Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
My HURST Install, V6 Specific

This afternoon I decided to install my HURST Shifter in my Camaro.
The install went according to the instructions and most of the videos I've seen.

A few V6 items to consider.

1) I think there is more space under the V6 with this transmission that the SS with the V8s. I did not have to lower the tranny brace/mount and I was able to do the whole install without dropping or moving anything out of the way.

2) NO SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on the CENTERING SPRINGS and how to get around these on the V6. This was a royal pain. I did NOT want to remove them because I like the centering action of these springs. Very much like the Big Rigs I used to drive.

3) Due to the lack of proper shift pattern knob from HURST, I used the stock knob with my install. This is also a good way to hide it from the wife too! LOL! HURST does include upper shafts that will work for either style.

Drive Test.

Incredible! Very short crisp shifts through the gates. Seems like almost too short. Drove a few hundred miles yesterday using the stock set up and in my short ride today found that the shifts are a little notchy but positive. Only 1300 miles on the car so the notchiness is to be expected. Later this month I plan on a tranny fluid change to a good synthetic oil and that should help.

There are other Shifters out there. The designs are similar so, if you are thinking about this MOD, look them all over and pick one. I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch. I wanted the HURST for the classic LOOK and right now I don't have that. I need to search for the right knob with the right pattern on it. But for now, this works fine for me.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Ex-stang

Drives: "Sergeant" a 1LT/SIM/RS/CONN/BA/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
This afternoon I decided to install my HURST Shifter in my Camaro.
The install went according to the instructions and most of the videos I've seen.

A few V6 items to consider.

1) I think there is more space under the V6 with this transmission that the SS with the V8s. I did not have to lower the tranny brace/mount and I was able to do the whole install without dropping or moving anything out of the way.

2) NO SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on the CENTERING SPRINGS and how to get around these on the V6. This was a royal pain. I did NOT want to remove them because I like the centering action of these springs. Very much like the Big Rigs I used to drive.

3) Due to the lack of proper shift pattern knob from HURST, I used the stock knob with my install. This is also a good way to hide it from the wife too! LOL! HURST does include upper shafts that will work for either style.

Drive Test.

Incredible! Very short crisp shifts through the gates. Seems like almost too short. Drove a few hundred miles yesterday using the stock set up and in my short ride today found that the shifts are a little notchy but positive. Only 1300 miles on the car so the notchiness is to be expected. Later this month I plan on a tranny fluid change to a good synthetic oil and that should help.

There are other Shifters out there. The designs are similar so, if you are thinking about this MOD, look them all over and pick one. I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch. I wanted the HURST for the classic LOOK and right now I don't have that. I need to search for the right knob with the right pattern on it. But for now, this works fine for me.

Check Barton industries, i believe they have a 3/8 16 bolt with a v6 shift pattern.i noticed it too late and i ordered the black hurst logo knob, no shift pattern.
Ex-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
cschmidt1956

Dave from Barton sent me an PM with that information. His company will be getting some of my money as soon as my first paycheck comes in from my new job.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
I went with this Hurst knob: http://hurst-shifters.com/hurst-prod...te-with-H-logo

Call up Hurst - they might even be able to do an exchange or something
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
My retro choice
Attached Images

IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
cschmidt1956

Had one of those on My Boss 351 and while nice, not what I was looking for for my Camaro. Found a few places that make the White Ball and the proper Shift Pattern, just didn't want to have to spend extra while it has a Ball in the box...