Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #169
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Everyone countiues to bark about us not knowing where profits are now that sales are tanking. I don't remember anybody worrying about where profits were when the Camaro was the sales leader in fhe segment. It is possible to sell loads of a product and not make a profit too. Everyone on here claims that is what is happening to the Mustang. I also wonder how so many seem know what Ford's profits are on the Mustang. What theses companies are doing as a whole vs what one model is doing can be vastly different.
Well, one thing is that GM quarterly reports look pretty solid and they don't seem to be worried too much, whereas Ford looks like to sell as many cars as they did they have been giving a lot of incentives and cutting into their profit. So from the financials of the two companies it seems like GM is taking a different approach and it is currently paying off.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #170
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Anybody who has no clue that it has all that power, which would be 99% of the people I know, most people would just look at it and laugh and say "it's just a focus". They are not traditionally fast cars.
Fast maybe, ugly definitely
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #171
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsatisfied View Post
Fast maybe, ugly definitely
Agreed

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #172
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I was specifically replying to you regarding the notion that every company wants to sell more, and I think i've proven that is not always the case. It's 100% about profits, whether that means sell more for less per transaction, or sell less for more per transaction...IT'S ABOUT THE PROFITS.

I agree the sales are low as compared to previous years and vs. its traditional direct competitors, but i really don't care, I'm not sure why I should care - I mean are we going to start a rumble with the Mustangs and we just don't have the numbers to win.

I'm much more concerned about the Caprice sales.

GM is setting the standard. I think this will be the future of sales. The lower the sales, the higher the profit!
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #173
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
It's also a double edged sword because to get all the bells and whistles you read about in the car mags...it pretty much requires a loaded 2SS.

Or you could get a loaded 2LT and be touching 40,000.

The 1SS is a perfectly viable option, but with an auto you're right at 40,000 also.

I really do not think dealers are making a killing on these cars, but I think GM corporate has a very fat profit on them.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #174
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
GM is setting the standard. I think this will be the future of sales. The lower the sales, the higher the profit!
Ford is probably making an outstanding profit on their GT

Life after retirement
Old 08-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #175
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
It is very conceivable that GM is not looking to compare the Camaro directly to the Mustang or Challenger anymore and is therefore not concerned with selling as many of those units.

First of all historically the Mustang has always sold more, secondly the Camaro is probably more profitable per unit than the Mustang is. I see this car selling around 60k units a year, and I think that's probably just fine for GM, if they can sell more cars through word of mouth and good press, then that's great. If they don't then I'm fairly certain 60k of these cars at the higher ATP for the 6th Gen car will lead to plenty of profit out of the program.
I don't know why because those looking at Camaros will also probably be looking at Mustang or Challenger at some point, and according to the stats some of those Camaro buyers have been buying Challengers now. They are the main competitors, why would they try and ignore that? The numbers don't lie.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #176
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Everyone countiues to bark about us not knowing where profits are now that sales are tanking. I don't remember anybody worrying about where profits were when the Camaro was the sales leader in fhe segment. It is possible to sell loads of a product and not make a profit too. Everyone on here claims that is what is happening to the Mustang. I also wonder how so many seem know what Ford's profits are on the Mustang. What theses companies are doing as a whole vs what one model is doing can be vastly different.
GM just posted historic profits. Ford announced incentives and fleet sales hurt the bottom line with rising defaults and lower residual values at auction.

Its a leap to connect all that to Camaro and Mustang but it does point there.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #177
MovieGuy

Quote:
On paper the dealer can state they are giving you a higher trade value to get you to accept the sale, but most times they are lowering the selling price of the new car to make up the difference. I go in and barter a cab price and get the lowest I can, then I tell them I have a trade in to be appraised. That way I will know exactly what I'm getting on trade and selling price
Nope! I know they do that crap so I got the price of the new one where I wanted it first. Then we talked trade. I got full trade in value on my mustang and almost 2 grand off the price of the Camaro. 2 grand is a good discount on an almost base car.

Life after retirement
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #178
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
So if the idea was to sell less than before and make more money per unit, why make as many (or more?) as before?

Seems like the cost of building what doesn't sell knocks the hell out of the profit from those units that do?
If that were the case then just make the Camaro an order only car. Why bother to stock all that inventory on dealer lots to just sit. Might be good for GM but the dealers have to be pissed.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #179
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Maybe one day you'll figure out that you can actually order the car EXACTLY the way you want it.
Yeh either that or just wait and buy off the lot for a much better price, that what I already figured out.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #180
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
All those incentatives and still in last place... I hope GM isn't on the verge of making the Camaro extinct again! Don't see the 1LE, ZL1, or Z/28 moving either if they can't move their core units.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #181
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Chevy still has no clue that the prices are too damn high and the dealers don't have a clue that they are ordering too many cars with unneeded options. I have been looking for 10 months for a base 1SS with a manual trans with nothing more than black rims. Don't want mag ride, dual mode exhaust, just want a base 1SS. Maybe they will figure it out before the 2018s come out.
Why don't you just order what you want? I don't think you will find exactly what you want.
You could have had it months ago.
I had to order what I wanted because no dealer orders exactly what I wanted.
Mine took me over 4 months to get, but that is the longest wait I seen.
97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #182
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
GM just posted historic profits. Ford announced incentives and fleet sales hurt the bottom line with rising defaults and lower residual values at auction.

Its a leap to connect all that to Camaro and Mustang but it does point there.
You would think so, but we just aren't sure. The large SUV segment and Truck market is a cash cow right now and for the most part always has been. Ford was a lot more vested in Europe and britex hurt them bad. Mustang profits may have nothing to do with it. Who knows for sure. From being in business myself, I know I would be nervous if my sales in a certain area dropped at the rates they have for the Camaro. If GM is doing this on purpose to make it a low volume niche car, then why offer it with a V6 and a 4 banger? It doesn't add up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote