Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What to do?
Upgrade to a C6 Z06, forget them back seats! 8 17.78%
Trade in for a ZL1 37 82.22%
Hold on to the C5 and get a DD (unlikely lol) 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
11B250

Drives: Corvette Z06
Time to trade to a ZL1 from a C5 Z06 for me?

Hey everyone,

New here, but been very active on forums since early 2000s on various names

I got a very nice '03 Z06 about 3 years ago and fulfilled my dream of owning a corvette finally. Before that I had a Trans AM, Camaro V6 and few other non GM cars.

well.... It's that time the wife is talking about a baby (or two) finally. it's also that time I'm itching to upgrade to a C6 Z06 ('03 is getting a little aged for me)... Few arguments have started with the issue of not having back seats in these corvettes that she's pretty much requiring me to have. She recommended the Camaro, and I told her there is no way in hell that I would downgrade to a (even) brand new camaro and give up my Z06.

I then started thinking about the ZL1 and figured that's at least top of the line Camaro and fits around a GS C6 category, and can be put near stock Z06 category (at least straight line) if I do all the possible bolt ons (such as the local redline motorsports' stage 2 kit). Plus, I will use this car as my daily, and the ZL1 is much more friendly for daily driving than a Z06. (I love my Z06, but it's not fun for daily driving). I assume the ZL1 will perform like my C5 Z06 with bolt ons

So I have some scenarios running through my head -
  • Keep C5 Z06 (90K miles and steady) and get a DD
  • Keep figthing with wife (bad idea!) and get '07-'10 C6 Z06
  • Sell the C5 (about $17k) and get a '13 ZL1

FWIW, I'd like to spend no more than about $47K for the ZL1 or the Z06. Whatever I get will stay with me for the next 6-8 years, because the babies will also cost $$$ and I can't change cars like I change underwear now... lol. (This puts a ZL1 at advantage because those backseats will come in handy and the car will be newer) the 6th gen coming out in '16 does upset me a little because ZL1 will be 'last gen' in just a couple years.

she also keeps suggesting auto, and I want a manual. I have heard the auto in this car is great however and did consider it, but i'm a stick guy for sports cars.

What are your opinions on this matter? Now remember, I'm not telling anyone to tell me what to do, i'm only looking for some suggestions and opinions because my wife is sick and tired of hearing them LOL...

and for good measures, here is the Z06. (who doesn't like pics?)

11B250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
11B250

oh and if anyone is curious on the differences (and in the area of Palm Beach), shoot me a PM, I'd love to get with you and check out the car and do a passenger test drive! I'll galadly give you a ride in the C5 if you have any interest!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
how bout this? keep the vette and get a ctsv wagon. they are pretty damn quick for a family car with a few tweaks. the wife cant say squat then, room for you, her, 2 kids and the family dog
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
how bout this? keep the vette and get a ctsv wagon. they are pretty damn quick for a family car with a few tweaks. the wife cant say squat then, room for you, her, 2 kids and the family dog
OMG no station wagons.

I did take a peek at the cts-v and considered it.... but I'm just a 2 doors kinda guy.

Perhaps I do a little bit of reading on the CTS-V again. but I'm pretty sure ZL1 will win my heart much qicker.

if anything maybe I can convince her to trade the '11 Maxima we have for one. still a 4 door car

then I can have a ZL1 and a CTS-V!

Good thought though, so thanks for that!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Maybe since she is willing to have 2 kids, talk her into 3 and sell one and keep all your cars?
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think the ZL1 will be more than a match for your C5 Z06, but a C6 Z06 is a different story.

I'm in the same boat you are, except I already have a kid (22 months). My wife is not comfortable driving, and has no sense of direction. SO if my family is going to be part of my car culture, a car with a back seat is a must. For affordability, and performance the ZL1 fits the bill. The Ford Shelby GT500 is an option. But bottomline the ZL1's chassis is a generation ahead of the GT500. (GT500 has trouble handling the power).
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
Maybe since she is willing to have 2 kids, talk her into 3 and sell one and keep all your cars?
+1
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
You are on the Camaro forum so you can expect some bias but the ZL1 is a better car than your gen 5 vette buy a comfortable margin. If you need a back seat the vette is out, I think the ZL1 may surprise you especially if you put just a few mods on it...the power coming out of a supercharged V8 is amazing.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
11B250

Thanks for the replies guys! Test drove one today and brought the wife along. Its a sweet car. Felt more refined compared to my c5 ( no shit... 11 YO car) very very quiet on the highway which surprised me. I realized I didn't have to raise my voice to speak with her . I opened her up and honestly my c5 felt stronger, but I did have 2 extra people in the car so... At the end of the ride, my wife loved it and it looks like we'll be going this route. I'm not sure if I call it a downgrade or an upgrade, but it seems like the logical direction for me. Very sad I'd be leaving the corvette community and the car, but I don't think the wife will be happy if I put a baby in the trunk Lol.

She was interested in the SS that we saw, but after taking the drive in the ZL1 she said she can now see why I'd prefer the ZL1 Lol (her opinion matters here... I need her blessings. Happy wife, happy life)

This was the one I test drove. Had the Recaro seats which are very nice. Unfortunately its 62k which is out of my budget. But I don't think '13 with few thousand miles will make much of a difference

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
You are on the Camaro forum so you can expect some bias but the ZL1 is a better car than your gen 5 vette buy a comfortable margin. If you need a back seat the vette is out, I think the ZL1 may surprise you especially if you put just a few mods on it...the power coming out of a supercharged V8 is amazing.
Kind of wanted that biased opinion. Made a similar thread on vette forums... Got only one response lol

Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
She won't do it. I already asked

Old 12-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I think the ZL1 will be more than a match for your C5 Z06, but a C6 Z06 is a different story.

I'm in the same boat you are, except I already have a kid (22 months). My wife is not comfortable driving, and has no sense of direction. SO if my family is going to be part of my car culture, a car with a back seat is a must. For affordability, and performance the ZL1 fits the bill. The Ford Shelby GT500 is an option. But bottomline the ZL1's chassis is a generation ahead of the GT500. (GT500 has trouble handling the power).
I didn't even look at a mustang. I'm not a ford guy. I tend to pick sides. Even if the mustang offered more.

Perhaps I've been a little selfish wanting to keep a 2 seater. Just can't have 3 cars, so I guess I have to make some life choices.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Personally I never liked the C5, I think that the C6 is a more perfected Corvette, and specially the new Stingray.
Probably I'm in your same situation, before I almost got a beautiful C6 Corvette with the Z51 package, but I have two kids, so that was out of the question, I had to settle for a similar performance car at that time that was a Porsche 911 Carrera. Big mistake, even that the car handled great, it was VERY EXPENSIVE to maintain, and with many maintenance issues.
Now I'm driving a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the Brembo package and standard transmission, is a ball to drive it, but for work reasons I had to take my wife SUV, and she hates driving my car with a clutch. I have read about the Camaro ZL1, auto owners of this car are also satisfied, so I guess that this will our next car. The 1LE that I test drive is also an excellent choice, but only comes with the stick.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
DrDJ

Drives: 2013 ZL1 White A6
I bought my ZL1 used with 3k miles for for 52k. Is auto with navigation and alloy rims. I expect u could get similar deal out there or maybe better. Not a ton of these floating around used but there are a few. And though I always preferred stick myself also...I really do enjoy the auto with paddle shifters. Its not quite the same as stick of course but u can still have a lot of fun with the car. And for a daily driver its really nice to drive with the auto. My wife likes to drive it too and back seat was a must for us. If u can the right one u wont b disappointed. Good luck
DrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote