Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #127
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #128
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Whether you like the looks of these new dampeners or not, they are causing a major problem for me and I do not even have them on my car. I have been shopping around for new wheels to put my summer tires on and most wheel distributors and manufacturers are changing their approved fitment for the SS to allow for the additional size of these new brake pads. I can only find a couple models of 20" wheel that are approved to fit and they aren't near the style I am looking for. I am relatively certain that many of the 20" wheels will fit my car as long as I don't have the big dampeners, but ordering is now a crapshoot and if I guess wrong about the fitment of a wheel, then I might have trouble returning them. Many wheel shops would not even sell the wheels to me unless I lie and tell them I have an LS. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can tell if a wheel will fit the original brake pads or aftermarket ceramic brake pads?
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #129
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I think no matter what solution they come up with some people would never be satisfied. Im really starting to think that people are expecting way too much from these cars. Which is dangerous because no car is perfect. I love any flaws in a car. I loved my rattles on all my third gens and the scraping of the front deflector. The people that accept these problems as good ol Camaro quirks are the real lovers. I think all the perfectionist will be the first people to walk away when something else comes along. Which is fine because Ill still be rippin around in my junky 2010 Camaro loving every minute of it. Whatever lol.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #130
TRooper
Resident Stormtrooper

Drives: Creations n' Chrome Red Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
And for the record, I havent seen any other Brembo equipped car with any weights or dumbbells used to quiet down the brakes. Not sure why specifically the camaro is having this problem.
My STi rear calipers had a weight attached to it. The weights are not visible when mounted to the car. It also did not affect the wheel fitment at all. Brake noise is inevitable with a fixed caliper performance brake system. Higher end cars have expensive ways of silencing this noise. Since the Camaro must operate within a certain price point, dampner aesthetics will take a backseat to function. Here is a pic of my STi Brembo rear calipers. The fronts were very noisy as I was running some pretty aggressive pads with titanium shims and no stop squeal.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #131
joeaux
Kicker!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2LT/RS
Mmmm. Brings back old memories. I had two STi's. Loved them damn cars.
-joe-
Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #132
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
wooow .. There a alot of miss informed people on here ... They don't replace the stick on wheel weights.. they are there for wheel balancing!! these are for Heat Disapation some will say Harmonic Dampening .. Be seroius what did you think they are there for???
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #133
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRooper View Post
My STi rear calipers had a weight attached to it. The weights are not visible when mounted to the car. It also did not affect the wheel fitment at all. Brake noise is inevitable with a fixed caliper performance brake system. Higher end cars have expensive ways of silencing this noise. Since the Camaro must operate within a certain price point, dampner aesthetics will take a backseat to function. Here is a pic of my STi Brembo rear calipers. The fronts were very noisy as I was running some pretty aggressive pads with titanium shims and no stop squeal.
STI also adds a decent size lump if steel onto the front upright forging that is not on the WRX (but the rear is the bolt-on you have shown). This helps damp vibrations transmitted from the caliper to the rest of the corner assembly. I would take a guess that the Camaro would also benefit from a similar approach, but the required design, test and tooling change would be very expensive. The weighted brake pads are the most cost-effective solution (if they work...). Automakers typically prioritize the mitigation of NVH issues over aftermarket wheel fitment.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #134
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
wooow .. There a alot of miss informed people on here ... They don't replace the stick on wheel weights.. they are there for wheel balancing!! these are for Heat Disapation some will say Harmonic Dampening .. Be seroius what did you think they are there for???

Hey Tony, There have been over 130 posts in this thread, all by people who have a completely different understanding of the issue than you. Did you pause for a moment to consider that there might be 130 people who understand the issue and only 1 who does not?

I'll wait here while you check the mirror.

OK, now that you are back...The stick on wheel weights referred to in this thread are not the ones on the wheels for balancing. We are referring to the stick on wheel weights on the calipers that are for vibration reduction/harmonic dampening. The new solution (instead of attaching wheel weights to the calipers) is pictured in the original post.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #135
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
I guess those that want the stick on weights can have the mouse barbells removed and the weights glued on instead. I don't mind the way it looks because I have painted them a flat black and they are difficult to see. My concern is trying to put on snow tires should Ii wish in the future. Will 19" wheels fit?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #136
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Well I stand corrected...I guess it would have been nice to see a solution similar to others instead of the "roller skates" idea. I get the necessity of them, but it seems other manufactures have done a much nicer job of integrating a solution or those features.

Hey this pie tastes great.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #137
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Business opportunity:
1. Manufacture a cover that makes the rollerskates look similar to other manufacturers' solution.
2. ???
3. Profit!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #138
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Yes I got the roller skate wheels,got alot of brake dust and now at 3,200 miles I picked up the Garbage Truck "Sqeeeeeal" in town driving. The wife pointed it out while driving to town and said...Listen..Sounds like SHIT!!coming out the right side, going to pull the wheels and try the Brake Lube that I put on the Harley brakes, we will see the outcome later
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #139
HeavyDuty SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
are the roller skates only on 2 front wheels, I don't see them at rear wheels.
2011 SS.
HeavyDuty SS is offline   Reply With Quote