Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
Illegal lights in MA

Just figured I would give a heads up to fellow MA owners. I was at a local gas station and was showing someone the lights I installed in the grill. Out of nowhere this State Trooper comes up and reams me for the lights. Runs my info and tells me what he can do.........Did I mention he was off duty in his own vehicle. Anyways long story short, I didn't end up getting a fine , but was informed that any lights no matter the color are illegal in MA. I was under the impression that white was fine. I have a white and colored strip installed. So I got home and did some research and they are in fact illegal. According to the MA RMV website, any lights on a vehicle have to be SAE or DOT approved.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
But normally(at least the way it used to be) it's only like a $25 or $50 ticket if they want to be a dink, but $350 or something extra if they're blue or red. If they're a cool cop, they'll usually only give you a warning or fix-it ticket. I believe if you're in a parking lot and not driving, they can't do anything because they're not being used on road.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyz28 View Post
Just figured I would give a heads up to fellow MA owners. I was at a local gas station and was showing someone the lights I installed in the grill. Out of nowhere this State Trooper comes up and reams me for the lights. Runs my info and tells me what he can do.........Did I mention he was off duty in his own vehicle. Anyways long story short, I didn't end up getting a fine , but was informed that any lights no matter the color are illegal in MA. I was under the impression that white was fine. I have a white and colored strip installed. So I got home and did some research and they are in fact illegal. According to the MA RMV website, any lights on a vehicle have to be SAE or DOT approved.
The cop must be new. I have never heard of laws written for station parking lots. Now it may be illegal while on the road (if on) but I'd bet they are not while on private property.

Then again maybe if you own a sidearm in MA they can arrest you for murder.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I was under the impression that you have to be under motion for them to be considered illegal.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
The cop must be new. I have never heard of laws written for station paking lots. Now it may be illegal while on the road (if on) but I'd bet they are not while on private property.

Then again maybe if you own a sidearm in MA they can arrest you for murder.
What he said.
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
HotInferno

Drives: Aqua Blue Metalic 2LT
Sounds like he was just busting your chops and abusing his badge. On private property to begin with, and unless he observed you using them on the street he had no jurisdiction in running your info unless he had due cause to do so.
Should have taken his name, reported him to his Supervisors and give him a taste of being intimidated a little.
Not all LEO's are that way so don't sweat it!!! By the way observe those lighting laws and only display them on private property while showing your car!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
NurseB

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM with white rallys
Sounds like someone is a little power hungry with their probably new badge. I can't imagine my friends that are cops wasting their time on their day OFF for something like lights....ridiculous!! Hope you don't have to pay a lot!
NurseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
While your version sounds like he went beyond the scope of his duty or authority, I will say here in Indiana we're on duty 24/7 whether in our take home or not. Personally I have better things to do besides reaming someone for a infraction if that's what it was? I have seen violations and made mental notes, plant them today and reap them tomorrow but a tongue lashing was a bit much. If I had seen you showing them off and really wanted to inform you, I would have said "Hey bud, you know those are illegal and if and when you had said "No way" I would have then said they are, I should know and look it up as you later did as to say yourself some money and possible points. Here, we don't have vehicle inspections so pretty much anything goes however there are specifics on flashing lights in red/blue/white/amber and a few other colors. For example, you can have a red & blue light on your car or dash and drive with it but its not illegal until you light it up. Now go figure on that one. Laws are so strange and those who make them as well as those who implement cause of interpretation. States that have seatbelt laws but its not illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
Use caution my friend as if he ran your stuff as you said, he will be on the lookout for you to enforce the matter. Again, I would have better things to do with my off duty time.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
chronz4service, what would you say then about having the blue halos. You mention flashing lights in red or blue, but what if they don't flash, could I still run them while I drive? I live in Indiana and have been thinking about getting them. I have tried looking for state laws regarding different colored lights, but have not been able to find anything that made this clear to me.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
But normally(at least the way it used to be) it's only like a $25 or $50 ticket if they want to be a dink, but $350 or something extra if they're blue or red. If they're a cool cop, they'll usually only give you a warning or fix-it ticket. I believe if you're in a parking lot and not driving, they can't do anything because they're not being used on road.
He told me he could write me a $500 ticket, take them out of my car and seize them.

It was in the paper, I think the Enterprise a while ago.....Easton gave a $300 ticket and siezed blue/red lights. Now he had them on while driving. I only intended to use mine for show not while driving. I have a white led bar and a blue/red. I removed the blue/red that day but intend on re-installing them. I will definitely be more aware when showing them.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyz28 View Post
A local gas station is private property. He actually had no right to do what he did unless you drove on public streets using the lights. Gas station, private.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotInferno View Post
Sounds like he was just busting your chops and abusing his badge. On private property to begin with, and unless he observed you using them on the street he had no jurisdiction in running your info unless he had due cause to do so.
Should have taken his name, reported him to his Supervisors and give him a taste of being intimidated a little.
Not all LEO's are that way so don't sweat it!!! By the way observe those lighting laws and only display them on private property while showing your car!
Yup yup, I wouldn't have given the cop any information just because I don't have to. Private property.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
Yup yup, I wouldn't have given the cop any information just because I don't have to. Private property.
Actually He has the right to ask.....Its called the Common Law Right Of Inquiry.... Was the cop outta line .....IMO yeah ....Its something i would Never do .....Unless there was something purely criminal going on ..... I went about My business..... As for your actions from this day fwd......Yea....He has your number ......

Brian
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote