Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #113
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
the ecoturd will severely disappoint in the real world.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #114
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
To most in this threadAttachment 665320

In all seriousness those kits look expensive. What is up with needing the roll bar? Even the supercharged package won't need it at most tracks. Most tracks interpret the new late model rule as if you have a 2008 and up model and have not messed with any factory safety equipment then your good to go for anything slower than 9.99. Also, I wonder if those suspension parts were even needed since the cars had true slicks. If they were getting wheel hop with slicks then that's not so good. Does anyone know if these cars were a auto or manual? I'm sure a new auto 5.0 with a real tune, LT headers, slicks and skinnies could run that fast with no weight taken out but that's nothing new as the current car can do that. The real question is if this new car is going to be as fast as the current one with bolt ons and how for how much. With the old car if you have a auto all it needed for 11's is a good tune, 15" DR's with skinnies, and off road h-pipe. It didn't need any suspension parts or any of that other crap. The wheels for those cars are super cheap too. If the new car has to use 15" Welds to clear the brakes then your looking at some serious coin for wheels. New 5.0 owners will learn what current SS owners know all too well in regards to things like drag wheel and suspension cost. That why you don't see a lot of really fast bolt on 5th gens. It's cheaper to get some DR's and a cam upgrade than it is to get a full set of Weld wheels and matching tires.

Got to give Ford credit for even having a drag pack kit though. I'm sure this little demonstration was to try and please the minority enthusiast. Basically saying were sorry the new Mustang is not faster than the old one but to show you enthusiast that we have not forgotten you we are offering these upgrades to help in that department.
Great post man!

The 5.0 was a manual, and based on the footage, a GT PP. It needed the large wheels to clear the Performance Pack brakes. This also means it has 3.73's stock. It was also a premium car so it was heavier to begin with.

My guess..with a starting weight of about 3,780 lbs (it had Recaro's stock) subtract the remaining seats to save 75lbs, back seat carpet for 10lbs, rear rims for 20 lbs of savings and the stock exhaust for 30 lbs that comes up with a starting weight of 3,645 lbs.
Now we begin adding weight, 45 lbs for the unnecessary cage, 10lbs for the subframe brace and 5 lbs for the HD half shafts, 2 for the driveshaft loops adds up to 3,707lbs. Add in a very generous 230lbs for a driver and you get to about 3,950 rounded up.
Using the HP from weight and trap speed calculations we get about 435whp, or about 470-480 crank.

Thats with classically conservative FRPP stuff, my guess is before next Christmas we will see more than a few bolt on 500 crank HP Mustangs running about
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #115
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
I would just love to know what is the HP/TQ GT vs GTPP? No body seems to have a answer for this question. I've seen to dyno tests, one appeared to be the GT (Gibson test) and the other was a GTPP by ManaFlow. So what are the flywheel numbers. Is the GT rated at 435 or is the GTPP?
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #116
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
I would just love to know what is the HP/TQ GT vs GTPP? No body seems to have a answer for this question. I've seen to dyno tests, one appeared to be the GT (Gibson test) and the other was a GTPP by ManaFlow. So what are the flywheel numbers. Is the GT rated at 435 or is the GTPP?
They're both rated exactly the same. The performance package makes no engine modifications of any kind. As for the dyno's from those 2 shops, while the discrepancies are there with the baselines, the increases they are both claiming is interesting. Hopefully we'll get some truth out of it as the first mustangs start arriving at dealerships. I'm hoping its the truth and ford left a lot on the table for the average joe who likes to do a few bolt ons. I wouldnt mind a 450+ rwhp mustang with a simple intake/tune/full exhaust.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #117
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
They're both rated exactly the same. The performance package makes no engine modifications of any kind. As for the dyno's from those 2 shops, while the discrepancies are there with the baselines, the increases they are both claiming is interesting. Hopefully we'll get some truth out of it as the first mustangs start arriving at dealerships. I'm hoping its the truth and ford left a lot on the table for the average joe who likes to do a few bolt ons. I wouldnt mind a 450+ rwhp mustang with a simple intake/tune/full exhaust.
I could have sworn that there is a engine tune included with the Performance Package....
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #118
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Great post man!

The 5.0 was a manual, and based on the footage, a GT PP. It needed the large wheels to clear the Performance Pack brakes. This also means it has 3.73's stock. It was also a premium car so it was heavier to begin with.

My guess..with a starting weight of about 3,780 lbs (it had Recaro's stock) subtract the remaining seats to save 75lbs, back seat carpet for 10lbs, rear rims for 20 lbs of savings and the stock exhaust for 30 lbs that comes up with a starting weight of 3,645 lbs.
Now we begin adding weight, 45 lbs for the unnecessary cage, 10lbs for the subframe brace and 5 lbs for the HD half shafts, 2 for the driveshaft loops adds up to 3,707lbs. Add in a very generous 230lbs for a driver and you get to about 3,950 rounded up.
Using the HP from weight and trap speed calculations we get about 435whp, or about 470-480 crank.

Thats with classically conservative FRPP stuff, my guess is before next Christmas we will see more than a few bolt on 500 crank HP Mustangs running about
You forgot about the long tube headers.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #119
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
You forgot about the long tube headers.
I considered that a wash since you add weight with the LT's but then you lose it by deleting the cats.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #120
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
What is up with needing the roll bar?
Most factory mules used for any high speed testing, whether it is drag racing or road courses and ovals, use a roll bar of some sort regardless of it being required. The manufacturer are protecting themselves from being sued should something go wrong.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #121
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
Most factory mules used for any high speed testing, whether it is drag racing or road courses and ovals, use a roll bar of some sort regardless of it being required. The manufacturer are protecting themselves from being sued should something go wrong.
And to be NHRA legal the S/C car would actually have needed to run an 8 point IIRC.

The NA car would have been fine without it, Ford Racing was just covering their butts from a lawsuit in that case.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #122
DivineStrike

Drives: 05 Ranger Fx4, VW GTI, CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post

Agreed, they probably shed the weight to counteract the weight they added.

LowDown, you should really calm down a little when trying express your valid claims. Granted I don't agree with everything you say but pointing out the fact of the double switcharoo with the Ecoboost clip is a very valid point. However the wheels lifting off the ground portion of the clip I think was all just marketing hype and the times posted did not include that particular run. IMO it was more for showmanship and saying "Hey look what the Ecoboost CAN do" vs intentionally trying to deceive anyone. The whole scenario was created just to show off to the naysayers that the new IRS can in fact hold up to fast and hard drag launches.
DivineStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #123
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
Agreed, they probably shed the weight to counteract the weight they added.

LowDown, you should really calm down a little when trying express your valid claims. Granted I don't agree with everything you say but pointing out the fact of the double switcharoo with the Ecoboost clip is a very valid point. However the wheels lifting off the ground portion of the clip I think was all just marketing hype and the times posted did not include that particular run. IMO it was more for showmanship and saying "Hey look what the Ecoboost CAN do" vs intentionally trying to deceive anyone. The whole scenario was created just to show off to the naysayers that the new IRS can in fact hold up to fast and hard drag launches.
Exactly!

In the GT's case they started with an already heavy car (a loaded Premium GTPP) and removed weight to keep it close to what a street car would likely weigh.

Most serious drag racers are not going to start with a option heavy GT PP, they're going to order a base GT auto with Recaros and the 3.55 gear option. In that case they're looking at a 3,730lb car to start. Most of the cat-back's are showing a weight around 30lbs lighter than stock. So..most racers don't run with a full fuel tank, or even 3/4 tank (how curb weight is calculated).

3,730-30= 3,700 (Catback)
3,700-20=3,680 (drycell battery)
3,680-20=3,660 (fuel 6lbs per gallon, assuming half tank on race day)

Now that puts us at 3,660 lbs for a full interior, driverless 2015 GT auto as they show up for their Friday night drags. This is without any upgrades beyond the exhaust. If we're to assume that mystery driver bolts on DR's and drag wheels on the Mustang, we can slice 10 pounds off that too, down to 3,650lbs.
Lets just say mystery driver is male at 200 lbs, that makes a race weight 2015 GT Mustang, with EXTREMELY minor mods, at 3,850 lbs. Not exactly a featherweight, but no pig either.
The Recaro passenger seat isn't powered (AFAIK) so it should be fairly simple to unbolt it and pull it out, which would then put an otherwise stock race weight GT, with driver, at about 3,825 lbs.

Last edited by SpeedIsLife; 09-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #124
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I considered that a wash since you add weight with the LT's but then you lose it by deleting the cats.
I was meaning more for power then weight since they no longer use cast iron manifolds the long tubes are no longer a weight break. Long tubes and "exhaust" really wake the coyotes up. Add a boss intake and an aggressive tune and it will really run hard.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #125
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
I was meaning more for power then weight since they no longer use cast iron manifolds the long tubes are no longer a weight break. Long tubes and "exhaust" really wake the coyotes up. Add a boss intake and an aggressive tune and it will really run hard.
LTs only add around 8hp PEAK over an offroad X with stock headers. LT's on coyotes have been proven to only add low end torque as the advantage. The Boss mani, offroad x, aed/lund tune is what makes the car run 11's in the 2011-2014s.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #126
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
I could have sworn that there is a engine tune included with the Performance Package....
Think the tune is because the track pack uses 5w50 (I think) oil instead of 5w20. That was the 2014 though.