Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Jc's1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
Oil change

Ok i have about 600 miles on my 1LE the dealer told me first change is at 7k MMMM WTF i said i would like it done at 1k they said could void my warr never heard of this then again this is my first american car so any help would be great.

Thanks
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
That's stupid, and untrue. You should've drained it when you first picked up the car btw.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
That's stupid, and untrue. You should've drained it when you first picked up the car btw.
I agree with the stupid part as that is just dumb and will not void a warranty. Change dealers.

The draining it upon pickup is just a waste of money. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I will be changing mine after 1000 mixed miles of light and spirited driving. It does have a 5 year 100k warranty if something goes wrong.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Jc's1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
It was not where i bought my car from rather a person that works at another dealer was talking to me so iasked about oil changes he was like yea those dont get touched till 7k then i said well few people at the performance shop here said to me at 1k get it changed . he was like well you might wanna check that LOL ok any way im doing mobile 1
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
BigRedMikeLV

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LE/2SS/RS
The rumblings around the forum say oil and limited slip diff fluid should be changed at 1k. The reason being the components in your engnine and diff move, and as they are new they are being worn in to make a proper operating seal. This is done with scoring on the components (like cylinder heads) which allow accelerated "wear" for a brief time to let the component naturally shape itself to the hole it goes in. Downside is that means metal shavings, which can build up in other places, and contaminate the fluids. 7k is beyond most oil change points, regardless of break in. It's usually about 3k unless you get one of those "long lasting" 8k or 12k oils.

I believe the manual says to do it at 1.5k for the first. Not sure, don't have one yet. But from my experience with other cars, 1k is a good spot for any fluids that are prone to contamination. Also, a clutch fluid cleaning would do good. There's a video floating around of how to do that and what to look for.
BigRedMikeLV is offline   Reply With Quote