Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
dont know if you want to add this attachment to your original post
Attached Files
File Type: doc LSA spec sheet.doc (48.0 KB, 507 views)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
IMHO, not sure a Z28 ever has or ever will compete with the Vette, it is a different market segment. Same reason the CTS-V doesn't compete with the Corvette with same HP +/- and price point. Consider the weight & handling differences of all three cars, HP is great but it isn't the final word. The price of said "Z28" will most likely compete with its Mustang rival the Shelby GT500 bringing it in just under or around the Vette Coupe. When you look at what is available off the shelf for GM, the LSA is the most logical choice. The LSA can be had retail for $14,295.95 here http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=249801 The LS3 can be had for around $8,500.00 herehttps://store.gmperformanceparts.com...!--19211709--> At the end of the day this engine upgrade is going to increase the cost on the Camaro at the retail level about $8,000 - 10,000.

Here in Canada a fully dressed 2SS/RS runs around $48,500.00 (before taxes), so if the Z28 comes in around $60,000 it will be in the same ball park price wise as the GT500. The Vette coupe starts at around 80K and Z06 ....103K.
All correct except for the fact that there is a base Vette that start's at $48,000 wich would fall in that category and then the fact that the track time's of them would be close, real close.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
But you're assuming that people are going to cross-shop the Z28 and Corvette. As many people have said in the past, and I was/am one of them, just because two cars have a similar price point or power output, it does not make them competitors.

While there are a lot of people on this and other performance forums who would rather buy a Corvette than a Camaro, if the price point was near the same, there are a lot more that realize that they are two completely different cars built for two different purposes. Personally, I don't think a Z28 version of a Camaro, even at close to the same price and power output, is going to cut into the sales of base Corvettes. And certainly not the Z06.

I did not buy a GT500 because I could not afford a Corvette, nor did I buy it because I thought it offered better performance. I bought it because it was the vehicle that best suited my desires/needs at this point in my life.

Last edited by garagelogic; 09-25-2009 at 04:33 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
But you're assuming that people are going to croos-shop the Z28 and Corvette. As many people have said in the past, and I was/am one of them, just because two cars have a similar price point or power output, it does not make them competitors.

While there are a lot of people on this and other performance forums who would rather buy a Corvette than a Camaro, if the price point was near the same, there are a lot more that realize that they are two completely different cars built for two different purposes. Personally, I don't think a Z28 version of a Camaro, even at close to the same price and power output, is going to cut into the sales of base Corvettes. And certainly not the Z06.

I did not buy a GT500 because I could not afford a Corvette, nor did I buy it because I thought it offered better performance. I bought it because it was the vehicle that best suited my desires/needs at this point in my life.
Great points

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
But you're assuming that people are going to croos-shop the Z28 and Corvette. As many people have said in the past, and I was/am one of them, just because two cars have a similar price point or power output, it does not make them competitors.

Good point.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #20
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
All correct except for the fact that there is a base Vette that start's at $48,000 wich would fall in that category and then the fact that the track time's of them would be close, real close.
Seriously?, 48K, that just pisses me off even more, here are the starting prices in Canada, and 66K for the coupe gets you and engine and tires. Having said that, if the Z28 sold here in Canada for 60-65K then it would be edging in on the Vette.... entry level Vette verses top dog Camaro.

Name:  Vette Prices.jpg
Views: 18064
Size:  92.9 KB

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Someone with more knowledge about this please set me straight, but I thought
Hypereutectic pistons were inferior to forged pistons where higher power out-put
was concerned? That they couldn't handle some of the power add-ons as well as forged pistons could...

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
Seriously?, 48K, that just pisses me off even more, here are the starting prices in Canada, and 66K for the coupe gets you and engine and tires. Having said that, if the Z28 sold here in Canada for 60-65K then it would be edging in on the Vette.... entry level Vette verses top dog Camaro.

Attachment 57985
Ouch! Yep very serious though. I imagine you can go to the US site so here's a link.

http://www.chevrolet.com/
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro509 View Post
Someone with more knowledge about this please set me straight, but I thought
Hypereutectic pistons were inferior to forged pistons where higher power out-put
was concerned? That they couldn't handle some of the power add-ons as well as forged pistons could...
This is correct. But this probably doesn't come into play unless we are talking 700+rwhp.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Yes it is a great engine.

If you don't want to wait GM Performance Parts has a bunch in stock ready to ship.

We will do a blow by blow article on installing one in a Camaro.

Robin

This picture was taken for while mocking up the intercooler top. It will need to be modified to clear the cowl.

what about throwing a different hood on robin? speaking of which... still waiting on that email....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hypereutectics are better now, I believe. They still aren't as good as forged slugs in the LS9, but they're better than the past.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hey - Joe!

You want to take the pics' from the Z28 Sticky and stick in here? There are a bunch that I didn't even post that I left a link for there too. I can do it if you like If you want to, I'll revise my thread and remove them so there's no redundancy.

I read that whole article now, and there's some stuff I don't recall before. Good info' right there.
Of course, can you PM me a link to the images, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
dont know if you want to add this attachment to your original post
Sure will!! I didn't add it originally, because most of that info was in the writeup, but there's some things in there that wasn't mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hypereutectics are better now, I believe. They still aren't as good as forged slugs in the LS9, but they're better than the past.
As far as stock engines go...this thing is freaking Bulletproof. It outlived an LS9 with all it's titanium and forged whatsits by ~170 continuous hours of WOT testing. Personally, I don't ever plan to change the engine...maybe Headers, intake and a MILD tune to bump it to 600hp...and only so I can say "I have 600 hp", .

BUT, if you're into heavy modifications, then of course you have a greater concern. And so, if the LSA has a weakness for these people, it's going to be the pistons. If anybody out there with expertise in the field can comment, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Since Chevy will start building the C7 vette in 2012, I highly doubt it will have a base price of 48k. JMHO.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #28
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Seeing "what might be expected" in the Z28 is making me think twice about ordering the SS. I just wonder what the price tag will end up being after its' all said and done.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote