Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #57
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Don't forget that you can easily get GM Preferred Pricing and sign up for a USAA account (through Sept I believe) for another $750 off. The Preferred Pricing is based on a % of the cost of the car. I got $1,800 off on mine (2SS w/polished wheels) so you'll probably get more off with your options. I paid right at $33,500 for mine but didn't get the RS, stripes, shifter, or sunroof.

You might consider going aftermarket on both stripes and shifter. Both will be a little cheaper and you can customize your stripes if you want. I ended up with an MGW shifter after having a Hurst for about 2 weeks. Much better shifter IMO but there are plenty of people who like their Hursts.

Look up some of the Dealer sponsors on this forum.....someone like Eric Hall or Camaro Scotty. You can buy through them, get all your discounts, and have it delivered to your local dealer.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #58
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Thought I was the only one that noticed this....your narrative seems to lean towards the camaro yet you rate lower?...

There is no way in a firey hell that the mustang has a better appearance than the camaro. The exterior looks the same, tired scheme that has been there for decades...they added a bit of curvature and now its a different car? Don't get me wrong, I love AMERICAN muscle...the 5.0 is impressive, but the exterior alone kills the car for me.

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
But it is amusing to read an average Joe's comparison and grading of 2 vehicles to apply to only for 1 audience, himself. If you want the professional version, done by pros who do this for a living and have a knowledge-base based on comparing thousands of cars, grade and compare for the general public.... may I suggest Motor Trend, Car Driver, etc. etc. (mags the OP has been dissecting)

The 335i is a nice car to have under warranty. Post-warranty, any prob with the turbo engine....big $$$.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #59
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I'd definately drive both and make a decision if you are looking. I have to agree with a lot about what you say. I think what it will come down to is when you drive it, which engages you more (and coming from a BMW, I'm sure that is somewhat important to you) .. IMO it will be the FORD ...

Crowley
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #60
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
I think you'll find the Mustang is more in line with what you've come to expect from the BMW. I know when I drove the 5.0 it was very much like the BMW 5 series my brother owns.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #61
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It really is a big change from the BMW to the others. I understand. I drove an 02SS for YEARS. Yes, the driver door is higher...and like everything else, you get USED to it! You'll LOVE it. I promise!
Funny. You are probably right.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #62
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Thought I was the only one that noticed this....your narrative seems to lean towards the camaro yet you rate lower?...

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have moderate to major power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
Sorry if my narrative was a bit confusing. I see what you mean. I do care about performance. That is why these two cars are the only ones I am looking at. But since I still have to use it as a car so I tried to rate all those things too.

One thing I forgot to mention is I found the Camaro more comfortable for me. That is important if you spend alot of time in the car.

I do not want to spend BMW money so yes the Camaro is a little better value. I did mention that in my second review post.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #63
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
By most accounts Sync is in a league of its own over the SS electronics. Also the Ford navigation is the best OEM in the American market.

I found the Camaro's gauges more interesting, but the Mustangs easier to read in a hurry.
That's where the HUD comes in to save the day. ;-)

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #64
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
The low roofline is one of the best parts of the camaro, yeah it may be harder to see out of but it looks awesome and futuristic. It makes the car look like a chop top and I love it
Ditto, it certainly was part of the concept design executed perfectly in the production model. Its part of the character of the car.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #65
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Don't forget that you can easily get GM Preferred Pricing and sign up for a USAA account (through Sept I believe) for another $750 off. The Preferred Pricing is based on a % of the cost of the car. I got $1,800 off on mine (2SS w/polished wheels) so you'll probably get more off with your options. I paid right at $33,500 for mine but didn't get the RS, stripes, shifter, or sunroof.

You might consider going aftermarket on both stripes and shifter. Both will be a little cheaper and you can customize your stripes if you want. I ended up with an MGW shifter after having a Hurst for about 2 weeks. Much better shifter IMO but there are plenty of people who like their Hursts.

Look up some of the Dealer sponsors on this forum.....someone like Eric Hall or Camaro Scotty. You can buy through them, get all your discounts, and have it delivered to your local dealer.
Thanks. I would suppose I would have to take delivery before the end of September to get the USAA discount. I will look into that one.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #66
Fraxum

OK, Camaro wins. I probably will have to order to get it the way I want.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #67
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This may be the best post in the whole thread!!!!!
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #68
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
cool....I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I LOVE my Camaro but I'm not a Mustang hater. I don't care much for the latest style though. I think the '05-'08 looks alot better. I was going to buy a used GT500 if the Camaro didn't come along but I'm MUCH happier with the Camaro.....although I will say a '11 GT500 in Silver and Black is a nice looking machine (except for the rear). Even used the GT500 was going to be about $5k more than what I paid for a new Camaro.

I think the Camaro also be a better choice over an '11 Mustang in the fact that I would be willing to bet that the Mustang will be getting a whole new look in the next year or so. The current body style has been around long enough and they will need to do something in the styling area to compete with the Camaro.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #69
Fraxum

To end the confusion over my evaluation:

I judged the Mustang as better looking, slightly faster, slightly better handing, and it has a slightly better interior.

The Camaro was more interesting to look at, rarer, more comfortable, torquier, cheaper, has IRS, has a sunroof, easier to work on under the hood, and I enjoyed driving it a bit more.

Also I can mod the Camaro quite easily to run with or better than the Mustang. I think Modding is fun.

I was also wishing for a Nav and now that I have seen the Metra kit Nav looks easy and very factory like for the money.

I have decided the weight difference and low roof are not so important after all.

Two great cars, one winner for me.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-17-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #70
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
I think you'll find the Mustang is more in line with what you've come to expect from the BMW. I know when I drove the 5.0 it was very much like the BMW 5 series my brother owns.
For me anyway I wanted something a little more rowdy than the BMW. Great, almost perfect car, but a little boring over time I found. But I want something a little less rowdy than my fbody 4th gen.

The SS is very sophisticated and has a bad-boy edge.