Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
brownmamba24

Drives: 2014 Black Camro 1ss Auto
Can Tune Blow Up Engine??

Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Camaro SS L99 with SW Dual Chambered Catback Exhaust, Solo Hi Flo Cats, CAI Cold Air Intake and a Ported TB. I currently have less than 10,000 km on the car and I am planning on getting a custom tune from Ted @ Jannetty Racing. My question is with the mods I have what are the chances that one could end up with a blown engine or any other major issues? As I am trying to weigh my options with warranty because I don't want to end up with any major issues after the tune.

Thanks

Last edited by brownmamba24; 05-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.
brownmamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
brownmamba24

Drives: 2014 Black Camro 1ss Auto
Anyone that can give some info please?
brownmamba24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I tuned my car when it was 7 weeks old with 2300 miles. Over 3 years later at almost 38K miles. Car runs flawless, never had an issue. Who knows, car probably has same chance of blowing up without a tune. Depends on a lot of things.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Ted is a very knowledgeable tuner and a great guy. With what little you have done, chances of one of his tunes damaging anything is very slim.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a tune until you get some headers. You will see very little gains with what mods you have done.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
I tuned my car when it was 7 weeks old with 2300 miles. Over 3 years later at almost 38K miles. Car runs flawless, never had an issue. Who knows, car probably has same chance of blowing up without a tune. Depends on a lot of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Ted is a very knowledgeable tuner and a great guy. With what little you have done, chances of one of his tunes damaging anything is very slim.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a tune until you get some headers. You will see very little gains with what mods you have done.
There are thousands and thousands of success stories just like this one and thank you guys for chiming in and helping our new friend.

Remember the L99 Responds best to JRE custom ECM and TCM tuning even near stock configuration.

I have been tuning engines in Cars Street and Race, boats motorcycles and snowmobiles for over 35 years, and Custom Remote tuning Cars over email for over 5 years now, The Results and feed back have been nothing short of amazing.

I Privately tune for many prominent companies in the performance industry.

Thank you all for your support and business.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmamba24 View Post
My question is with the mods I have what are the chances that one could end up with a blown engine or any other major issues?
Thanks
Its not about the mods you have, more about how the car is tuned. As stated, a good tuner will not throw your settings out of whack far enough to grenade your engine. Just the opposite, your engine should last longer, considering its going to run more efficiently.

Now a bad tuner.....well there out there, and usually you don't know you got one till its too late.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Transmission tune is vital on the auto in my opinion, although I didn't use JRE so I can't speak to how the tune he is using performs.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
FIRESHO

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE Red Rock Metallic
I have a bone stock '14 1LE. 6mt w/ the performance exhaust. I understand the value of a tune after adding mods, completely. I suppose MY question is; Is there value in getting a tune in stock form? I have heard that there are still a few HP on the table, even in factory configuration
FIRESHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
white ZL1

Drives: none
OP....in an instant. It's not that hard to accidentally punch the wrong number into the calibration and not catch it.
Choose your tuner carefully. Look for the good and the bad, and don't believe everything that you read on this forum.
And I'm not just another "enthusiast" that's saying this. I've been tuning LT and LS engines for 15 years for friends.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRESHO View Post
I have a bone stock '14 1LE. 6mt w/ the performance exhaust. I understand the value of a tune after adding mods, completely. I suppose MY question is; Is there value in getting a tune in stock form? I have heard that there are still a few HP on the table, even in factory configuration
There is power left in your car a tune can unlock, but its not much without the mods. You'll be lucky to gain 15 whp with a stock setup. IMO
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
A bad tuner can blow your engine in no time if he desensitizes the knock sensors and or messes w/how fast the timing pulled is put back...or limits the amount of timing to just a few degree's. Same if he goes to much timing and to lean trying to make the "most power". Go with a proven safe tuner that if you Google search you don't find the internet full of horror stories. Search " xxx tuner blew my engine" and see.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
A bad tune can certainly cause an issue, but if you are going through Jannetty there is zero issue, top flight shop.

I am in same boat, about to take the plunge and do substantial mods and a tune. An engine can always go for whatever reason, but with basic mods and a proper tune I don't think that ups the odds at all. Good luck!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
2014CamaroSSRS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS
I tuned my own 2014 camaro the day I brought it home from my dealer, with 25 miles on it haha... currently about 5000 miles on it, no issues.. strong as hell...
2014CamaroSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
Barryj2065
AWZUM-SS

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS A6
Highly recommend Ted and JANNETTYRACING tune, very pleased with mine.

Tags
blown engine, tune, warranty