Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Black Car, need help but look at that reflection!

Good afternoon and Happy Holidays C5 family! So since I’ve been off for Christmas break, I decided to give Caroline some much needed and much deserved attention. Before it started getting cold, I noticed some white specks all over my BLACK car. Since I watch The Junkman’s videos, I knew I needed to clay bar my car. I messaged the Junkman, and he told me the white specks sounded like I was using cheap wax… problem is I have never waxed before. So what else do y’all think it could be?
Based on what I have read in other threads, lots of people here suggested the mothers clay bar, so I headed on down to AutoZone. After I clayed for about 2 and a half hours the car still has white specks all over it, but it is better. Before the car felt like sandpaper, now it feels like dirty glass (which is an improvement to me). Just for reference I used the mother California Gold clay bar and both show time and Meguiar’s detail sprays.
But hold up! This thread isn’t just to ask questions, I also wanted to show off my progress a bit. After claying the car I applied a thin layer of Meguiar’s NXT gen Tech wax 2.0 to part of the hood. WOW! It looks TONS better, and I didn’t even think my car looked bad to begin with. Hopefully somebody here can give me tips on removing ALL of the white specks.
Thanks!
Attached Images

My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Very nice!
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Looks good. You'll probably have to polish to get all/most of the imperfections out.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
The second picture looks awesome!

In my experience, the only time I had white specs like that was when my work decided to spray paint some poles out in the open with nothing to cover up the stray paint particles floating in the air. Do you know if any of your neighbors have painted recently? Better question, can you feel those white specs if you do the baggy test?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post

In my experience, the only time I had white specs like that was when my work decided to spray paint some poles out in the open with nothing to cover up the stray paint particles floating in the air. Do you know if any of your neighbors have painted recently? Better question, can you feel those white specs if you do the baggy test?
I agree. Definitely looks like overspray to me. Clay should take it out. It might take a few times to get it done. Of course, you can also machine polish it.

Remember after claying or polishing, you need to re-apply your wax or sealant.

I really don't see wax doing that. Especially if it didn't come off with claying. Which wax were you using before?

I see you're in TX. If you're near Dallas and have any problems, I'd be happy to show you how to take care of it. I've got a polisher and anything else we might need.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
If your Car is stored outside,it could be almost anything.Especially if you live in an urban (city)area.Someone could be spraying paint blocks away and it could come down on your black car.I would invest in a car cover after you spend all those hours getting the paint back to normal.
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
If your Car is stored outside,it could be almost anything.Especially if you live in an urban (city)area.Someone could be spraying paint blocks away and it could come down on your black car.I would invest in a car cover after you spend all those hours getting the paint back to normal.
Except car covers cause more damage than they prevent. Only use a cover if you're storing the car for a long period of time, and only on a completely spotless car.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Just like mine! Need to do paint correction (polish etc...) to get rid of the swirls. I'm eventually going to get mine repainted, so I just try to keep them at a minimum until then.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
My Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post

Do you know if any of your neighbors have painted recently? Better question, can you feel those white specs if you do the baggy test?
Thank you! I appreciate it but I'm not done yet!

That first question is hard to answer. My car stays in the garage and my neighborhood is small and new. There was a new home built up the street recently so that may be it?

An yes! My car failed the baggy test miserably! It didn't even feel like sand paper it just felt like hard water (which it's not). I should mention that I can catch the specks with a finger nail and they come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Which wax were you using before?

I see you're in TX. If you're near Dallas and have any problems, I'd be happy to show you how to take care of it. I've got a polisher and anything else we might need.
The clay did seem to help a lot, but when the progress seemed to slow down I thought I was doing something wrong. I got 2 80 gram bars and cut one in half incase I dropped it. I will try again with a new piece.

And finally I am just north of Dallas! Help would be awesome. I caught the detailing bug recently (aside from the regular wash before) so I'm a bit new to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
If your Car is stored outside,it could be almost anything.
Car is stored in a nice warm garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Just like mine!
Though I'm not glad you're having the same problem, I am glad that I'm not alone here.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
My Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Looks good. You'll probably have to polish to get all/most of the imperfections out.
Thank you! It's definitely a work in progress. I still need to learn how to polish but I'm always up for a new skill!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Jenny_8

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Hello, I have a question for anyone willing to share. My Camaro is about 5 months old and I wanted to wax it. It is black any suggestions for what product would be the best? thanks!
Jenny_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_8 View Post
Hello, I have a question for anyone willing to share. My Camaro is about 5 months old and I wanted to wax it. It is black any suggestions for what product would be the best? thanks!
Depends: if you are buying OTC stuff, try Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0. If you want to go with a professional line of products, there are many company's out there for waxes. Adam's Polishes, Zaino, etc.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caroline View Post

That first question is hard to answer. My car stays in the garage and my neighborhood is small and new. There was a new home built up the street recently so that may be it?

An yes! My car failed the baggy test miserably! It didn't even feel like sand paper it just felt like hard water (which it's not). I should mention that I can catch the specks with a finger nail and they come off.

The clay did seem to help a lot, but when the progress seemed to slow down I thought I was doing something wrong. I got 2 80 gram bars and cut one in half incase I dropped it. I will try again with a new piece.

And finally I am just north of Dallas! Help would be awesome. I caught the detailing bug recently (aside from the regular wash before) so I'm a bit new to this.

Car is stored in a nice warm garage.

Though I'm not glad you're having the same problem, I am glad that I'm not alone here.
Just send me a pm if you need anything.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caroline View Post

An yes! My car failed the baggy test miserably! It didn't even feel like sand paper it just felt like hard water (which it's not). I should mention that I can catch the specks with a finger nail and they come off....
Yep, that's the same thing that happened when I had overspray on my car. I picked off little white specs just as you had mentioned. Sometimes the paint particles get on trees and when a breeze comes by, those particles float in the air and find a nice home on any shiny Camaro's they find. I'm speaking from experience of course.

It's awesome that you have CamaroDreams close to you to lend a helping hand. If I were in TX, that's the person I would trust with polishing and paint questions.