Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
James4086

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #16
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James4086 View Post
Thanks everybody, but here's a silly question... What does that alphanumeric code mean (4L80, or 4L80E). I noticed Y'all all said the same code, but how does it work (for personal knowledge).
4L80e
4 = 4 forward gears
L = longitudinally mounted
80 = GM code for torque capacity
e = electronically controlled
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
James4086

UPDATE: I have the transmission, and most of the stuff to make it work, except for... something that has to do with the speedometer.

I'll try to explain as best as I can what exactly it is that I need to find.

Apparently, there is some kind of control module inside the 6-speed stock transmission that transmits through a data line and data network after getting information about speed, transmission range and some other things that I don't remember off hand, and I need a new one that fits inside the 4L80e.

I think the gist of it is that I may need a new way for the car to determine its speed and display it through the speedometer. The mechanic mentioned something called a "square-way" signal?

Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know what exactly it is that I should say that I'm looking for so that I can find and purchase it.

If anyone knows of an alternate device to make the speedometer work that is compatible with the 2010 Camaro that would be helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
hunt

Drives: 10 SS 08 675 13 Stryker 10 S1000RR
Quote:
UPDATE: I have the transmission, and most of the stuff to make it work, except for... something that has to do with the speedometer.

I'll try to explain as best as I can what exactly it is that I need to find.

Apparently, there is some kind of control module inside the 6-speed stock transmission that transmits through a data line and data network after getting information about speed, transmission range and some other things that I don't remember off hand, and I need a new one that fits inside the 4L80e.

I think the gist of it is that I may need a new way for the car to determine its speed and display it through the speedometer. The mechanic mentioned something called a "square-way" signal?

Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know what exactly it is that I should say that I'm looking for so that I can find and purchase it.

If anyone knows of an alternate device to make the speedometer work that is compatible with the 2010 Camaro that would be helpful.
Sounds like he is probably talking about the controller module in your transmission, and it's a square wave signal for communication, not 'way'. GL with it! I'd talk with whoever is tuning your car and whoever you buy the module from cause setting them up isn't easy.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
James4086

thanks hunt,
I posted on a couple of spots, but this is the thread that I started...

And the guy who's footsteps I'm following, they keep suspending his account!

IDK if he is breaking the rules or if they just have a vendetta against him, but either way, I wish it would stop happening, I can't send him any messages anymore.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
He is also on ls1tech and yellowbullet.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
acowherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
He is also on ls1tech and yellowbullet.
You should be able to message him there!!

FNSS Racing!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
James4086

ok, now what he is saying (and I think I understand a little better) is that he just needs to re-program my car's computer (which thinks there's a 6-speed auto in it) to understand that it is now a "manual" transmission and stop looking for the moduel that is in the auto trans.

After that, the control module that came with the 4-speed auto can do its job just fine because the car won't be looking for something that isn't there anymore.

Besides, I told them that they would have to do that from day 1, but at the time it was just so that the computer wouldn't try to shift into a non-existant 5th and 6th gear then go haywire when it couldn't find them. Now we know it has to do with the speedometer as well.

Oh, and here's a heart-attack for those of you who have worked on older cars that didn't have all this computer sh- 'er junk in it... To figure out the proper signal that a manual transmission uses, in order to put it into my computer, he is going to put a manual trans camaro in the air. Then (and this is the kicker) use an oscilloscope to find the signal!! Did those things even exist back in the day?! I wish I knew what it was like to work on the cars we now call classics. Actually, I wish it were still as easy to work on modern cars as it was back then.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
James4086

Wow, almost a month since my last post, and the situation hasn't changed much...

Basically, I'm hoping someone will stumble across this thread and have an answer.

Can anyone put me in contact with someone who can program a BCM with my car's VIN number, but also tell it to think it is a manual transmission?

