Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
mrpyle

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS - Synergy Green
Stock resonators, before and after opinions/input.

My apologies if this has been covered already. Did a quick over look of the threads.

So ... I'm looking for opinions and input from owners of the V6 that have been through this.

Installed MRTv1 ... followed up with Mag Res X Pipe. Now ... I am considering removing the factory resonators. But also wondering if it will cause more drone? Or how much it changes the exhaust note?

So if you have installed an axle back, then the x-pipe ... and then LATER removed the factory resonators, I would like to hear your before and after opinions/input.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
mrpyle

BUT ... do you have a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe?

And if so, was there much difference in drone from having left the factory resonators in and then removing them? That's what I want to find out. Instead of spending the time doing it, and finding out the drone is worse. I don't mind a little louder exhaust note though.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I honestly think the difference deleting the stock resonators makes depends on your aftermarket exhaust....its not the same for all.

I have done exactly what you are describing. Started with a magnaflow res-X, and a custom made Magnaflow axle back.

I wanted a bit more volume, and hopefully noticeable more growl so I decided to delete the stock resonators.

What I ended up with was not a big difference. I think it did increase the volume a bit, and maybe helped give more growl, but I really had to listen closely to hear much of a change. My drone didn't really change much either.

I believe this is all due to the fact that I'm running a complete magnaflow system which is known as being a bit more of a mellow, low rasp system. If I didn't have the resonated X, or maybe if I had a louder axleback/muffler delete I'm betting I would have noticed more of a change.

So based on the fact that you are already running the resonated X, I think you'll only pick up a slight amount of volume and drone (if any drone at all). If you can get it done pretty cheaply (I think they only charged me $40 for mine) its worth a try.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
mrpyle

Cool ... recently got a new mig welder ... so it'll be a weekend project for myself. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
PyLe,

I just recently visited a local Muffler Shop to do a Resonator Delete. The results are as followed.

1 - When my Engine starts, I hear an occasional popping sound which to me sounds badass.

2 - It's about 15 to 20% louder and you can hear the mean coming out of the V6 (that's of course if you have aftermarket mufflers (I have Super 44 by Flowmaster).

3 - I noticed my low-end Torque has increased a tiny winy bit as well (and I doubt it's psychological).

I'm pleased with the results even though I on occasion read that it takes away HP and low-end Torque which I think depends on the setup, but I noticed an INCREASE not DECREASE.

So far my Setup is a Spectre Cold Air Intake which was the very first MOD I did along with the STOCK Mufflers. I noticed a nice increase in Torque, Sound and HP.

The second thing I did was Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler's....After they were installed, I started my Vehicle and of course noticed the big difference in sound....HOWEVER I lost a lot of Torque and HP....which had me worried.

THEN I ended up coming across the Fuse Pull Thread for the V8ers. They said that since the V8 has different fuel tables, it only works for them....

BullCRAP...I did it myself let the 5 and 20 fuse' out over night, restarted my vehicle in the morning and the car felt like a newborn. It was back to normal with additional power.

Anyways my next mod will be either Summit, Pace Setter or Doug Thorley Shorty Headers because here in Commiefornia they regulate every damn thing you can possibly think of.

Sorry to jump to other stuff, but just wanted to give my two-positive-cents.

Just to help clarify some mis-conception. Fuse pull does not work for the V6. We do not have different map tables. WE have a computer that is always adjusting for the optimal conditions.

What you did when you pulled the fuse is reset everything to the begging, wiped the memory clean, and started over. So while it is relearning, it is running great, but after 100 miles or so it should settle back into the normal which was what you had before you pulled the fuses.

This has been confirmed and documented on other threads as well.

As for the resonators, Scrming pulled his when he had his Camaro. He had the MRT 2.0 at the time. He got a slightly deeper tone.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
so it looks like resonator delete is beneficial for an aftermarket exhaust set up?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
mrpyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
so it looks like resonator delete is beneficial for an aftermarket exhaust set up?
Yea idk ... this is probably going to be one of those things I will just have to do in order to find out.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
BiG_TiMe

Just took out the resonators. not a huge difference but the car is definitely louder. no rasp either
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
getting my res xpipe installed monday. going to see how it sounds with the bbk's and if i feel its not loud enough im chopping the resonators
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Would be nice to see a resonator cut down the center
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
BiG_TiMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy View Post
getting my res xpipe installed monday. going to see how it sounds with the bbk's and if i feel its not loud enough im chopping the resonators
trust me, BBKs without resonators are pretty loud, that's what i have
Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
mrpyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Be aware that you're officially going to piss off Drivers who own an Electric Vehicle.
Funny you mention that ... passed a Chevy Volt on the interstate a couple days ago.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
sappy

just had the res expipe put on... its so quite now.. maybe i was just use to it being ungodly loud. well the rasp is gone so thats good.. gonna wait a couple weeks wih this set up and see if i like it or chop the res
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
sappy

Update on the res x pipe. I love the fact that it took away the rasp but man do I miss the growl it had on a hard acceleration. Seems like nothing now. I had it before but the rasp took any enjoyment from it. I'm going to take off the reasonators and see if I can get some of the mean back. Any thoughts guys?