Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #1107
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
If what I'm reading here in the last few posts about a Camaro Z28 ripping up a Z06...it better have a dry sump system on it as it will meet or exceed the Gs that Z06 is pulling. I highly doubt the ZL1 will come anywhere near the lateral Gs that will require a dry sump.
Perhaps I am being included into that argument by your interpretation of what I wrote. Thats not the case, and I wasn't making any commentary about that discussion you guys were having in regards to a Corvette. I asked more of a "why can't we do this" open ended question, and did not base it upon any one comparison or example of performance to one vehicle or another. Carry on.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1108
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
As we've discussed at length, here, power-to-weight is the key ingredient for quick-'n-nimble vehicles. Let's take a look at some numbers:

ZL1 - 4100 Curb (lightly optioned [pun not intended]?) with 580/556 = 7.07/7.37

Z06 - 3132 Curb (1SA) with 505/470 = 6.20/6.66

SuperZEE - 3849 (1SS) minus 300 (and still streetable?) with 570/575 = 6.23/6.17 (LPE @ $19,995*)

SuperZEE - 3849 (1SS) minus 300 (and still streetable?) with 600/575 = 5.92/6.17 (Katech @ $12,350*)

* Assumes LT headers/exhaust in place; engine oil cooler extra. No claims of emissions compliance.

SuperZEE, as a "runner", is now at/past mid-$40s as a 1SS with near/now 600 hp, n/a. Weight reduction, wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, HD driveline upgrades are extra. At aftermarket-prepped/installed prices, add $15-20K.

Can it be done? Of course.

Raise your hand... "Operators are standing by..."
.................................................. .................................................. .......................

With regard to wet-sump vs. dry, and all manner of hardcore track-related goodies, I think from a GM perspective we need to initially concentrate on gettin' the car built and into showrooms... LS7, non-MR, HD driveline/brakes/wheels 'n tires. From there, Option Code TC1, either Oshawa-installed (?!) or GMPP-supplied and dealer/owner-installed (more likely), would be a worthy consideration: Engine/diff coolers, MR (possible RPO), dry-sump "upgrade" (possible RPO ala Vette GS/6-speed), front seats, "camera bar" etc. Ala carte, or complete.

'Course, if this is a tuner-only iteration, the sky's the limit as to features/options. Again, "can we help you lighten that moneybelt?!"

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 09-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #1109
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

With deference to Pete and his practical experience, the Pedders Camaro is wet-sumped...with max g-load approaching 1.4. Is that accurate, Pete?

"They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!"

Untouchable, indeed!

Damn good name for the car...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #1110
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Perhaps I am being included into that argument by your interpretation of what I wrote. Thats not the case, and I wasn't making any commentary about that discussion you guys were having in regards to a Corvette. I asked more of a "why can't we do this" open ended question, and did not base it upon any one comparison or example of performance to one vehicle or another. Carry on.
I didn't mean to come across like that, if I did I apologize for that. It's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Now back to the Z/28 Dream Car. The benchmark is not a Z06. The Pedders Camaro with a ProCharger has already been there and done that. My DREAM Z/28 walks a Z06. My DREAM Z/28 does sweat a Mustang in any configuration. My DREAM Z/28 is Chicago style.
They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!

No blower weight up front. No F/I heat soak. Better brakes. A differential that puts power down regardless of G load. Lighter weight wheels. Square wheel and tire setup. Creative lightening. Hoop with removable bar for two well installed 5 point harnesses. Brake ducts. N/A 600 RWHP. Better clutch. Separate hydraulic fluid reservoirs. Heat extraction. Thermal management.
Pete, this Chicago Croation LOVES this...MAKE IT SO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
As we've discussed at length, here, power-to-weight is the key ingredient for quick-'n-nimble vehicles. Let's take a look at some numbers:

ZL1 - 4100 Curb (lightly optioned [pun not intended]?) with 580/556 = 7.07/7.37

Z06 - 3132 Curb (1SA) with 505/470 = 6.20/6.66

SuperZEE - 3849 (1SS) minus 300 (and still streetable?) with 570/575 = 6.23/6.17 (LPE @ $19,995*)

SuperZEE - 3849 (1SS) minus 300 (and still streetable?) with 600/575 = 5.92/6.17 (Katech @ $12,350*)

* Assumes LT headers/exhaust in place; engine oil cooler extra. No claims of emissions compliance.

SuperZEE, as a "runner", is now at/past mid-$40s as a 1SS with near/now 600 hp, n/a. Weight reduction, wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, HD driveline upgrades are extra. At aftermarket-prepped/installed prices, add $15-20K.

Can it be done? Of course.

Raise your hand... "Operators are standing by..."
.................................................. .................................................. .......................

With regard to wet-sump vs. dry, and all manner of hardcore track-related goodies, I think from a GM perspective we need to initially concentrate on gettin' the car built and into showrooms... LS7, non-MR, HD driveline/brakes/wheels 'n tires. From there, Option Code TC1, either Oshawa-installed (?!) or GMPP-supplied and dealer/owner-installed (more likely), would be a worthy consideration: Engine/diff coolers, MR (possible RPO), dry-sump "upgrade" (possible RPO ala Vette GS/6-speed), front seats, "camera bar" etc. Ala carte, or complete.

'Course, if this is a tuner-only iteration, the sky's the limit as to features/options. Again, "can we help you lighten that moneybelt?!"
Where do I sign?
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #1111
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Call 1-800-SUPERZEE...operators are standing by...

Or better yet, pm Pete...he could actually make that one happen NOW!

Gotta Black AMEX? Have that handy...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #1112
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Allow me to remind everyone, the Pedders Camaro and Mustang already run faster than a Z06. They out run a CTS-V race car running slicks compared to the Pedders street cars on street tires. We have the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro all pulling sustained 1.3 G turns with peaks into the 1.4 range.

With the vehicles we have tested I can say with confidence that the Mustang and Camaro are so close on road course it is hard to pick a winner, to pick a best vehicle. At the risk of repeating myself, the Mustang is a great track car. On the edge, it doesn't talk to you. On the edge the Mustang screams at you. On the edge, the IRS in the Camaro whispers gently in your ear. Both are fast. Both are different. The weight savings helps and hurts the Mustang. The three link rear suspension feels wobbly. It goes, but is not secure. The Camaro IRS weight hurts and helps. It inspires confidence. A good driver will be very fast in a 5th Gen.

Now back to the Z/28 Dream Car. The benchmark is not a Z06. The Pedders Camaro with a ProCharger has already been there and done that. My DREAM Z/28 walks a Z06. My DREAM Z/28 does sweat a Mustang in any configuration. My DREAM Z/28 is Chicago style.

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!

No blower weight up front. No F/I heat soak. Better brakes. A differential that puts power down regardless of G load. Lighter weight wheels. Square wheel and tire setup. Creative lightening. Hoop with removable bar for two well installed 5 point harnesses. Brake ducts. N/A 600 RWHP. Better clutch. Separate hydraulic fluid reservoirs. Heat extraction. Thermal management.

My DREAM Z/28 has everything the first Pedders Supercar had, but more across the board. No more fly swatter. My Z/28 would be a Muscle Car Phalanx capable of destroying most anything that gets in the way. Yes I know the Camaro is a relatively large and heavy car for this assignment, but if it were the size of a Vette it wouldn't be a challenge.
Pete,
First I must say this sounds like something under development??? Too cool!
Second I'm impressed with the stats from your Camaro!
Third I'm originally from Chicago!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #1113
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Chicago Chicago that todlin' town
Chicago Chicago I'll show you around

;-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #1114
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
I didn't mean to come across like that, if I did I apologize for that. It's all good
We are in Z land here, it's always all good !

Quote:
Pete, this Chicago Croation LOVES this...MAKE IT SO!

Where do I sign?
...that's the $50,000 question...where's the dotted line...
Quote:
Call 1-800-SUPERZEE...operators are standing by...

Or better yet, pm Pete...he could actually make that one happen NOW!

Gotta Black AMEX? Have that handy...
...and if we call within the next ten minutes Lowdown, tell us what we also get.....
Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #1115
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
I can help you with that
and I can vouch for this...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #1116
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and if we call within the next ten minutes Lowdown, tell us what we also get.....
A lovely parting gift, if your AMEX comes up snake-eyes...

Operators ARE standing by...

X................ marks the spot...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1117
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Hey Number 3 we miss your insight!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #1118
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Allow me to remind everyone, the Pedders Camaro and Mustang already run faster than a Z06. They out run a CTS-V race car running slicks compared to the Pedders street cars on street tires. We have the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro all pulling sustained 1.3 G turns with peaks into the 1.4 range.

With the vehicles we have tested I can say with confidence that the Mustang and Camaro are so close on road course it is hard to pick a winner, to pick a best vehicle. At the risk of repeating myself, the Mustang is a great track car. On the edge, it doesn't talk to you. On the edge the Mustang screams at you. On the edge, the IRS in the Camaro whispers gently in your ear. Both are fast. Both are different. The weight savings helps and hurts the Mustang. The three link rear suspension feels wobbly. It goes, but is not secure. The Camaro IRS weight hurts and helps. It inspires confidence. A good driver will be very fast in a 5th Gen.
A guy with real experience...and minimal bias is priceless.

Quote:

My DREAM Z/28 has everything the first Pedders Supercar had, but more across the board. No more fly swatter. My Z/28 would be a Muscle Car Phalanx capable of destroying most anything that gets in the way. Yes I know the Camaro is a relatively large and heavy car for this assignment, but if it were the size of a Vette it wouldn't be a challenge.
I'd LOVE to drool over such a beast....but there's no way I'd ever be able to afford (or use) something like that! Call it.......I dunno.....the P28 or something...but not Z28....imvhaso (in my very humble and scared opinion)

Old 09-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #1119
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
A lovely parting gift, if your AMEX comes up snake-eyes...

Operators ARE standing by...

X................ marks the spot...
LOL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Hey Number 3 we miss your insight!
Indeed. There's no substitute to that corporate feedback (albeit personal opinion but of course ) to our thoughts and ideas...I for one certainly miss that, it was inside and close,...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1120
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham

I dunno how corporate Number 3 ever is in his opinions and feedback....though - as far as authors of circle-talk and devil's advocacy, I don't think I've ever met someone better.

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro