Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Reborn

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
The jalopnik rendering looks a lot like this even with camo. I guess their info was pretty accurate.
This.

You can see through the opening on the back and notice the angled tail lights. The inside tail lights don't seem to be illuminated. Either they are reverse lights or just have not been wired for this prototype. Also the wider front opening, A-pillar, etc. It looks rather close to Jalopnik's renderings...which is very surprising.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
No split rear window!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
that thing is really covered hard to actually tell what it will look like but i do see Led taillights.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The jalopnik rendering looks a lot like this even with camo. I guess their info was pretty accurate.
There's so much camo that the bodywork could be almost anything under there. No way can that rendering be called 'accurate' without seeing the actual bodywork. The only bits that we can say are similar are the basic profile (which hasn't really changed in about 30 years) and the exhaust (which was a good guess based on the Centenial/Stingray concept from a couple years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
In reading the article, the car is longer from the dash to the front wheels, so it is actually larger. This may be a good thing.

The width of the front track, coupled with the longer nose...does anyone else think AWD may be an option here? That would certainly make it bite off the line!
Longer dash to axle ratio. The dash to axle length could be the same, or slightly longer but with everything else scaled down a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Same thing I thought when I saw the pictures, as it's being tested in the snow. I wonder if they are seeing how well the AWD will perform in the most harsh environment. I'd love to see how hard an AWD vette can lauch off the line.
GM tests each and every vehicle in the snow. Just like they test everything in the desert. It means absolutely nothing with regard to drive-train configurations. They're seeing how things like well traction/stability control work in the snow, how effective the heater is, and how the engine reacts when the grill gets clogged with snow. Its just a part of engineering a vehicle.

I mean, does this:

mean that GM was testing for an AWD Camaro SS? I don't think so.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There's so much camo that the bodywork could be almost anything under there. No way can that rendering be called 'accurate' without seeing the actual bodywork. The only bits that we can say are similar are the basic profile (which hasn't really changed in about 30 years) and the exhaust (which was a good guess based on the Centenial/Stingray concept from a couple years ago).

Longer dash to axle ratio. The dash to axle length could be the same, or slightly longer but with everything else scaled down a bit.

GM tests each and every vehicle in the snow. Just like they test everything in the desert. It means absolutely nothing with regard to drive-train configurations. They're seeing how things like well traction/stability control work in the snow, how effective the heater is, and how the engine reacts when the grill gets clogged with snow. Its just a part of engineering a vehicle.

I mean, does this:

omg 2013 Camaro facelift spotted!!!

j/k
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
AWD would be awesome. But I know most US enthusiasts hate that idea...
AWD has it's benefits but it weighs a lot. In the right car it is cool but to me the Corvette should be rear wheel drive.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:

I mean, does this:
I wonder if those are going to be the real headlights???????

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
There's so much camo that the bodywork could be almost anything under there. No way can that rendering be called 'accurate' without seeing the actual bodywork. The only bits that we can say are similar are the basic profile (which hasn't really changed in about 30 years) and the exhaust (which was a good guess based on the Centenial/Stingray concept from a couple
Wow, no offense, but you are blind. Look back at the Jalopnik article. There is a superimposed image of both. I have no doubts Jalopnik was given unauthorized pictures (as they have stated) of the C7 and made a rendition of said images. Auto manufactures rarely, rarely, one more time rarely change designs this close to production.

The point is, if you wanna know what the C7 will look like, the Jalopnik version is probably 99% accurate. (they choose to render the ZR1 version instead of the base model)

Maybe somebody remembers the photos Popular Science (Mechanics?)had of the GMT800 tahoes and avalanches (2007+) without camo, from an article from 2003 or so. Identical to what was produced.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
They are keeping this thing on the down low. Can't wait to see a actual photo!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
as long as it goes fast idgaf
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:

I mean, does this:

10-4. Who the hell knows if it's AWD (definitely not us), but it's nice to know GM takes their test cars through the ringer in terms of weather conditions.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Wow, no offense, but you are blind. Look back at the Jalopnik article. There is a superimposed image of both. I have no doubts Jalopnik was given unauthorized pictures (as they have stated) of the C7 and made a rendition of said images. Auto manufactures rarely, rarely, one more time rarely change designs this close to production.

The point is, if you wanna know what the C7 will look like, the Jalopnik version is probably 99% accurate. (they choose to render the ZR1 version instead of the base model)

Maybe somebody remembers the photos Popular Science (Mechanics?)had of the GMT800 tahoes and avalanches (2007+) without camo, from an article from 2003 or so. Identical to what was produced.
I see a lot of bulky camo. I don't see any clear body lines. I don't see any side vents. There may or may not be hood vents. I can't see the shape of the rear glass. I can't see the design of the front fascia. I can't see the design of the rear fascia. So since I can't accurately see the details of the C7 that was caught testing, I can't honestly say that the rendering is accurate.

All we can really see are the exhaust tips, and the general profile -both of which would be pretty easy to guess based on what we've seen & heard about the C7. Oh, and there is the roof. Jalopnik got that wrong. Its keeps the reverse mohawk that the C6 has, where as Jalopnik's rendering featuers a flat roof. And then there are the tail lights. Jalopnik said they were supposed to be 'camaro-esque' while the spyshot indicates a much more circular design. Its going to take a lot more than that to convince me that they were accurate.

I don't recall the Popular Mechanics article (I assume its them, PopSci doesn't cover cars very much) but I do remember the Motor Trend renderings of the 'Z28':

Its kinda similar to the ZL1, but then again not really. Ignoring the name, MT identified that it would have a different hood & fascia & spoiler & so forth, but all their guesses as to how those things would look were wrong. And that rendering they made was based on a 'detailed clay model' about a year and a half to two years ahead of when production was expected to start -sound familiar?

I'm not saying that Jalopnik can't be right, but we simply have no reason to actually believe them right now. I suspect that when we see the final version of the C7 (next years Detroit autoshow?) we'll see that Jalopnik was 'kinda right' but not too accurate, like the Motor Trend 'Z28' (ZL1)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
This is what immediately thought!
Plus you can also see they were testing the base and either Z06 or Zr1 version
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #28
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Look, just because they are testing it in snow doesn't mean they are putting AWD in it. If AWD was the perfect answer to performance, then everybody would be doing it. Sorry for not jumping on the AWD bandwagon, but it's most likely not going to happen.