Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I have never been a fan of trucks, but small trucks have always annoyed me. All the worst of a full sized, in a tiny uncomfortable cab. If I were to buy a truck, it would be a full-sized. The small truck market that grew up in the 80's has peaked and is ready to die.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
F100 was cancelled. It was a cool idea, a striped down F150. But the execs then decided to keep beefing it up, to the point where it was almost an F150 again. But in doing so, they eliminated the gains they were trying to make and so they cancelled it. There is a new Ranger that has been seen lately though.

part of the reason they nixed it was because they did a lot of consumer opinion polls and nearly EVERYONE wanted more cargo/towing capacity.

which is the intriguing part of most trucks on the road. with the exception of fleet vehicles, most truck owners will never come close to reaching a trucks max capabilities, but they all want to KNOW they could if the need ever arose.

and I fit into that category as well. I have towed the maximum capability of every truck I've ever owned. sometimes it wasnt bad, other times it was a PITA. I'd love to be able to haul damn near anything if I ever wanted to. hell, if I could afford it, I'd drop one of these bad boys into every truck I owned.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...l-duramax.html

900 ft-lbs at idle...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #17
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Isn't GM planning on a Lamba based SUT to compete with the ridgeline? That seems more appealing than a small truck. Plus there could be an el camino too. It seems like their market share is gone.
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #18
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Bring back the S-10!

screw that, bring back the GMC Syclone

Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #19
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
^ +1
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@showstopper View Post
Isn't GM planning on a Lamba based SUT to compete with the ridgeline? That seems more appealing than a small truck. Plus there could be an el camino too. It seems like their market share is gone.
The Lambda-based SUT is dead.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
It's not that there isn't a market for small trucks anymore, Tacoma's and even Ranger's seem to still be selling great around where I am. It's the fact that the Colorado/Canyon's don't even come close to comparing against the competition. Sure they drive well enough, but so did the previous generation Malibu's, look how they stacked up (or didn't) against the competition.

If GM gave them the same treatment they gave the Silverado it would be a hit. Sadly I think they have bigger priorities right now.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
yup
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
RaspyRon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS SIM
I bought a new 06 Colorado Crew Cab 4wd with the Z71 pkg. I thought it was a nice truck for what it was intended for and would have kept it, but traded it in 6 months after I bought it on a new 06 Silverado 1500. I think it might have had something to do with that I had traded in my 03 Silverado 2500HD with an 8.3L for the Colorado. LOL.
RaspyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Buddy has a canyon with the 5.3. That truck moves pretty good. It works for what he needs it to, pulls sleds and a small fishing boat with it. The cab is kinda small, but it has 4 full doors and can get 4 guys in it.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
WEH
Camaro Dusk Please...

Drives: 1998 Saturn SL2
This wound up being my first post after lurking for awhile.

The small sized pickup truck is a dying breed. There's still a market for it, but it's less than it was a decade ago as the full sized trucks catch up to them in economy, while greatly surpassing them in overall capability.

I'll be in the market for a pickup truck in the next few years (along with a Camaro, of course) and have basically ruled out the smaller variants because of this in my research. The Silverado/Sierra/F-150 end up being not much more expensive than their smaller cousins, while nearly matching fuel economy and greatly surpassing them in capability. A lot of people who would have been in the market for a small pickup truck 10 or 15 years ago are now likely gravitating to crossovers that offer greater economy while costing less.

Someone mentioned introducing a Lamda based SUT to compete with the Honda Ridgeline and I think that would be a good idea. While I'll surely be getting a secondhand truck so that more money can go to the Camaro budget, something like that would make me take notice. I'd be using the truck for fixing up an old house, trips to Lowes/HD, occasional camping and fairly regular driving. While I'd probably do some trailering, I would sacrifice some capacity for cost if it offered similar cab space for a bit less.
WEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i see honda cutting the ridgeline... i drive a 07 everyday and while its a good truck, i think itll cost too much to update it to the standards i want..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
htrb2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
put a new colorado body on the eqiunox frame, add a turbo to boost power a bit and I'd buy it
htrb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrb2010 View Post
put a new colorado body on the eqiunox frame, add a turbo to boost power a bit and I'd buy it
Not sure many would like a fwd pickup. And the equinox doesn't have a frame per se ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote