Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #43
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
LMAO! had to repost this!!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #44
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
For what it's worth, almost no manufacturer will warranty the speed rating after the tire has been compromised, at least with performance summer tires, irrespective of how the repair was performed. If you have a road hazard warranty and intend to drive the tires at high speed, you may want to contact the manufacturer and find out if the speed rating would be covered. Otherwise, use the road hazard insurance to get a new tire.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=225

LEFT HAND DRIVE

Last edited by Dan1028; 12-13-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Updated for spelling and link.
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #45
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
I am also not so sure I agree that indexing a tire and using this plug being discussed here would result in not needing to balance the tire. Just normal wear on a tire sometimes results in the need to balance. So if the tire has been run a while, break the tire down, get it as close as possible to where it was when remounting, and we add a plug which is weight, I don't see how the balance remains true. Close maybe, but is close okay when you already have the tire off? I still stand by plug the tire on the car and keep rolling.
If you need to balance a worn tire, then it isn't extra expense. It is routine maintenance. By indexing the tire, the balance is no better or worse than it was before the plug was installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
I agree with JusticePete. I work at a tire shop, and the TIA standard is the plug/patch. Sure, many have used sticky plugs without any problems, but when done with the right prep, a plug/patch is a permanent solution all the time.

As far as your rim, I hate seeing stuff like that. It really comes down to the shop being irresponsible and not being careful with their work. The equipment we have is nowhere close to cutting edge, but a rubber duck head and a tech that takes pride in their work and treats every car like their own could have easily got that job done.

And it doesn't necessarily matter what the name on the store is. I work for one of those corporate tire shops (you know the ones attached to a retail store) , and I have people that have trailered cars, and I constantly get people with less than 1k on the clock. Word gets around fast.

Its not only the pay. A lot of people don't take pride in their own work anymore. It's a shame.

I understand all the reasons people have to simply stick a plug from the outside in their tire. When it comes to safety, I operate on overkill because we work mostly on cars that are driven hard, really hard and the majority see road course time. I have been on this forum for some time with a strong commitment to get thee best available information to thee members.

As Popeye used to say -- I am what I am and it's all what I am
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #46
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
So Monday I brought the car in at 7 a.m. sharp and it took them about a half an hour to change the tire to the spare. They said it would take 2 days for the repair to happen. They agreed to take the wheel over to the shop. They said they would give me a call when it was repaired, so now it's Thursday. That's two full days in case they didn't take it over until 1 or 2 on Monday Etc.
So what's the nice way of asking about my wheel without getting frustrated I haven't been called yet. No it's not obnoxiously late, but I just want to get this finished and hopefully never have to return. I stressed to them that I needed my wheel back in order to complete a trip up to Northern Kentucky which 71 is not very tire/wheel friendly to begin with.

I apologize for using the word plug in my original thread post. It was always supposed to be a patch but in my ignorance I didn't know the difference. Thanks again for everyone's input and interest.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #47
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
So Monday I brought the car in at 7 a.m. sharp and it took them about a half an hour to change the tire to the spare. They said it would take 2 days for the repair to happen. They agreed to take the wheel over to the shop. They said they would give me a call when it was repaired, so now it's Thursday. That's two full days in case they didn't take it over until 1 or 2 on Monday Etc.
So what's the nice way of asking about my wheel without getting frustrated I haven't been called yet. No it's not obnoxiously late, but I just want to get this finished and hopefully never have to return. I stressed to them that I needed my wheel back in order to complete a trip up to Northern Kentucky which 71 is not very tire/wheel friendly to begin with.

I apologize for using the word plug in my original thread post. It was always supposed to be a patch but in my ignorance I didn't know the difference. Thanks again for everyone's input and interest.
Good morning. Can i swing by this morning and pick up my tire?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #48
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Damn....
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #49
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Good morning. Can i swing by this morning and pick up my tire?

Genius!

I would have said something and probably added, "Or Else."
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #50
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
I agree with JusticePete. I work at a tire shop, and the TIA standard is the plug/patch. Sure, many have used sticky plugs without any problems, but when done with the right prep, a plug/patch is a permanent solution all the time.

As far as your rim, I hate seeing stuff like that. It really comes down to the shop being irresponsible and not being careful with their work. The equipment we have is nowhere close to cutting edge, but a rubber duck head and a tech that takes pride in their work and treats every car like their own could have easily got that job done.

And it doesn't necessarily matter what the name on the store is. I work for one of those corporate tire shops (you know the ones attached to a retail store) , and I have people that have trailered cars, and I constantly get people with less than 1k on the clock. Word gets around fast.

Its not only the pay. A lot of people don't take pride in their own work anymore. It's a shame.

That settles it, I'm going to you in Jersey to get my tire PATCHED. See you in about a week!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #51
Hetfield03

Well, speaking of taking pride in their work... I got the wheel back. It looks good. The manager put my wheel on. He pulled my car around, I'm like, "Thank you very much, ohh... Have you got my wheel lock for the lug nuts?"
He starts looking, not by the compressor, not by the tool chest. Left it on the wheel. Phew, got it before I started really driving and it flew off. He blamed that on being off yesterday and getting no sleep...

But I'm done with these guys. From the beginning, no one really took the wheel so to speak. They were more concerned about how it would affect their bottom line. Tracking down the repair ended up being my task and I did that because I cared. I get it, they don't really, and they're busy. But it just really does come down to taking responsibility and taking pride in your work, and if you're going to be a manager, take care of your customers first.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #52
Hetfield03

Got in my car tonight and the sensor came on about 3 miles down the road. 30 PSI. The other three tires are holding steady. Granted it's cold outside. I can't believe I have to go back... When I get back from work in the morning I just pray it doesn't go down any further and maybe I can assume they didn't air it up enough.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #53
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
damn son...hope it works out for ya...and for future needs https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Del...3=1674&veh=sem

lol kinda tongue in cheek, just could not help myself...Merry Christmas bro!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #54
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
damn son...hope it works out for ya...and for future needs https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Del...3=1674&veh=sem

lol kinda tongue in cheek, just could not help myself...Merry Christmas bro!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #55
Hetfield03

Unbelievable! My tire was down to 25 psi and I called right after work just now. The same manager refused to work on it because he said his machine would scratch the wheel.
Thats exactly the opposite of what he said to me the very first conversation.

I'm at another location where the manager said it should be no problem to fix. Just need to be careful.

What a disreputable manager the first place has!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #56
Hetfield03

The patch work was fine. The wheel was leaking around the edge. The repaired wheel. Can you imagine? This manager sealed it with bead sealer and sent me on my way.

One complaint filed with corporate, along with lavish praise for the second manager who cleaned up the other's mess.