Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
derieu
Engineer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Anyone use BMR rear springs only? 1LE

I have an all-stock 1LE 14 camaro, and temporarily want to drop the rear mainly for cosmetic purposes. I also want the car to not do anything fishy on the track, I do plan on racing the car.

My future plans will be redoing almost the entire suspension, but for the time being I plan on just getting the best of what i've got.

The BMR 1" drop rear springs are 460 ft/lbs, a bit stiffer than the OEM rears. Considering that the rear swaybars in these cars need upgrading to get the car to turn-in a bit better, these springs should create the same effect without upgrading the sway bar?

I am not too worried about the spring rates, using the front : rear spring rate ratio, the OEM front + BMR rear seems to fall between some of the competitors, so it does not seem like it will be unbalanced.

Anyone have any input on this before I pull the trigger? Also, will I need rear camber bolts to fix the camber in the rear for a 1" drop?
derieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
You'll need to fix the camber and might not be able to without camber bolts or lower control arms.

More importantly, if you're going to do suspension work do it right. Wait until you can do all the springs/shocks, or both sway bars.

Here is my thread for when I redid the suspension. I don't have a 1LE, but I've got a better suspension now

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457049

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaN- View Post
You'll need to fix the camber and might not be able to without camber bolts or lower control arms.

More importantly, if you're going to do suspension work do it right. Wait until you can do all the springs/shocks, or both sway bars.

Here is my thread for when I redid the suspension. I don't have a 1LE, but I've got a better suspension now

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457049
I don't agree with the above at all for a 1LE.

The 1LE is such a great package from the factory it is hard to improve upon. The "only" reason to lower a 1LE is for looks. My first suggestion is find a set of Pedders rear springs....but those are few and far between at this point. I have often said if I did it again I would use/try BMR 1" in the rear only......That is until I received a long PM from a educated 1LE owner that had problems with the BMR spring in the 1LE as it was designed for the SS and make clanking noises. The issues was never resolved and BMR gave him his money back.

You may have better luck than he did.

My 1LE required rear camber bolts to bring the rear into spec. I would avoid aftermarket lower control arms as they are not needed.

There is a ton of information about the springs and set-up in my build thread in the sig

-Matt
Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I have often said if I did it again I would use/try BMR 1" in the rear only......That is until I received a long PM from a educated 1LE owner that had problems with the BMR spring in the 1LE as it was designed for the SS and make clanking noises. The issues was never resolved and BMR gave him his money back.

-Matt
Matt, that is not correct information!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Matt, that is not correct information!
Fair enough, but that is what one of your customers stated happened in a PM to me..I had/have no skin in the game and was recommending your springs on a 1LE to lower the rear only when he PM'd me.

Did BMR have a fitment issue with some 1LE cars? Was there ever a change to the springs? If so an explanation with details behind the issues may be helpful

Thank you,
Matt
Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I was told the issue had to do more with the 14/15 model years and not the 1LE specifically, but who knows. I think the same person warned me about his experience as well. It was enough to scare me away, right or wrong.

Supposedly BMR did a slight redesign to correct this issue with some of the 14/15's. I heard BMR springs were shorter in length vs other drop springs for the Camaro, and caused them to have possible seating issues. Who knows though as I have also heard plenty of happy BMR customers. I am going to try the Hotchkis springs personally. Fingers crossed...
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Fair enough, but that is what one of your customers stated happened in a PM to me..I had/have no skin in the game and was recommending your springs on a 1LE to lower the rear only when he PM'd me.

Did BMR have a fitment issue with some 1LE cars? Was there ever a change to the springs? If so an explanation with details behind the issues may be helpful

Thank you,
Matt
We did a small redesign to our V-8 Front Springs due to a very small number of customers have a problem with the new for '15 Spring Isolator Pad.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We did a small redesign to our V-8 Front Springs due to a very small number of customers have a problem with the new for '15 Spring Isolator Pad.
When did the change occur?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I have BMR 1" drop springs with 1LE shocks and struts on my 2010 SS and have no noises or problems...except for faster tire wear from faster corner speeds.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
When did the change occur?
Shortly after the '15s came out
Old 07-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Have there ever been complaints of noise or fitment issues from the rear springs on the 1LE? If so what was the root cause if it was not the spring itself?