Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: What type of FI would you choose?
Turbocharger (single or twins) post your choice in post 29 23.58%
Centrifugal Supercharger 27 21.95%
Positive Displacement Supercharger (roots or TS) post your choice in post 67 54.47%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
POLL: What type of FI would you choose?

This is very simple. I'm not asking your helping in making me choose what form of FI "I" should go with as I know already the direction I would take the car and why, however, I wanted to gauge and see what most folks favor here and more importantly, WHY.

Please, if you want to participate, select you option and answer the post as followed:

Type:

Reasons:

Second choice:

Reasons:

Not to difficult, right?!

The reason why I'm posting this poll is because I have read tons of posts of people explaining why they want to go a certain route and why not another. Hopefully, I (we) would like to maybe dispell some prejudice and maybe help those on the fence choose an option based on more on facts and not on solely on personal taste. What works over what you think would work without knowing all the pros/cons.

So, here we go!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm choosing the PDs because at least one of them are already on the street and proving itself, while at least three others are in the works and will be on the streets ripping it up too. I prefer the looks of a PD over the others. I like the power/torque curves. I like how "simple" they are in the way they sit on the engine as opposed to adding more brackets and such to get them to work; just seems a little cleaner to my eye. I like the sound they make.

Silly reasons, but one of the centrifugals have always sounded like it was going to explode to me (though I've never read of one doing such). I guess they are just a bit more traditional, if you will. I know that the potential of at least a few of the centrifugals and especially the turbos' have power potential I'll never get close to, but the simplicity in the plumbing and maintenance is also a plus for me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
obzidian

Interesting....

good post. Where I can see your point in choosing the PDS, it is probably the simplest to install, they require, however, some plumbing and brackets for the pumps and cooling lines/hoses for the exchanger. I do, however, love the sound of a PDS going nuts!

Traditional, no doubt... but in the sense that old school racing with a v-8 usually had a sick weiand charger on top, right?!

Did you know that turbo's have been around since the turn of the century? (1900's)
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
Interesting....

good post. Where I can see your point in choosing the PDS, it is probably the simplest to install, they require, however, some plumbing and brackets for the pumps and cooling lines/hoses for the exchanger. I do, however, love the sound of a PDS going nuts!

Traditional, no doubt... but in the sense that old school racing with a v-8 usually had a sick weiand charger on top, right?!

Did you know that turbo's have been around since the turn of the century? (1900's)
Yeah; with all the heat exchanger lines, pump, electronics, etc., it's easy to overlook some of that stuff. With water cooled heat units coming soon, there's going to be a bigger mess under the hood, lol.

Exactly - when I think power and muscle, I think exactly what you just posted. I DO recognize that's not the only way to make great, repeatable, and reliable power though

You've reminded me of the turbos' though. I think they've been around more than most give them credit for. They sure make crazy power though!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
obzidian

Right. It would seem that those who think of a camaro running a FI setup, they asume it's a supercharger. And vice versa, turbo's are for imports.

But the real facts show that potentially, the real reason turbo's weren't really used in street v-8 applications (besides the tuners who wanted to make some real power) is because of the packaging involved and simply put, turbo technology wasn't truly there and as inexpensive as it is now. That is why it is easier/less expensive to install a turbo on a 4cyl. application because of the amount of materials used is just for 4 cyl. AND the cost of one small turbo wasn't going to kill your budget if you needed a larger turbo (v-8 = more displacement NEEDS a larger turbo) and the added cost of the plumbing hardware and such.

I feel, with the usage of flipped stock LSx manifolds as the bases of a turbo setup and home built crossover plumbing really opened the door for turbo technology and the ls1 market. Of course, one cannot take away from the numerous shops that went out on the limb and produced turbo kits for the LSx crowd. Y2k hawk and mecham, IMO, really put things into perspective, in my case. Cheaper, well built turbo's and plumbing/hardware costs that are only getting better and better for the consumer is one reason I believe it has changed in the way it has.

... And lets not forget about the centrifugal. I feel, though somethings gets left behind. But, the the centi's are well known to make some stupid power now AND, the best thing about them.... is that no other FI setup can potentially mimic how smooth and linear the centi's put the power down. That means, you don't have to deal with a a crazy amount of torque down low that will over power your tires or a sudden surge of power from when a turbo spools (this can be remedied easier than a PDS though)... so a smoother power delivery will not shock the drivertrain so suddenly and help with traction and overall smoothness of the application.

Anyways, lets keep them coming ya'll!!

But, one
Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I chose this one...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
I chose this one!
Attached Images

2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Positive Displacement for me....I have always wanted a supercharged car!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Procharger!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Twin Turbos for me.....I have trashed my dyno sheet, the proof is at the track....I daily drive my car in traffic, rain, sun, etc and drive to the track all the time and make decent runs and drive back.

FI is good anyways, either go the s/c route or turbo route.....I just feel that all my car has is the twin turbos, corsa, tune and that's it, nothing else (cam, headers, cai, etc), so it's simple.
Attached Images

Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
2010ssraper
2010camaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
Twin Turbos for me.....I have trashed my dyno sheet, the proof is at the track....I daily drive my car in traffic, rain, sun, etc and drive to the track all the time and make decent runs and drive back.

FI is good anyways, either go the s/c route or turbo route.....I just feel that all my car has is the twin turbos, corsa, tune and that's it, nothing else (cam, headers, cai, etc), so it's simple.
What turbo setup do you have?? Sounds nice and simple!
What times do you run at the track?
It continues to amaze me. Ford guys think their shit is so great. Why then do you need DOHC and 4 valves per cyl. plus forced air to beat a production pushrod engine with 2 valves per cyl. Face it, when it comes down to it Ford just can't compete. New slogan for the Mustang. "You can't fix stupid"!
2010ssraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT
I choose this.......
Attached Images

Mike@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@KB View Post
I choose this.......
QUIT HOLDING OUT!!! At least sharing some more pics'!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
obzidian

All great choices (PDS seems to be the common on)

But If you would, I would like to know WHY, simply put, you chose that type of FI. Mike@KB, you don't count!! You work for Kenne Bell and might be a slightly jaded!

Is it because you like the sound of the system? the simplicity? Or is it more what I believe is the reason behind some folks make their decision.... in essence, because a PDS supercharger is just more american musclecar when compared to a turbo or a belt-driven turbo (I.E. centrifugal) is the reason why the PDS is more appealing in a camaro.

I think I would like to discuss that further as this type of thinking isn't going to balance YOUR car the way you want it to. If you simply picked a FI system solely on the prejudices then you are not may, in fact, end up with a system without enough headroom, not perform as well as you want it or how you thought it was going to perform.

It would seem that most view a turbo system as a CUSTOM, one off.... I.E EXPENSIVE & COMPLICATED system. It does have more parts but no-a-days, a turbo kit, from any of the vendors on here, I know the ones I would go with and which one to stay away from, IS just as simple in operation, can be installed just as straight forward and are not as bulky as some folks make them to be.

Same thing goes for a centrifugal. It is not just the other white meat.... or the other supercharger. They are ALSO extremely easy (as easy as installing a Maggie or KB/Whipple) as any other form of FI and the power is definitely there.

Considering power productivity and the amount of headroom one would have available when they want to grow with their FI (produce more power as you get used to your current level of power), it would seem that they stack up like this:

1. Turbo's
2. Centi's.
3. PDS.

Allow me to explain. I feel that a turbo, let say a T76 @ 9 psi, making the same kind of power as a PDS (560rwhp SAE) is no where near being tapped out. That T76, or even a smaller turbo, can produce psi levels of 25psi+ easily.. . look at where some of the import guys are making their power. 25psi range+ Hell, 30psi+ can be achieved. So, JUST considering the turbocharger itself, a single turbocharger (said T76 T4) can make GOBs more of power/trq. over a PDS and have less parasitic loss. Now, in retrospect, a 3.4L whipple can make as much as 800rwhp+ on a 5.4L DOHC GT500 motor, but the same you would have to look into fitting issues for the larger blower, cooling modifications, etc... a larger turbo that can now make let say 1000rwhp will require just the same amount of modifications.

Now, I put the centi over the PDS because I see a headunit swap over changing the PDS supercharger to be a lot easier and given the technology/cost of the newer headunits, sick power levels are plenty achievable. A YSI can makes GOBs and GOBs of power but a headunit swap might be more involved then a turbo swap, IMO, though a turbo would probably require some rework to some plumbing.

So, keep it coming ya'll!!