Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
Are these a universal fit? I have been searching all morning for one that is built for the 3.6, with no luck. I'm interested only for the fact that oil contamination could cause detonation, and I run nitrous.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
OK - if the breather has an "intake only" check valve you probably don't want to run that breather setup on a boosted car. Where would the blow-by gas pressure go when the car is under boost? Answer - Out the gaskets and seals, along with the engine oil. It can't go out the can because it has a check valve and the breather does too? Might be better off letting it flow back into the intake under boost?!? At least it would not blow out all over the seals and gaskets.

I know there are 2-way catch cans but some tuners are selling the regular catch can along with the breather. That can't be a good setup. :(

-Mark.
was this is response to what i asked? If so i have the RX can with the dual check valves. and I'm not boosted.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
was this is response to what i asked? If so i have the RX can with the dual check valves. and I'm not boosted.
Sorry - no. I was responding to SC2150.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
jeff4946

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
Are these a universal fit? I have been searching all morning for one that is built for the 3.6, with no luck. I'm interested only for the fact that oil contamination could cause detonation, and I run nitrous.
o, I hate it when I kill a thread
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Where the hell are we finding this catch can for 40 bucks?
the RX breather is $40, not the can
Quote:
o, I hate it when I kill a thread
pm SC2150 and tell him you want a can (and breather if you want) for your v6. there's a special bracket that he'll send you. You can also get it color matched to your factory paint, or matte black, or polished i believe.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The RX breather has a oneway checkvalve so it does not allow vapors to escape into the air and it also controls the amount of fresh make up air to what the OEM line should. Only one were aware of that does.

Orders have been delayed due to checkvalves on back order but just got a batch in so we should be catching up quickly. Appologies to all that are waiting.

Oh, I'm not aware of any $40 can that will do a good job....best to get a good one like the Mike Norris, RX, or Elite. My top choices of the vendor offerings on here.
Patiently waiting for 3 weeks!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #21
jeff4946

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
the RX breather is $40, not the can

pm SC2150 and tell him you want a can (and breather if you want) for your v6. there's a special bracket that he'll send you. You can also get it color matched to your factory paint, or matte black, or polished i believe.
right on!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

oh, and tell him you run nitrous.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #23
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
There are 2 paths of oil ingestion into the intake air charge. The most problem area is the PCV connection that you take care of with a catch can.
The other is the fresh air tube for the crankcase make up air. At WOT when there is little to no vacuum in the intake manifolds the oil vapors back-flow into the intake air bridge and contaminate that way. It is not nearly the amount that the PCV causes, but any oil is bad as it causes detonation and long term engine damage.

The breather eliminates this path completely and also is the only one on the market with an integrated checkvalve that prevents vapors from venting into the engine compartment.
Since we are replacing the 'Fresh Air Tube' with a breather, do we really need that extra hose?

I was reading somewhere on this forum that it may not affect V6's as much as V8's if we were to keep the fresh air hose and include a breather.

Thought I'd ask before I mess something up.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #24
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
Since we are replacing the 'Fresh Air Tube' with a breather, do we really need that extra hose?

I was reading somewhere on this forum that it may not affect V6's as much as V8's if we were to keep the fresh air hose and include a breather.

Thought I'd ask before I mess something up.
Yes, you must remove the 'Fresh Air Tube' if you install a breather. If you add the breather without removing the fresh air hose, you have a path into your intake that bypasses your MAF sensor. (Breather->valve cover->fresh air hose->intake). Since your Engine Control Module doesn't include this air in calculating how much fuel to inject into the cylinder, it will cause your engine to run too lean.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
PoorMansCamaro

ok, might be a dumb question...where is the 'Fresh Air Tube'. any one have a pic?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
ok, might be a dumb question...where is the 'Fresh Air Tube'. any one have a pic?
It's the one connected to your intake tube/duct.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #27
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
The one with the red arrow
Attached Images

Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #28
PoorMansCamaro

Mine's the v6, and i have the injen cai. i'll have to take a look when my breather actually comes in. Thanks for the pic.