Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
clay question

I detailed the whole car. Dust is building up already. I'll do a Optimum No Rinse and buff with soft MF towel.

Since i figure the Sealant I put on should be good for 3 months I am thinking about what happens over the next three months? Between Sealant applications (since if I take care of washing properly I shouldn't have to polish for a year or so, right?) is it ok to clay? Will claying remove the sealant coat making it last a shorter period?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Claying will remove everything you have on the paint. Always reapply sealant after claying. You don't need to clay unless the paint begins to feel rough. There are tons of variables, but I generally say that 2x a year is appropriate. Could definitely be more or less, but it's a good place to start.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
IPT,

when the car is clean, place your and inside a plastic baggie. Run that along the paint, gently, and if it's rough, you know you need to clay. If it's still smooth, no reason to clay, unless you visibly see overspray or something funky.

-
Mook
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote