Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Adding 1/4" NPT 3/8" barb?

After looking over the various sections I honestly thought my post would receive quicker professional advise here in the "Forced Induction" section.

Here is my dilemma:

I recently purchased and installed a Elite Engineering EZ-2 Catch Can with the Clean Air Separator. The actual Catch Can came with 3 ports, one for the dirty side (coming from the PCV valve) and the other two being clean side ports.

I first modified the passenger side PCV line, rear portion to the valve going to the dirty side of the Can, (center), while one of the clean side ports with a one way air valve went to the center of the intake where the PCV line originally went before being modified.

Not really knowing where the second clean side port was to go I removed the fitting and capped it off for now. After searching and receiving much needed advise I learnt that the remaining port was to connect, in front of the throttle body, into the elbow portion of the air box

Here is the dilemma: Elite has advised me to drill a hole into the plastic elbow and insert the 1/4"NPT 3/8" barb. Then the 3/8" hose with a one way valve will connect to the barb. Problem is this plastic elbow is maybe 1/8" thick and I don't believe will be supportive or allowing for a secure long lasting fit? In short time I can picture the line and barb tilting.

There must be some sort of fitting our there that would allow for a more professional and "SECURE" setup? This is unchartered territory for me gents so please be kind! LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to add a picture of the stock air box, I have added an arrow as to where the barb is to be placed, I could use either a straight or 45 degree barb.

Thank you
Larry
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You could always find a nut with 1/4NPT threads and use it on the inside to secure the bard. Make sure and use some epoxy or thread locker to make sure the nut doesn't come off. You could also use sealant on the threads of the barb itself to secure into the tube.

The other option is to use a push in rubber grommet and use a push in fitting in the grommet. That is actually pretty secure as long as the grommet is tight in the tube.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
You could always find a nut with 1/4NPT threads and use it on the inside to secure the bard. Make sure and use some epoxy or thread locker to make sure the nut doesn't come off. You could also use sealant on the threads of the barb itself to secure into the tube.

The other option is to use a push in rubber grommet and use a push in fitting in the grommet. That is actually pretty secure as long as the grommet is tight in the tube.
Today I visited a local hardware that prides their self in their assortment of odd nuts/bolts etc. I grabbed several plastic 1/4"NPT 3/8" barbs, 45 degree as well as straight. Also had some brass nuts that had pipe threads. I was actually thinking of using a nut after I drilled a tight hole, apply red loc-tight and then the nut.

Your mention of a rubber push grommet is another idea......

Hoping for more ideas and maybe even a picture or two.

Thanks my friend.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Look through these on downtime between calls:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...e-adapter-kits

https://www.knfilters.com/filteraccess.htm
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote