Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #15
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Open the butterfly with the actuator with your hand while the car is running and see if your vacuum goes up. I remember when I turbo'd my RX8, The biggest thing to look for was a sudden loss in vacuum. That meant you popped an apex seal. (Equivalent to piston ring) Maybe you have too much ring gap???
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
We'll see. I can't mess with it till Saturday now.

I did change them. Also sprayed mucho propane gas in that area when testing for leak. BUT I'm going to go at it with some carb cleaner next.

I'm a little surprised that nobody thinks that the overdrive pulley spinning the blower faster than standard could be the deal.
19 psi here, blower speed is not your issue.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Open the butterfly with the actuator with your hand while the car is running and see if your vacuum goes up. I remember when I turbo'd my RX8, The biggest thing to look for was a sudden loss in vacuum. That meant you popped an apex seal. (Equivalent to piston ring) Maybe you have too much ring gap???
I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
19 psi here, blower speed is not your issue.
I was just curious because when I had the 1:1 pulley set i could push the gas and as the rpms went up the blower turned faster (obviously not into boost) and the vacuum went down like normal. Of course when it hit boost it would be PSI.

So if the vacuum decreases by spinning the blower a little faster with a 1:1 in back it would make sense that putting an overdrive set where it was, say, 1.5:1 then the vacuum would decrease.

Anyone who get's in their car with a boost gauge can lightly push on the gas and watch the vacuum go down.

So if it's N/A it happens with only the natural piston flow. But with the blower, IF it were actually trying to create a little boost it could plausibly lower the vacuum.

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn so I may sound like an idiot. If so just tell me.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
If you rev the engine, you are decreasing engine vacuum which is telling the bypass to start closing, which is allowing some air to go through the rotors. Like i said, rotor speed has nothing to do with vacuum as long as your actuator is working correctly. I would absolutely double check your lines going to and from the actuator. Something has to be crossed.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
fourmz
Fourmz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
Might also want to check the grommet on the booster itself. I had one split on my 2008 Silverado and cause a slight leak. cant hurt to check.
Black-in-Black/Blue out 2010 2SS/RS LS-3 -Magnacharger TVS2300,OD cog belt drive, 3.4" pulley, Janetty smooth idle blower cam,ID-850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump,MSD boost a pump, ADM FPCM Janetty custom tune,Doug Thorley long tube headers, Corsa catback,C.A.I. Intake, Roto-Fab Big Gulp Scoop, Monster LT1/SC Clutch assembly,Eibach pro kit plus, BMR cradle/diff bushings, Barton Shifter,JRE 3.91 Eaton Tru-Trac rear diff,Barton Short Throw SHifter, Boss 339 20" wheels,Painted heritage grille, Sparks Restoration Inverted blue/black SS emblems, Seibon BB carbon fiber hood, ZL1 front bumper conversion.
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
If you rev the engine, you are decreasing engine vacuum which is telling the bypass to start closing, which is allowing some air to go through the rotors. Like i said, rotor speed has nothing to do with vacuum as long as your actuator is working correctly. I would absolutely double check your lines going to and from the actuator. Something has to be crossed.
I'm feeling like an idiot right now. I knew how it worked because I zip tied it open a few years ago when I like my son take it to Homecoming. With the actuator open it can only recirculate and not boost.

I"m actually guessing manifold gasket leak. I'll find out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmz View Post
Might also want to check the grommet on the booster itself. I had one split on my 2008 Silverado and cause a slight leak. cant hurt to check.
It does look good.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Also sprayed mucho propane gas in that area when testing for leak. BUT I'm going to go at it with some with some carb cleaner next.
Keep in mind carb cleaner and painted surfaces do not play nice together. You have a lot of painted components that have the potential of becoming damaged by the carb cleaner.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
Keep in mind carb cleaner and painted surfaces do not play nice together. You have a lot of painted components that have the potential of becoming damaged by the carb cleaner.
OH I was careful. haha

But there is just simply no leak. Must be in the tune.

So my next move is tune.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #23
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I don't think I have ever seen anyone with as many car problems as you PQ. I can remember you having problems with your car back in 09 or early 2010 when it was new and it seemed as though they never stopped. I feel for you bud. Hopefully you get it sorted out. I think Gremlins came with that car from the factory or some kind of bad luck spell got put on it or something. Hope you get it sorted out and good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anyone with as many car problems as you PQ. I can remember you having problems with your car back in 09 or early 2010 when it was new and it seemed as though they never stopped. I feel for you bud. Hopefully you get it sorted out. I think Gremlins came with that car from the factory or some kind of bad luck spell got put on it or something. Hope you get it sorted out and good luck.
haha, Well the new engine and cam needs tuned and I should be ok. Sitting for a year did not help.

Got a funny headlight issue.

Nothing worse for a car than sitting.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #25
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I think he loves that car. He will probably keep it till he crooks as much blood sweat and tears he has put into her. I always refer to her as the Black Bitch when we talk on the phone.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I think he loves that car. He will probably keep it till he crooks as much blood sweat and tears he has put into her. I always refer to her as the Black Bitch when we talk on the phone.
It WILL be for sale soon. When I'm done.

I'm going to ask what I think it's worth and if nobody wants to pay it then I keep it.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #27
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
any luck with this issue
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
lack of vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmz View Post
There are 2 colors of booster valves depending on vacuum wanted. Cruise the internet for specs.

Any leaks at the booster can cause lack of vacuum, also if the booster pin is a little short or long it can cause concerns usually brakes dragging. You can try a couple of washers between the master cylinder and booster, look for an improvement. Most European turbo cars have a small electric vacuum pump and vacuum tank since they lack ported vacuum.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote