Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Looks like he had to back off quite a bit even midway. Should be room to gain. That thing sounds good.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. IMO the Z/28 was hyped way to much...Thinner glass, carbon ceramic brakes, smaller rims, 305's in all corners, no a/c or radio, and no power seats... I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.
I definitely believe that. Hopefully they will go back one day.

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Very impressive run considering the damp tarmac. I'm just hoping that the future owners of this car actually take it to the track and drive it as intended! Don't make it a garage queen to brag about. I am very happy with my ZL1 that is a daily driver.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
CobraBall

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40years View Post
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.
A ZL1 maybe. It's only a 100 lbs lighter than a SS.

Quote:
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
The ZL1 is the better daily driver. The Z28 seems like a pure track toy to me.
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Will someone post the video of the lap?
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.
Sorry, I miss some of the threads here and there

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
C'mon we've known from the initial release AC is available.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
+1 And the 305 tires upfront.... just food for thought.....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40years View Post
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.
I wonder if they were running the production tires during the run? If so, the driver has balls of steel to run that fast with those tires in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
I can live without AC; but I definitely need a complete sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
If it indeed ran that fast on a dry track you think they would publish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.
Agreed; but if they would drop in the ZL1 A6 trans and 1LE 3.90 rear gear I would definitely jump on that bandwagon; purists be damned.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #28
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
C'mon we've known from the initial release AC is available.
Yes and the vehicle is still not in anyone's hands yet. I'd like to see who actually opts for the stripped down butt naked version of this car. I know I couldn't.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote