and number equals strong maf. GM is aware of this, but it does not affect stock intakes.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote