Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
MyRideIsHere

Drives: 98 z28, 13 LS, 14 SS, 14 ZL1
SS Tire and Wheel questions...

After taking delivery of my new SS I immediately put a set of G-Max AS03's on the stock RS rims. I will keep those on untill hot weather. P-Zeros may get sold, may not, depending on my decision on wheels.

I want black wheels for my summer setup. So I have several options to consider:

1. Do a black powder coat swap for $600 and stick with the stock wheels and tire sizes. Put the P-Zero's on in the summer.

2. Get a set of after market black wheels that fit my stock tires and have two sets of tires and wheels. Still use the P-Zeros.

3. Go with a non-staggered setup. New tires and wheels, sell the P-Zeros.

4. Plasti-Dip my stock wheels...

None of the forum comments i have read so far have convinced me one way or another.

I love my new SS but I prefer black rims, overall...
MyRideIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Plasti dip will be the cheapest option, but the dip starts to come off eventually, but it should last all summer if done well.

I would get a second set of wheels, that way you have 2 full sets.

However, you are driving a 2014, which requires the use of a special tool to reset the TPMS sensors. The tool is not that expensive, but it is necessary for accurate TPMS readings, so you will want to pick up one of them as well
Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
MyRideIsHere

Did know about the sensor... Lot's of info on this forum... Still searching through the old posts and stickies...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Money permitting, get a new set of wheels and use the P-Zeros. You can easily sell the current wheels, like to this guy: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344282
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
MyRideIsHere

With the stock tires would you stick with the stock rear wheel width? It seems it is on the edge of the recommended width range. This may already be in a sticky somewhere that I may have not found yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
If you go with PC - and plan on swapping the tires frequently - go to a specialty shop for the mounting and balancing or PC will get chipped off the outter edge. PC is expensive but looks really great - unless rocks hit it :( Not a fan of plasti-dip because it looks cheap. If I had it to do over -I would have opted for the GM black finish rims - but I do not know how well those will hold up either. If you have the money - go with the black ZL1 rims.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
MyRideIsHere

Thanks Cliffdog... I think that the mounting, dis-mounting downside is probably leading me to two sets of rims... I've got my eye on some Advanti Racing rims but once I start down that road, i start thinking about going non-staggered. Money isn't tight when it comes to my SS. It's my only vice, for the moment...
Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Plastidip is a cheap alternative. I sprayed my rims last summer and they still look exactly the same as the day I did them and I wash my car once a week. My concern would be when you get new tires mounted I'm guessing the tire machine would jack up the dip on the rim but it's an easy fix and then you're good to go again. I am gonna buy black rims in the future but just don't have the cash to do it right at the moment so in the meantime plastidip works for me.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Jay@Vossen

Drives: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRideIsHere View Post
After taking delivery of my new SS I immediately put a set of G-Max AS03's on the stock RS rims. I will keep those on untill hot weather. P-Zeros may get sold, may not, depending on my decision on wheels.

I want black wheels for my summer setup. So I have several options to consider:

1. Do a black powder coat swap for $600 and stick with the stock wheels and tire sizes. Put the P-Zero's on in the summer.

2. Get a set of after market black wheels that fit my stock tires and have two sets of tires and wheels. Still use the P-Zeros.

3. Go with a non-staggered setup. New tires and wheels, sell the P-Zeros.

4. Plasti-Dip my stock wheels...

None of the forum comments i have read so far have convinced me one way or another.

I love my new SS but I prefer black rims, overall...
A set of Matte Graphite or Custom Powder coated black CV1s or CV3s would look amazing

Jay@Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
MyRideIsHere

Thanks to all for the comments.

I'm going to use my stock P-zeros this summer, and my new set of wheels will be 10" and 9" width TSW's...

My General G-Max's are really getting it done in the cold and snow...

This forum is really good with great posts and stickies throughout...