Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #127
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
While I will agree they tend to give American cars bad reviews I don't believe it is because they are Anti-American. They just have a differing Automotive taste being from Europe. It is actually my favorite car show because instead of just re-listing the numbers and tests we have all seen 20 times they try to actually express what the car feels like to them. I like that they can have fun in a car and still be critical of it. A Boxster is fun to drive but I'd never tell someone to buy one.

And the thing I probably like the most is that they are honest. They will express every shortcoming of any car they recognize. I've seen them crack on European super cars with ridiculous numbers because they just weren't an all around good product. They can admit something has undrivable power even if it does make them smile, smoke and slide. They will say something is not worth the money. I really want to see them test it even though I think it will be frowned upon by all but Hammond for many of the supposed shortcomings people have already voiced about the car. To be honest they just have a differing philosophy on performance and aesthetic over there. And that's fine because the end result is automotive variety.

And we are being bathed in dry British wit by a show on the BBC. What do you expect? Laugh tracks and recycled sitcom jokes from the 80s?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #128
ColorBlind

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I actually like Top Gear and find it funny. They rarely have good things to say about American cars but I don’t watch it to pick my cars by what they say. I am looking forward to seeing the Camaro on there if for no other reason than to see what kind of lap time the Stig turns in a Camaro. I am sure they will blast it for numerous reasons but the lap time and price will speak for itself.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #129
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
I agree> I find Top Gear very entertaining, but if you want more from a driver's perspective 5th Gear is better. Tiff Needell and Vicky Henderson were actual race car drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Jeremy for Prime Minister!
Tiff Needell>Jeremy
Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #130
stratman
Goldmember

I like that the top gear guys aren't ex drivers. While they have a lot more track time than most people they give you a normal guy view of things. A pro driver and me are likely looking for very different things when reviewing a car. Plus they still have the Stig for serious time runs. The little I've seen of 5th gear was pretty good.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #131
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Man you guys have an inferiority complex. Jeremy will rag on the interior but I think he'll love the car.

And to those saying he hates American cars... not only did he like the ZR-1, he named it his car of the year for god sakes!

It's also just the way they are. Nothing is good to them. That's the way most Brits are.

Last edited by UCF w00t; 11-16-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #132
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I wonder if they would review the LT, SS, or both. My guess would be an manual LT RS for euros love of gas sippers.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #133
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They're an entertainment show!!! You can't seriously take their review for anything other than their opinion...and one skewed in such a way as to make you laugh. Like racing a Mustang around a dirt track against a real Mustang...and losing.

They'll probably drive it...complain about the insides...compliment the IRS, exterior design, and noise....and then give it an overall thumbs down for no apparent reason....Like every non-European car they review. See: Z06 review...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #134
stratman
Goldmember

I'm actually going to have to ask everyone who says he panned the ZO6 to go back and watch the review again. He basically spends 7 minutes saying the car is incredible and 30 seconds saying he didn't like driving it around town and wouldn't want to drive it as an everyday vehicle. He Compares it favorably with a much more expensive Ferrari and about the last thing he says is that it is "an astonishing car." Now on what planet is that hating the ZO6 or calling it crap? How many cars have you owned/been in you honestly had zero complaints about? Major or minor.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #135
Stevil

Drives: 2LT RS Imperial Blue Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post
LMAO i hope you are kidding. Jeremy will talk a ton of shit about the interior. You have some serious blinders on if you think that british douche won't rag on the camaro.

f' Jeremy
How True
Old 11-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #136
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I'm actually going to have to ask everyone who says he panned the ZO6 to go back and watch the review again. He basically spends 7 minutes saying the car is incredible and 30 seconds saying he didn't like driving it around town and wouldn't want to drive it as an everyday vehicle. He Compares it favorably with a much more expensive Ferrari and about the last thing he says is that it is "an astonishing car." Now on what planet is that hating the ZO6 or calling it crap? How many cars have you owned/been in you honestly had zero complaints about? Major or minor.
I had never seen the review before and I have to agree with you (and Clarkson for that matter). I've never heard of anyone suggesting the use of a Z06 as a daily driver. I believe people like Number 3 have said that as a daily driver, Camaro v6 > Camaro SS > Corvette > Corvette Z06. He raved about it until his comments about it being a poor daily driver (one of which was steering wheel on the wrong side lol). It beat the F430 and a Zonda. He ended up saying "If you're planning on using it on the road, you're better off with a normal one".
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #137
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #138
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
I saw that Z06 review and I have to say it wasn't seriously terrible until he started taking shots at Americans for their satellite voice navigation, the whole fast food restaurant sequence, and trying to find a Chinese food restaurant in Iraq. WTF?! he referred to some of the handling by saying the car took some "American Friendly Fire" on the track. Last I checked, England was still involved in the war. That kinda crap really irritates me. I love being sterotyped. Hey Jeremy, why do British have bad teeth? Do you enjoy chewing on boulders for breakfast every morning? I'm sure he'd love to hear that. I don't find his satire funny. It is just completely offensive to me and had nothing to do with the car. That's my point.

If you wanted to complain about the wide wheels, the crappy sound system, and anything else, that's fine, but please, stop insulting Americans because it is really insulting and very unbecoming of an otherwise decent car review show.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #139
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
it's a British car tv show... if you get over their Anti America humor their reviews are very spot on. You just have to learn to read over their BS. I think it's hilarious and love the show. I understand that he says what he says to get reactions. And he does it quite well.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #140
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
I saw that Z06 review and I have to say it wasn't seriously terrible until he started taking shots at Americans for their satellite voice navigation, the whole fast food restaurant sequence, and trying to find a Chinese food restaurant in Iraq. WTF?! he referred to some of the handling by saying the car took some "American Friendly Fire" on the track. Last I checked, England was still involved in the war. That kinda crap really irritates me. I love being sterotyped. Hey Jeremy, why do British have bad teeth? Do you enjoy chewing on boulders for breakfast every morning? I'm sure he'd love to hear that. I don't find his satire funny. It is just completely offensive to me and had nothing to do with the car. That's my point.

If you wanted to complain about the wide wheels, the crappy sound system, and anything else, that's fine, but please, stop insulting Americans because it is really insulting and very unbecoming of an otherwise decent car review show.
I'm sure he'd laugh and show you a couple of his teeth.

Come on, Americans are fat and we love fast food. It's true! We invented fast food! And he wasn't trying to find chinese food in iraq he asked for (and found) chinese food then asked for (and did not find) an Iraqi restaurant. It was a joke. Sheesh.

They have a different sense of humor than Americans generally due. It's usually very dry and they don't mind making fun of themselves. And if you think he rags on Americans, have you never heard him talk about Australians or French people?

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro, challenger, gear, top, vette