Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #43
SUPERSPORTED
Desert rat

Drives: Future 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
This is exactly what bothers me about cops. Since when is "attitude" or being "mouthy" a criminal offense? It's a big power trip. Don't piss off the cop because he has the power to retaliate.

I always wondered about warnings. Are those actual methods of law enforcement that are written down somewhere? It's an obvious method to show favoritism to certain people. Like if a friend or local politician is pulled over. Or maybe the wife of a cop. Think about it, someone breaks the law so you decide to pull them over. Why should there be any other element that decides if they get punished for breaking that law? They either did nor did not. Attitude or gender or who they are should not enter into the equation.

As far as I can see, every cop should get an automatic ticket every week because they always violate multiple laws every time I see one. They always drive way over the speed limit, and they also tailgate on the highway. Plus my favorite is when they jump out from behind a tree and point a radar gun at your car. If you jumped out from behind a tree and pointed something at them, that would be sufficient cause for them to shoot at you - so I don't see why they are allowed to do it.
what's good for the goose.....
SUPERSPORTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #44
broncosman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to broncosman
Quote:
Originally Posted by five-oh View Post
If it was an SS/M6 I'd have to ask the driver to step out and wait on the shoulder while I took the car out for a short "Safety Inspection"
heheh or like the ford gt commercial

2SS/RS with painted Rally Stripes
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com/index.php
broncosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #45
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
This is exactly what bothers me about cops. Since when is "attitude" or being "mouthy" a criminal offense? It's a big power trip. Don't piss off the cop because he has the power to retaliate.

I always wondered about warnings. Are those actual methods of law enforcement that are written down somewhere? It's an obvious method to show favoritism to certain people. Like if a friend or local politician is pulled over. Or maybe the wife of a cop. Think about it, someone breaks the law so you decide to pull them over. Why should there be any other element that decides if they get punished for breaking that law? They either did nor did not. Attitude or gender or who they are should not enter into the equation.

As far as I can see, every cop should get an automatic ticket every week because they always violate multiple laws every time I see one. They always drive way over the speed limit, and they also tailgate on the highway. Plus my favorite is when they jump out from behind a tree and point a radar gun at your car. If you jumped out from behind a tree and pointed something at them, that would be sufficient cause for them to shoot at you - so I don't see why they are allowed to do it.
Let me guess, you couldn't pass the written test or meet the height requirement?

=bobby
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #46
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
one of my favorites...except for the Ford thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosman View Post
heheh or like the ford gt commercial
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #47
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Actually, you're right in a way. Attitude and being mouthy are not criminal offenses. Should cops have to endure a tounge lashing because they are stopping someone that broke the law? Llet's say you were a kid and your dad told you that you couldn't do something and you did. When you did and he confronted you about it you gave him an attitude and told him he was a dick for telling you not to do something...now compare that to when the same situation happened and you told your dad you were sorry and you'd try not to do it again...which one do you think would have better results on how much punishment is affected on you? I don't want to get into the argument about why cops do certain things, if you're not a cop you'll never understand. That's ok. I don't know your job and I might not understand why you do the things you do.

Me, I have a set standard in mind and attitude plays very little into my decisions. But if you irritate me enough, you can certainly talk your way into something I was just going to give you a warning for. Oue warnings are recorded and can be accessed to determine whether or not a citation is going to be issued. I don't care who you are, or how hot you are, you're going to get a ticket if you deserve it.

Everyone is a little different, some let attitude play more into it, some don't. Most states have a statute that includes a "privelege" doctrine that allows cops to break the laws in certain situations.

Hopefully this post will get closed soon...it never ends well when people talk about cops. Too much emotion.

Quote:

five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #48
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:

i just can't even respond to that
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #49
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Let me guess, you couldn't pass the written test or meet the height requirement?

=bobby

seriously why would any sane person open up a thread on this topic if thats the way you feel
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #50
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Soooo I got my first warning for no plate... If I'm ever pulled over again without the plate... what's next... ticket for sure??? Go directly to jail??? or does the warning even show in the system...

I really don't want to put it on there, (but may have to now) and I hear legislation is in the works to eliminate it for TX..
Warnings are logged. You might get a 2nd warning a week later and think you got off the hook. But, if you read that warning, it says that you COULD be sent a citation in the mail. We have that system in SA. I might write someone a warning and my partner writes them a warning a few weeks later. That second one could turn into a ticket. The whole point of a warning is to inform the driver of the mistake, have the driver come to reason and accept the fact a mistake was made, and agree not to make the mistake again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
I haven't had very good luck in my mustang. I get treated like a criminal when I've been pulled over. I've been given a ticket 2 times for 10 or less over the speed limit, no front license plate (the 05 doesn't even have a designated place for one), paper tag expired by 2 days, never a warning. I got 3 of those in one month. I'm never rude, I don't say much of anything but answer their questions and get attitude back in which I just sit there and take it. I don't get it. There's definitely a class system in practice when deciding which violators to nail.
Sounds like you run into the officers who like to write tickets. They are everywhere. Some write them just to write them.....for some it's their main job...others hate writing tickets. It all depends on the officer.

I must say that you are wrong in saying there is a "class system" put in place. There is no system. It depends on the infraction and the attitude. I wrote an asian female last week who ran a stop sign right next to her work. She claimed she stopped. I watched her and since I was RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER, I had a great view. But, she made no attempt to stop other than to slow to make the 90 degree turn. She lied saying she stopped...then said she never drove that way...then said she was only coming this way to get to mass...then said she was speeding to get to mass since she was late... Don't lie to me. I hate liars. She got a ticket. I'll write her another one too. She didn't understand what a warning was for.

Another elderly female ran through a complete red light which had been red for quite a while....at least 7 seconds. She almost T-boned a Ford Ranger in front of me who had to slam on the brakes to not get hit. She said she wasn't paying attention and never even saw a light. Yet, after talking a bit more, found that she regularly drives this stretch of road. Not paying attention could have killed that guy in front of me. She got a ticket.

Now...do those two people fall into a certain class? Would they be gang bangers? Nope. Would they be peckerhead drug dealers? Nope. But, they got tickets. So....that "type" of person talk just doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenJ View Post
My son and I were pulled over on 73/74/220 over Memorial Day by a NCHP. My 16YO son was driving his '99 Z28 behind my '67 Camaro. Pulled him over, I pulled over too, was raining, I was driving "granny speed" because I didn't want ot be pulled over but I did speed up to about the speed limit to pass 2 trucks pulling campers (it was raining and they were throwing crap back on my windshield). Next thing I knew, the "bubblegum machine" comes up behind son, he pulls over, I pull over in front of him. NCHP is back chewing on son then comes up to ask me "what's your hurry"/"no hurry officer"/"then why were you running 76 and the boy was going 80 to keep up"/(huh??)"I wasn't going 76 according to my GPS"/"I know you were". Didn't take my DL/Ins/REG and threw my son's back at him as he walked back to his cruiser.
I got a ticket for 87 in a 60 when I had the cruise control on doing 67. I saw the officer waaaay up ahead as he had someone else pulled over (I had it at 7 over because the "unwritten rule" is to not pull over for less than 9mph (for most officers). He stopped me. I told him about the cruise control and I had 3 other witnesses who saw I was not speeding 27mph over the limit. He then ticketed my brother (the owner of the truck) saying he let me speed in his vehicle. This guy was a total prick. There are plenty out there. But, let's not be too quick to classify all of them as jerks. WE are not.
Quote:

With this attitude, I would write you every time....and then walk around your vehicle to double check EVERYTHING you could be written for. If you come off as a jerk and be disrespectful to me?..., me...being the person who puts my life on the line to save yours on a daily basis???....yeah, YOU get a ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five-oh View Post
Actually, you're right in a way. Attitude and being mouthy are not criminal offenses. Should cops have to endure a tounge lashing because they are stopping someone that broke the law? Let's say you were a kid and your dad told you that you couldn't do something and you did. When you did and he confronted you about it you gave him an attitude and told him he was a dick for telling you not to do something...now compare that to when the same situation happened and you told your dad you were sorry and you'd try not to do it again...which one do you think would have better results on how much punishment is affected on you? I don't want to get into the argument about why cops do certain things, if you're not a cop you'll never understand. That's ok. I don't know your job and I might not understand why you do the things you do.

Me, I have a set standard in mind and attitude plays very little into my decisions. But if you irritate me enough, you can certainly talk your way into something I was just going to give you a warning for. Oue warnings are recorded and can be accessed to determine whether or not a citation is going to be issued. I don't care who you are, or how hot you are, you're going to get a ticket if you deserve it.

Everyone is a little different, some let attitude play more into it, some don't. Most states have a statute that includes a "privelege" doctrine that allows cops to break the laws in certain situations.

Hopefully this post will get closed soon...it never ends well when people talk about cops. Too much emotion.
All excellent points. And, that is a GREAT example.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #51
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I could never be a cop. The amount of crap they take some days just to make a living is enough for me to be respectful to them every time.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #52
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I have no problem with police and have always been treated fairly by them...except the one night they pulled me over because "it's the time of night where most people are driving drunk"...don't get me started on that one. But anyway, the only thing that pisses me off is when u see a cop flying down the road 10+ over on non-highway roads with no lights on, not chasing anyone..just going fast. I HATE that, if you have cause to speed, put on your lights so you're not a hazard yourself.

Maybe the police on here could give me a possible explanation why I see cops doing this all the time. Is there ever a reason to speed that excessively without your lights on? And I thought it was illegal for them to speed without their lights on??
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #53
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I have no problem with police and have always been treated fairly by them...except the one night they pulled me over because "it's the time of night where most people are driving drunk"...don't get me started on that one. But anyway, the only thing that pisses me off is when u see a cop flying down the road 10+ over on non-highway roads with no lights on, not chasing anyone..just going fast. I HATE that, if you have cause to speed, put on your lights so you're not a hazard yourself.

Maybe the police on here could give me a possible explanation why I see cops doing this all the time. Is there ever a reason to speed that excessively without your lights on? And I thought it was illegal for them to speed without their lights on??
I have seen this many times, on Wednesday a policeman passed me and was doing 20 or 30 over the speed limit. I kinda laid back but kept up with him he passed a lot of cars over the next 10 or so miles. We finally came up on a fender bender accident, nothing big "no injuries", he turned on his blue lights at that point to handle the situation. IMO he did the right thing, I am sure if he had his blue lights on the whole time people would have been at more risk pulling off the 2 lane road or stopping where there was not room to pass from panic. If I were a police officer I would do the same thing, people do stupid things when they see the blue lights. I have seen this many times and if I were them and could make good time in a situation like this I would not use my blue lights either.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #54
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post

=bobby
Oh please. I have college degree and a job in engineering. Being a police officer never entered my mind.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #55
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
With this attitude, I would write you every time....and then walk around your vehicle to double check EVERYTHING you could be written for. If you come off as a jerk and be disrespectful to me?..., me...being the person who puts my life on the line to save yours on a daily basis???....yeah, YOU get a ticket.
I was expressing an opinion. I don't agree about how a ticket can be determined on attitude. A traffic stop shouldn't be a personality test. If you don't like being a cop then do something else. That doesn't mean I give cops a hard time. I've been pulled over once in the last 22 years and got a warning for a chintzy "going through a yellow light" violation.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #56
broncosman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to broncosman
Heheh TAG UR IT, you're right

Quote:

Teleplayer, one thing I never realized before I became an officer is that you can go to jail or get a citation for anything (Except 2 things and I'll leave that up to you to figure out). So Peace Officers exercise a lot of restraint and give many brakes more then you realize. But hey, I mean you're right. We Peace Officers & Military folk risk our lives everyday for others' freedom and safety just so people can run around and have an attitude and hate us for it. Enjoy

My favorite is the race card. On several occasions I stop someone just to tell them "Hey, just wanted to let you know your driver's/passengers side brake light is out, tail light is out." and I ask for their DL & Insurance. I check their info to make sure they have no warrants and I go back and let them know why I stopped them. Then "So, did you just stop me b/c I'm black in a black neighborhood?"...
No, I stopped you b/c your tail light is out and I just wanted to let you know, but I appreciate the racial comment. You have a wonderful day!
So, are there officers out there on a power trip? Sure, it's no different from the corporate world.

Quote:
I was expressing an opinion. I don't agree about how a ticket can be determined on attitude. A traffic stop shouldn't be a personality test. If you don't like being a cop then do something else. That doesn't mean I give cops a hard time. I've been pulled over once in the last 22 years and got a warning for a chintzy "going through a yellow light" violation.
Going through a yellow light can be dangerous and many people have lost their lives doing that as well. Yellow is not, "hurry your ass up man, it's about to turn red!" It means to hey, it's turning red, slow down and stop. Caution. For the most part, the deal with stopping people for small minor infractions like changing lanes w/o signaling, a tail light out, no blinker on turn is for probable cause to stop you. Give us the right to talk to you and see what you're up to (where coming & going etc.) and run your information in the database to see if you have warrants. Many wanted people are caught on traffic stops. I think it was the oaklahoma bomber, some of the 9-11 guys were all stopped on traffic on their way to doing what they were doing. They weren't wanted at the time so they were let go.

2SS/RS with painted Rally Stripes
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com/index.php
broncosman is offline   Reply With Quote