The origional setting was an A6 transmission, but in order to make the 4L80-e work, we needed to make it think that a manual trans. is installed. They tried swapping the VIN in the computer with a manual camaro's vin, but that set off some security codes, and could lead to problems when I get it inspected. (dash plate sees one number, computer plugin sees another)

If I can get the BCM, can someone put my VIN in it and get it to think that it is a manual?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Wow, almost a month since my last post, and the situation hasn't changed much...

Basically, I'm hoping someone will stumble across this thread and have an answer.

Can anyone put me in contact with someone who can program a BCM with my car's VIN number, but also tell it to think it is a manual transmission?

The origional setting was an A6 transmission, but in order to make the 4L80-e work, we needed to make it think that a manual trans. is installed. They tried swapping the VIN in the computer with a manual camaro's vin, but that set off some security codes, and could lead to problems when I get it inspected. (dash plate sees one number, computer plugin sees another)

If I can get the BCM, can someone put my VIN in it and get it to think that it is a manual?
Not sure why this is such a big deal. A friend of mine had his 4L80 installed in his vehicle and his speedo worked just fine.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
James4086

did he start with a manual transmission?

Apparently, the auto's use something inside the trans. so when you swap it out, it looks for a module that it can't find. Whereas the manuals use something else.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
acowherd

Why can't you upload an ls3 tune? No reason to switch vins! Just get a base stock ls3 tune and write it over your l99 tune. Then it will no longer look for the auto. Still have to turn off clutch interlock and clear out some codes, but it should work.

FNSS Racing!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Hopefully I'm overreacting, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best.

When I swapped my engine to the LSX 454, an aftermarket company mentioned getting a fully aftermarket engine. Unfortunately, I didn't get the message until it was too late... not that I'm in any way disappointed with the LSX, but I had not even considered the option until it was too late.

So, now I'd like to get the word out so that the Transmission companies can catch me while I'm about to possibly be in the market.

My transmission started acting a little persnickety, hopefully I just need a program or something, but just in case, I'd like to know where I can get one so that I'll be ready to have it shipped.

I'm looking for something that can handle at least 700 horsepower. I'm making 502 hp at the rear wheel, so I think that puts me somewhere in the area of 600 at the flywheel. (I'm over-estimating, hopefully, on purpose) Therefore, I want to get a transmission that can handle 700 just to be sure I don't need to do this again.

My car is a daily driver and it is currently an automatic... I'm looking to keep it that way with an automatic replacement. The engine swap included a custom torque converter, if that makes a difference, let me know and I'll try and get whatever info you need about it. Finally, since I've swapped the engine and now I'm looking at a Trans., if there's any suggestions regarding a rear-end (gearing etc.) I'm open to suggestions.
Talk to NVincent2408. He did the LSX swap.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #28
James4086

OK, to anyone who has been following my build, or is interested in doing this for themselves:

My Camaro was automatic and the computer set-ups were incompatible with the 4l80-e swap... Basically, you need to swap the computer's VIN number (which will present problems in the event of a wreck or inspection when they scan the plate and find that it doesn't match the program), tear out the @&Y^ useless &@*#& pieces of #^*@ computers that are unnecessary for the car to run (which will make you non-street-legal), or you just need to start with a manual Camaro to make this work.

That being said, I ended up with another stock transmission (which will probably break in 4-6 months, but that's ok because it is back under warranty and they will have to fix it for free... again and again and again until I swap to a new model). So I have a Jakes Performance 4L80-e transmission with absolutely no miles on it, and the driveshaft, and probably most of what you need to install it, up for sale.

PM me with contact info, I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

The transmission is "rated and warranteed for up to 750 horsepower"... I don't know if the warrantee will carry over... probably not... but I don't know.

I live in Louisiana, so if you are out-of-state and interested in buying, we will work something out in terms of shipping or pick up. (I'd prefer if it were picked up.)

The torque converter is set-up for drivability, and the driveshaft (from the driveshaftshop.com) is still in the box and has not been opened.

I'll add any info from questions that I get as they are brought to my attention.